Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in some forums that use of a Soundstream Nano Class D amplifier kills FM radio reception. I have two questions;

1. Is it true (reports from actual users)?
2. What causes that?

I'm shopping for an AMP to install in my 2015 RG and while lots of folks highly recommend the RF PBR300X4 and PBR300X2, I'm usually one to go against the grain :)

So I've been considering the Soundstream as well as the Blaupunkt EMA 255. The SS will have to be off the list if it kills FM reception.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I have read in some forums that use of a Soundstream Nano Class D amplifier kills FM radio reception. I have two questions;

2. What causes that?

I'm shopping for an AMP to install in my 2015 RG and while lots of folks highly recommend the RF PBR300X4 and PBR300X2, I'm usually one to go against the grain :)

So I've been considering the Soundstream as well as the Blaupunkt EMA 255. The SS will have to be off the list if it kills FM reception.
It don't kill it, but it does affect it some. I hear the shielding in the amp is better in some than other Manufacturers.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts

·
Registered
8,291 Posts

2. What causes that?

I ran the RF pbr 300 X2 and loved it. The only problem was it didn't last long down here in the GA. Heat and humidity. The RF does run very hot.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, the link that BMR14 shared was very informative. Like you I was really excited when I read about the chokes because I have a box of them sitting around the house from all sorts of other electronic / audio / video projects.

At any rate, I'm kind of in the same situation as you (I'm in Northwest Arkansas) and it does get really hot and humid in my neck of the woods as well.

I really only want to have to do this once and button it up for a while, but I do listen to FM quite a bit while riding and would be sorely disappointed if I lost all my FM reception :(

Between HU flashes, magic boxes, picking the right amp and speakers (fairing only) I've been getting a headache and have almost decided I don't ride enough to make it all worth the hassle :(

In the interim I've installed the JBL GT0638 6.5 tri-ax speakers so I guess that I'll just sit and stew on this for a while. This is my first touring Harley and it seems like every time I touch the bike something goes wrong. I traded my 2011 FXDC in on this new RG. The FXDC was built like a tank, but it seems like HD has taken a lot of "cost" cutting corners on the new bike.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have not really noticed any significant loss with my FM. There are 1 or 2 stations I could barely get before the AMP that no longer come in, however the majority of the stations still work pretty well. I have my amp wire run as far from my antenna wire as possible and also still have the antenna in the stock location with the amp in the fairing.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Yep, the link that BMR14 shared was very informative. Like you I was really excited when I read about the chokes because I have a box of them sitting around the house from all sorts of other electronic / audio / video projects.

At any rate, I'm kind of in the same situation as you (I'm in Northwest Arkansas) and it does get really hot and humid in my neck of the woods as well.

I really only want to have to do this once and button it up for a while, but I do listen to FM quite a bit while riding and would be sorely disappointed if I lost all my FM reception :(

Between HU flashes, magic boxes, picking the right amp and speakers (fairing only) I've been getting a headache and have almost decided I don't ride enough to make it all worth the hassle :(

In the interim I've installed the JBL GT0638 6.5 tri-ax speakers so I guess that I'll just sit and stew on this for a while. This is my first touring Harley and it seems like every time I touch the bike something goes wrong. I traded my 2011 FXDC in on this new RG. The FXDC was built like a tank, but it seems like HD has taken a lot of "cost" cutting corners on the new bike.
Putting the SS in the bag is an other option too. You also get to tune the system better with the amp in the bag. I thought about moving mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I still have retained my FM signal with my SS amp. I don't listen to FM, so it wasn't a deal breaker if it was ultimately lost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have the Soundstream Nano and I have issues with FM reception. I also have Hertz speakers and the combination is no where as clean as my Focal/PBR setup on my Street Glide. I am looking to upgrade to a complete JL Audio set in the near future. I just dislike having to keep pulling the fairing on and off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts