Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I noticed this radio (Sony XAV-AX100) on Soundz Customz and wondered if anyone has replaced the standard radio that came with their bike? I never use my radio other than the bluetooth function to play music off the phone. I don't use the Nav, or anything else as I prefer my phone for pretty much everything. So, I wonder how this Sony radio would fit/replace what is existing so I can use the Apple Play functionality.

If you have one, can you tell me:

1. Do you like?
2. Can you see it?
3. Did it just replace what was there or is it mounted elsewhere?
4. How does it do in rain, sleet, snow, fire?
5. Would you do it again?

Thanks for any and all info.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike U. I am hoping someone here was the genie pig before I take the plunge. I just want to see if it completely replaces the stock radio or is it a funky install.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good day,

I noticed this radio (Sony XAV-AX100) on Soundz Customz and wondered if anyone has replaced the standard radio that came with their bike? I never use my radio other than the bluetooth function to play music off the phone. I don't use the Nav, or anything else as I prefer my phone for pretty much everything. So, I wonder how this Sony radio would fit/replace what is existing so I can use the Apple Play functionality.

If you have one, can you tell me:

1. Do you like?
2. Can you see it?
3. Did it just replace what was there or is it mounted elsewhere?
4. How does it do in rain, sleet, snow, fire?
5. Would you do it again?

Thanks for any and all info.
I replace mine about a year ago. It works fine. I have a 2016 RGS and I didn't have to replace the mount. screws right where the HD HU was. The only problem that I have is depending on where the sun is in the sky when riding i can't see the screen like I would like. GPS is a little hard to see as well, again depends on where the sun is in the sky. I have rode in the rain and my bike sit out in a heavy rain storm for about 7 hours one day. after that I rode it back to the hotel and it played well with no problems. about a 15 minute ride. next day rode it home and played it all the way, about 5 hour ride. I'm thinking about getting that Sony 5000 one, but at this point it is more of a want than need. I love it because everything in on my phone and android auto handle almost all of what I do anyway, I can talk on the phone with the mic and hear with my bike speakers. I would say the only thing I really don't like is that all of the android auto(AA) apps in the play store don't show up in AA, but they don't show up in my car (AA) either Samsung Note 9. I'm not sure if I should say this so I normally connect my usb and my phone that is mounted right over the odometer so I play YouTube videos while I'm riding.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replace mine about a year ago. It works fine. I have a 2016 RGS and I didn't have to replace the mount. screws right where the HD HU was. The only problem that I have is depending on where the sun is in the sky when riding i can't see the screen like I would like. GPS is a little hard to see as well, again depends on where the sun is in the sky. I have rode in the rain and my bike sit out in a heavy rain storm for about 7 hours one day. after that I rode it back to the hotel and it played well with no problems. about a 15 minute ride. next day rode it home and played it all the way, about 5 hour ride. I'm thinking about getting that Sony 5000 one, but at this point it is more of a want than need. I love it because everything in on my phone and android auto handle almost all of what I do anyway, I can talk on the phone with the mic and hear with my bike speakers. I would say the only thing I really don't like is that all of the android auto(AA) apps in the play store don't show up in AA, but they don't show up in my car (AA) either Samsung Note 9. I'm not sure if I should say this so I normally connect my usb and my phone that is mounted right over the odometer so I play YouTube videos while I'm riding.
spoonie, thanks for the info. Why do you like the Sony 5000 better? Did you upgrade with an amp and new speakers as well? And ya, watching vids while riding prob not best idea. :grin:

·
Registered
300 Posts
put the XAV-AX5000 in mine this winter, waiting till the snow melts but it sounds awesome (4 speaker/amp stereo) in my Garage and love the functions of the Android Auto, cant wait to use Google maps instead of the Harley Nav, it was terrible to set up.

not sure the functions of the 1000's vs the 5000's

But I have Dual USB, the sound EQ, full handlebar control, a remote for when Im at camp we can change music volume ect if need be

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sony is releasing an ax7000 really soon. Not sure the difference in it and the 5000 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
spoonie, thanks for the info. Why do you like the Sony 5000 better? Did you upgrade with an amp and new speakers as well? And ya, watching vids while riding prob not best idea. :grin:
No, I didn't get one because I have the 100. Like I said, it was more like a want than a need because the one I have is fine nothing wrong with it. you know how we bikers do, see something then we want it knowing we don't need it because there is nothing wrong with the one you have,lol. I already have an amp and speakers. Arc 600.4 with 602's 6.5 and JL 6x9's

·
Registered
257 Posts

I’m curious, are you using any kind of rain cover on it when it rains? I ride a lot, bike see’s more than it’s fair share of rain. I can’t find a double din that is “weatherproof” but I’ve seen a couple videos on YouTube showing a guy spraying it down with water.

I have the inner out of my 2011 for a paint repair, and thought about upgrading to a double din while I have it apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts