Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone else has heard a scrubbing sound as the rear wheel turns when you're slowing down on the brake rotor side like me. HD shop couldn't find the source and I can't either except found a couple of lines on the rotor-brake pads too tight maybe? Seems to be getting louder though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
you only hear the sound when you're using the rear brake?
if so, I would say that you're just hearing the pad against the rotor.... it's probably nothing.

you want your brake pads tight when you're using them! LOL!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hearing the sound when slowing down with no rear brake being used and it gets slower as the wheel slows down-may be nothing to worry about but would still like to figure out where it's coming from.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Was thinking rotor rub too. Might be a high spot on rotor. I seem to remember always getting this sound with new pads.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I asked about the same issue and the dealer found nothing wrong with the brakes and didn't seem to think there was an issue. My driveway is very steep and after 500 miles I noticed a squeaking while backing out of the garage in addition to the rub sound and the dealership again said nothing was found and I was probably riding the brakes??? I disagreed and got the blank stare which led me to registering to this site. Anyone else?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine does it too. Sounds like a semi slowing down, just not that loud. Really noticeable when coasting to a stop between cars. Check some of the other forums, they have plenty of theories, but the general consensus is the Isolated Drive System, which seems to be where the noise is coming from. However nobody can get a dealer to find anything wrong (go figure). Everytime I take it to the dealer (twice) I ask them to check it, but both times they didn't find anything wrong.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Deuce, no the sound doesn't quit when the rear brake is applied.......
then it's not in your brakes.
I have heard some sounds from my "old" deuce from the front brake when I would slow down, but it was just a normal sound from the caliper while I was using the front brake.. that would have been my guess "if" you only heard the sound while using the rear brakes..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mine is a 2011 and I have what I think is the same sound... feel like I am in a Charlie Brown cartoon where the parents are talking wooo wooo wooo wooo wooo...

I raised it on the lift, started it up and tested to see if I could replicate the sound, no such luck... easy to hear while riding... Mine was cold, well, from work to my house is only 26 miles one way... with some 12 miles on a 70mph highway... but not enough for the oil to go up to 200+ degrees... not even sure if that is relevant...

On the way from work yesterday there was a long lonely stretch of road... that was the only noise I could hear (specially since I am now filtering everything else :rolleyes:). I thought bearing noise but is more like a plastic getting scratch by the tire, or the drive belt... I thought the rear brakes were biding... but not that I can tell since applying the brakes does not modify the sound... does not happen on the lift so it is something load related. I checked air pressure on the tire, nope...

Once it stops raining here, I will try to see if I can record the sound, without crashing of course :)

Anyone else here has been able to figure this one out?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Several reasons this could be happening... check all of them to eliminate all possibilities. But at the end, it seems to be coming from the belt.

The fuel tank vent tube can get out of position and drag on the inside lower part of the drive belt. The vent tube is fairly hard plastic and can make that type of noise. You will need to pull the seat, left side cover and the left saddlebag off to get to it and see where it goes. The vent tube should go behind the swing-arm pivot. If it gets pulled up for some reason, the tube will slip over the swing-arm and get against the drive belt. It happened on my '09 Ultra Classic. I'm not sure that's what your problem is but it's worth looking into.

You will need to find the fuel tank vent tube where it comes out under the back of the fuel tank near several wire harnesses. As you pull up on the vent tube, you will be able to look in the area near the fuse box and the frame and see the vent tube.
I saw there were some more postings on this topic so I thought I would post an update.

My dealer basically shrugged his shoulders and was adamant it was not an issue at all. Actually he is a good techie and I did agree with him, it was a belt chaffing noise.

Anyway, the sound basically disappeared after a 1000 mile or so. I now have 7k miles on the bike and the noise has gone, so I also just shrug my shoulders. I do not believe it was serious
I have had a similar noise what was recomended to me by a Harley tech was a very small dab of Poly-Oil (pn 99860-81)a couple of places on the drive belt. It has quieted mine down everytime.
Poly-Oil | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA
But any non tacky lube will probally have the same result.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I would think that it would be a wheel bearing issue. There are 3 wheel bearings in the rear wheel assembly, these bearings are made in China and are not of the best quality IMO. I had the rear wheel bearings go out in my 08 at 16K miles and had to have the bike hauled to the HD dealer for repairs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would think that it would be a wheel bearing issue. There are 3 wheel bearings in the rear wheel assembly, these bearings are made in China and are not of the best quality IMO. I had the rear wheel bearings go out in my 08 at 16K miles and had to have the bike hauled to the HD dealer for repairs.
Have a 2010.Made the same "rubbing" noise, still does. Brought it to two different dealers and both came up empty. Does the noise stop when you guys slightly give some throttle? Mine seems to. What a pain!!! I'm going to return to the dealer soon. This isn't normal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Guys I had the same problem and took into two dealerships with no answer from either. While I was having some mods done by my local independent shop I asked if they'd take a look at it and see what they thought. After a test ride and a few minutes they told me that it was a belt issue. On the lift with a warm up ride first they could see the belt get tight and loose like a out of round pulley, so I took it back to the dealer with the indy's input and they again said yes they could see the belt tension change as they rolled the wheel but that everything was in spec. My fix..............louder pipes! Go figure.

Rob

·
Registered
379 Posts
Get your wheel bearings checked. Homeboy of mine had his rearend lockup...Almost tossed his ass off.....He thought tranny, but it was the bearings. My fatboy made a really weird sound like that on the front. Took it down and viola!!!! Don't hesitate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts