Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering why it seems nobody uses this little class D amp with its small size and power output? Seems a good match for a couple sets of 2 ohm polks or Kappas. Is this not a good amp?

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Looks like a nice amp. I would have tried it if I knew about it . I like their Nano I'm running now.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Big_Gary. I did buy one for $98. Since everyone seems to only be using the larger sized soundstream I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking at a Picasso or tarantula nano. I don't know sh*t about amps so I'm lost. I need a new amp to run the four Polk MM 6.5's in the fairing. Maybe this little guy won't handle it. I took the little PBR 300X2 heater out and put it in my car. That's a hot little somebitch when you're making it work. I know someone has a suggestion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking at the specs, it looks like the stealth is 125x4 @ 2ohm vs the nano at 130x4 @ 2 ohm. Might be worth giving up the 5 watts for size. The stealth is 3" shorter and 1.75" more narrow. Seems like it would make it a better fit and be able to be mounted on top of the radio. Since I have not installed my nano yet, I may order one of these and give it a shot.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Looking at the specs, it looks like the stealth is 125x4 @ 2ohm vs the nano at 130x4 @ 2 ohm. Might be worth giving up the 5 watts for size. The stealth is 3" shorter and 1.75" more narrow. Seems like it would make it a better fit and be able to be mounted on top of the radio. Since I have not installed my nano yet, I may order one of these and give it a shot.
Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I installed the Polk MM6501 and Polk MM651 in the fairing along with this little Soundstream and it works very well. Not going to lie. The gains are pretty high and the volume knob is at 70% before I can't stand in front of it but it sounds great. No distortion. None that I can hear anyway. I railed this stuff at extremely high levels, much higher than needed at freeway speed, for over 20 minutes in the shop while I was outside and hardly a bit of warmth from the amp. Very surprised. For a budget build or anyone short on space I'd definitely recommend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive been running one for about a year now with a pair of Focal 5.25 speakers. Im very happy with the setup, the wife says she can hear it at 70mph.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for your reply Big_Gary. I did buy one for $98. Since everyone seems to only be using the larger sized soundstream I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking at a Picasso or tarantula nano. I don't know sh*t about amps so I'm lost. I need a new amp to run the four Polk MM 6.5's in the fairing. Maybe this little guy won't handle it. I took the little PBR 300X2 heater out and put it in my car. That's a hot little somebitch when you're making it work. I know someone has a suggestion.
if you were running (4) Polk MM651s on it, I guess it was hot. That amp is not designed to run (4) 2 ohm speakers unless you had them wired in series.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the miscommunication. Only had two in place with the PBR. when I added the MM6501's I replaced that amp with the little Soundstream.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just got this little st4.1000, could some one tell me what gauge wire to use for power and do I hook it up to both red wires on the input or just one, the book is clear as mud.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here's a picture of the wires for the power connection in the back of the amp for the power not sure if I'm supposed to hook power up to both red wires or just one. And I guess I could use ohms law to figure out the amperage draw but I'm a little concerned about the small wiring going into the amp, looks to me like it's only a 16 gauge wire on the red. Also the book says to use a frame around not the battery negative I've always run the negative from the amp to the battery

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here's a picture of the wires for the power connection in the back of the amp for the power not sure if I'm supposed to hook power up to both red wires or just one. And I guess I could use ohms law to figure out the amperage draw but I'm a little concerned about the small wiring going into the amp, looks to me like it's only a 16 gauge wire on the red. Also the book says to use a frame around not the battery negative I've always run the negative from the amp to the battery
I've never hooked up an amp on a bike. But on a car you just have the one power and one ground. With a remote wire. Have you tried just the one power and one ground to see if it powers the amp? (Don't forget the in-line fuses)

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
The smaller Guage red wire is probably the remote turn on wire. They are usually around 18 Guage.
Not sure what book your reading, but the SS st. Online instructions say to ground the main power /ground to the battery . Also Looks like your amp has two grounds from the destructions I read.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'll have to look online, but the 2 red ate the power, the blue is the remote, if you look at the pic of the amp you can see it has 2 power and 2 ground.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
I'll have to look online, but the 2 red ate the power, the blue is the remote, if you look at the pic of the amp you can see it has 2 power and 2 ground.
That's weird. Not the same on the Nano's. I wonder if the extra power & ground are for connecting an additional amp in line.
I'd give Sound stream a call or email.
PS. I re read the destruction s , your right. Only the power line comes from the battery. Ground to body.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just got off the phone with tech support was told to hook up both power wires the reason they use to smaller wires was to be compact on the size for the connection was told to use number 10 gauge wire also grounds do not go back to the battery unless the battery is less than 1 foot away from the amp

1 - 20 of 22 Posts