Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned various HK receivers for the home, and was satisfied with them in their era. Can't say the same for the HK head unit on my '08. The radio sucks, but then I have the short antenna so that "could" be my fault.

The Sony DSX-S310BTX head unit looks tempting. Several questions:

1. How easy is it to install after the front fairing is off? What if any are the issues? Just unbolt, unplug, remove, reverse process?

2. If using an iPhone through the USB, is there charging power to the iPhone? Is the control through the Sony head unit? Found what may be the answer to this question at http://youtu.be/VK7UDtXEBtQ Looks to be the right choice for a replacement head unit. My '08 does not have CB. My Scala G9 communicators have A2DP. Any known downside to this head unit on the FLTR?

As always, thanks ahead for comments.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
some people with way more experience than me will chime in, but in the mean time

You'll need an aftermarket install kit to mount the radio...some popular ones are Hawg Wired, Biketronics, Sidecare cycles..... these are what hold the radio to the fairing and provide the correct look / fit for the faceplate.

Biketronics
http://www.biketronics.com/categories/RetroRadio™-Radio-Install-Kits/

Hawg Wired
http://hawg-wired.com/product.php/cPath/51

Side car
http://www.sidecarcycles.com/store/page/2

You'll also need some type of unit that will allow you to control the sony from your hand controls... again Hawg Wired or Biketronics are 2 of the most popular.

See the links above....

The installations looks pretty simple and straight forward.

That looks like a good head unit, lots of nice features. My biggest concern is that its not marine grade. That is a personal preference, I'm pretty sure a number of folks run non marine stereos (more than likely because they offer more creature features like the model you listed).

hope that helps a little... please anyone chime in if I'm off base.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I put the Sony DSX M-60 into mine with the biketronics module. A little soldering and heat tape and fifteen minutes - all done

BTW I have a brand new install kit available for sale if anyone wants it

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
If you go with a Non marine unit they make universal rain covers. Also dont forget to add in the cost of the conversion kit for the remote handle bar controls.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Bullduck, I can't help with the install but as far as the iphone, do yourself a favor and pick up the isimple cord from Ironaces($60) it keeps your phone fully charged the whole ride and is a pretty straight forward install. Its a life saver on nice trips if you need music or gps.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Bullduck, I can't help with the install but as far as the iphone, do yourself a favor and pick up the isimple cord from Ironaces($60) it keeps your phone fully charged the whole ride and is a pretty straight forward install. Its a life saver on nice trips if you need music or gps.
I think if your using the iPod interface with one of the 3rd party radios... it charges the iphone / ipod ...

no need for an additional cable.

maybe someone who runs one of the sony units can confirm that.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I think if your using the iPod interface with one of the 3rd party radios... it charges the iphone / ipod ...

no need for an additional cable.

maybe someone who runs one of the sony units can confirm that.
Yeah your right I think. My bad I thought you were just talking about plugging it into the aux in front of the sony and using it that way. Sorry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am waiting for that head unit to arrive next week. Ordered it from Biketronics with the install kit amp and speakers. Can't wait to put it in!

I installed a Sony head unit with the biketronics kit into a buddy's RG a couple of weeks ago and it was so simple even a cave man could do it! Plug and play and all handlebar controls worked and the sound was sooooooo much better!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, from http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/pPath/36
The products for easy install of the Sony DSX-S310BTX are

1 - HSA150 Harley To Sony Adapter
1 - DB235 DIN Radio Bezel
1 - DC235 DIN Radio Cradle

Price $220.

The price of the head unit on eBay is $175 +- $25. I don't see the suggested vendors selling this Sony head unit and the install components as a package. They should.

And Big Gary says add a weather cover to non-marine head unit. Another $20.

so, about $440

Is the HK unit not cradled in a stock common DIN cradle? I suppose not because its recommended that adopters buy one.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I installed a Sony head unit with the biketronics kit into a buddy's RG a couple of weeks ago and it was so simple even a cave man could do it!
thats good news, I've got a setup on the shelf waiting for my inner fairing to be painted.

I bought the HW controller and the Sidecar Cycles install kit.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
So, from http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/pPath/36
The products for easy install of the Sony DSX-S310BTX are

1 - HSA150 Harley To Sony Adapter
1 - DB235 DIN Radio Bezel
1 - DC235 DIN Radio Cradle

Price $220.

The price of the head unit on eBay is $175 +- $25. I don't see the suggested vendors selling this Sony head unit and the install components as a package. They should.

And Big Gary says add a weather cover to non-marine head unit. Another $20.

so, about $440

Is the HK unit not cradled in a stock common DIN cradle? I suppose not because its recommended that adopters buy one.
that about sums it up..

No the Sony will not use the same doc / cradle as the HK unit. I think the Sony units are thinner top to bottom so you need something with a faceplate to take up the extra space.

Also, most people offset the price by selling the stock unit...(300-350 normally).

For me it was an easy decision because I wanted the ability to play MP3's and I had bad luck with the ipod interface kit.

D.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, most people offset the price by selling the stock unit....
Nice. Just looked on eBay. Had not thought. This will waylay spousal complaints.
eBay HD/HK head unit plus OEM speakers starting bid at $600.

Fill up my PM box with offers for my OEM speakers and & OEM head unit.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Nice. Just looked on eBay. Had not thought. This will waylay spousal complaints.
eBay HD/HK head unit plus OEM speakers starting bid at $600.

Fill up my PM box with offers for my OEM speakers and & OEM head unit.
If you can get 600 thats pretty good... most of the ones I see listed are 300 to 350

1 - 15 of 15 Posts