Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Being that I've been in the high end car audio industry for 19 years now, I can tell you what is most commonly considered the best.

Hushmatt, Second Skin, and Accumat are my 3 go to products.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Anyone ever try Peel N Seal? (Roofing section of Lowe's, Home Depot $13-30). Laugh all you want, but it gets pretty good reviews on car forums. I've used Dynamat Extreme in my car trunk, it works, but is expensive. There's a vendor on eBay who sells heavy weight butyl sound deadener I'd like to use on my truck.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i used Dynamat all over , with 6" dynasorb behind the speakers...i dont think it helped the sound at all
It might in a garage, but it does nothing at 70+ mph. There are no acoustics outdoors for the soundwaves to really collide or deflect off of. You kinda have to have a setup like on a boat where you have horns or tweeters near hearing level and bass inside of an enclosure to transfer sound through solid surfaces to your body. A taller windshield can help direct sound towards your ears.

I am interested in what materials make a good sound deadener, to justify the cost. The heavier weight material will deaden more sound, or stacking and overlapping of materials. The tar-like material seems to be common among all of them, and in that case why not just go with an inexpensive heavy mat, regardless of brand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have a lot of customers who dump money into sound deadening on their bikes, and usually they are disapointed with end results. bikes do not offer much as far as getting high quality sound, so the difference that sound deadener will make is very minimal.

however, in the shop where results are much easier to judge than on the road, the best results i have personally gotten was dynamat the inside of the bag (lid included) and then carpeting it on top of that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Last weekend I installed an Elf Mini Amp and Polk MM651's, sound deadened the fairing, turned in on in the shop and me and my buddy said "wow, awesome"! He has the HD Boom Audio speakers in his RG and there was a huge difference side by side.
Went out on the road and turned mine up and thought "I just spent 9 hours and over $400 for that?!?!?"
With my pipes, and all the buffeting, can't tell any difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts