Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Sony Xav-Ax5000 is technically a single din stereo with double din display, has anyone installed it in the older Road Glides similar to how people install the flip outs? Technically it can be done but just wanting to know if anyone has done it. Looked into modifying inner fairing with that double din adapter but went against it since it would require new paint and a bunch molding just to get a new stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
looks like a bit of work. good on ya....

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought the adapter and installed it myself versus paying custom shop.

Congrats on a Job Well Done!
Make sure to post a pic when you’re finally done.
Mike U.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Will do

I would also like to see the finished product. Looks like a nice job. I may have to try this since my inner needs repainted . Do mods like this keeps me from buying a new glide and it's soo much cheaper. :)

Reactions: Mike U and James

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly! Adapter was only $68 bucks on eBay and Amazon.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Exactly! Adapter was only $68 bucks on eBay and Amazon.

Did you have to cut the oem inner or does this just mold over the original ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have to cut the oem inner or does this just mold over the original ?

You have to cut the oem inner, cut quite a bit but not too close to the gauges like other adapters. Once it’s cut, just drop it in and bond it. I applied body filler on mine so it would look like it came factory. First time doing it also.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
You have to cut the oem inner, cut quite a bit but not too close to the gauges like other adapters. Once it’s cut, just drop it in and bond it. I applied body filler on mine so it would look like it came factory. First time doing it also.

What bonding product did you use ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use 3M 08237 to bond ABS parts including those double DIN adapters. Extremely strong and bonds fast.

Reactions: Big_gary

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What bonding product did you use ?
I used the same 3m prodcut listed above. Be careful when adding the hardner, if you put too much it will start to harden before you can it laid out good or starts hardening before you can apply more filler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here’s the final product. Forgot to post actually. I’m using the Alpine ILX-W650. Bought a second older rod glide and want a touchscreen but would rather mount one in existing fairing. Anyone mounted one of the new single din touchscreen in the older style yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here’s the final product. Forgot to post actually. I’m using the Alpine ILX-W650. Bought a second older rod glide and want a touchscreen but would rather mount one in existing fairing. Anyone mounted one of the new single din touchscreen in the older style yet?

How is the Alpine working for you? Do you like it? or would you recommend a different one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts