Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys I just had a sound customz system installed consisting of iron 65's in fairing and lowers with their amp and DSP. First off The quality of the wiring and brackets is so much better than anything Ive seen , really over the top two thumbs up without a doubt. The speakers and amp construction all seem really high end as far as to the naked eye , over sized magnets and good construction on motor assembly. Install was done by Jared of Shift garage in Mesa,AZ and he did a fantastic very clean job.

On to the actual sound , with the bike turned on and not running there is a very faint buzz that comes through the speakers which may be normal or could be a slight problem honestly I haven't even contacted Jared about it yet. The sound with just over a 3rd in volume is already louder than the factory two speaker system as the bars go up so does my level of impressed to a point ( more on that later) . The sound Quality is actually much better than I expected , I have never actually heard a Soundz system and chose them due to recommendations from this forum . The speakers are warmer than any Co-ax 6.5s Ive ever heard , highs are equally impressive , Bass will start to get muddy at the upper end of the volume spectrum . This set up sounds great on country,Rock, Electronica and most pop music although heavy bass rap will quickly remind you that you are not running a full system with subs.

Going down the road the system causes people in traffic to give you more shitty looks than a set of shorty drags :wink:. Highway speeds The system really cranks out until the 70 mph range and then does get washed out with wind noise. This does improve dramatically if you dip your head down under the wind flow at which point you can probably hear this set up at any speed your bike is capable of. Long story short Ive finally come to the conclusion that no system is going to let my 6'3" self hear music with a stock windscreen. I gave it my best shot but looks as if a windshield will be ordered and my smooth beautiful front end will be a thing of the past:crying: .

My final thoughts are, The Soundz system really is a thing of beauty but it won't magically make wind disappear and isn't loud enough that people will think Five Finger Death Punch is doing a concert three blocks over and I honestly don't know that any plug and play system would . I will say that this four speaker set up is night and day better than my fiends 6 speaker JM Rokker system . also Im sure that an audiophile who doesn't mind cutting into harnesses and getting sound at all costs could put together something louder and cleaner. Would i do it again? absolutely ! Is it the magic system that you can hear at 125 mph with no windshield ? No its not and I am not sure that even exists , but if you read enough info on this forum Im sure you can convince yourself it does:smile:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sounds like your happy with the set up and thats what matters.
You made a much better choice then your friend thats for sure.
Be careful with the audio stuff, you get the bug quick!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You will get used to the taller windshield. I went from a short klockworks to a 12" on my 08. I used to switch back and forth depending on what I was doing. The taller shield has been on over a year now. The protection is worth it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Much appreciate the review. Would you mind passing on what the cost of this system was?
I've really been thinking about going with Soundz as well. I know they have 3 or more levels of their equipment.
If i'm thinking correctly, yours is in the middle or so.

One of my biggest concerns is with bass. I have a buddy that has one of their older setups. (like 3 or 4 years ago, they've really
come a long ways since then). His system was really loud and clear, but had zero bass. So can you tell me what your opinion is on
the bass of your setup? I know you mentioned it there on how it goes away at the upper levels. But what about low and mid stream?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Much appreciate the review. Would you mind passing on what the cost of this system was?
I've really been thinking about going with Soundz as well. I know they have 3 or more levels of their equipment.

One of my biggest concerns is with bass. I have a buddy that has one of their older setups. (like 3 or 4 years ago, they've really
come a long ways since then). His system was really loud and clear, but had zero bass. So can you tell me what your opinion is on
the bass of your setup? I know you mentioned it there on how it goes away at the upper levels. But what about low and mid stream?
Bass to you might be different to me. To me, no 6.5 speaker is going to have bass, they aren't designed to have bass. It might be not as ear piercing high as some other speakers. If you want bass on a bike you need more then fairing speakers to even out the sound. Since having lid speakers, no way I could go back to fairing only. 6x9, 8s,10s, that is what you need for bass.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bass to you might be different to me. To me, no 6.5 speaker is going to have bass, they aren't designed to have bass. It might be not as ear piercing high as some other speakers. If you want bass on a bike you need more then fairing speakers to even out the sound. Since having lid speakers, no way I could go back to fairing only. 6x9, 8s,10s, that is what you need for bass.
appreciate your response philly. And I totally understand what you are saying about bass w/ 6.5" round speakers.

Here is what I am talking about though. I have a CVO RGU. Boom audio Stage 1 (came stock). comparing my bike to my buddy's bike with the Soundz system and keeping volume somewhat equal, my sound had more bass and sounds better to me (as it did to several others standing around when we were comparing).

So what I"m looking for is the the best system I can afford that suites my taste. Problem there is, there is no way to tell without trying stuff over and over. I can't afford that. Sure would be nice to get a few of you guys that have some nice systems all together in one place and be able to actually hear them.

Also, I don't know that I will ever go to 6x9s. I don't want to loose any saddlebag space. The wife and I travel all the time and space is already limited.

I will listen to any and all suggestions that anyone has.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
appreciate your response philly. And I totally understand what you are saying about bass w/ 6.5" round speakers.

Here is what I am talking about though. I have a CVO RGU. Boom audio Stage 1 (came stock). comparing my bike to my buddy's bike with the Soundz system and keeping volume somewhat equal, my sound had more bass and sounds better to me (as it did to several others standing around when we were comparing).

So what I"m looking for is the the best system I can afford that suites my taste. Problem there is, there is no way to tell without trying stuff over and over. I can't afford that. Sure would be nice to get a few of you guys that have some nice systems all together in one place and be able to actually hear them.

Also, I don't know that I will ever go to 6x9s. I don't want to loose any saddlebag space. The wife and I travel all the time and space is already limited.

I will listen to any and all suggestions that anyone has.
Arc 602s. Pump 250-300 at each of them

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
On to the actual sound , with the bike turned on and not running there is a very faint buzz that comes through the speakers which may be normal or could be a slight problem honestly I haven't even contacted Jared about it yet.
I have the same faint buzzing with my ARC Audio MPAK 12 kit with 4 speakers. The installers got it down to where I only hear it with no sound and no engine running, but ignition on. Call it nominal and normal interference with a much improved audio kit.

The same thing with huge magnets and much improved sound quality at a lower volume was experienced by me with the MPAK 12. With a 14" shield, I can hear clearly at 85MPH. So yeah, get a shield. There are some that look sporty and function great, even in larger sizes. Unfortunately, my Cee Bailey is no longer made.

Great write-up and thanks for the info on SOUNDZ. Was curious about them.

Arc 602s. Pump 250-300 at each of them
You betcha! This system rocks with the 602s!

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Ok guys I just had a sound customz system installed consisting of iron 65's in fairing and lowers with their amp and DSP. First off The quality of the wiring and brackets is so much better than anything Ive seen , really over the top two thumbs up without a doubt. The speakers and amp construction all seem really high end as far as to the naked eye , over sized magnets and good construction on motor assembly. Install was done by Jared of Shift garage in Mesa,AZ and he did a fantastic very clean job.

On to the actual sound , with the bike turned on and not running there is a very faint buzz that comes through the speakers which may be normal or could be a slight problem honestly I haven't even contacted Jared about it yet. The sound with just over a 3rd in volume is already louder than the factory two speaker system as the bars go up so does my level of impressed to a point ( more on that later) . The sound Quality is actually much better than I expected , I have never actually heard a Soundz system and chose them due to recommendations from this forum . The speakers are warmer than any Co-ax 6.5s Ive ever heard , highs are equally impressive , Bass will start to get muddy at the upper end of the volume spectrum . This set up sounds great on country,Rock, Electronica and most pop music although heavy bass rap will quickly remind you that you are not running a full system with subs.

Going down the road the system causes people in traffic to give you more shitty looks than a set of shorty drags :wink:. Highway speeds The system really cranks out until the 70 mph range and then does get washed out with wind noise. This does improve dramatically if you dip your head down under the wind flow at which point you can probably hear this set up at any speed your bike is capable of. Long story short Ive finally come to the conclusion that no system is going to let my 6'3" self hear music with a stock windscreen. I gave it my best shot but looks as if a windshield will be ordered and my smooth beautiful front end will be a thing of the past:crying: .

My final thoughts are, The Soundz system really is a thing of beauty but it won't magically make wind disappear and isn't loud enough that people will think Five Finger Death Punch is doing a concert three blocks over and I honestly don't know that any plug and play system would . I will say that this four speaker set up is night and day better than my fiends 6 speaker JM Rokker system . also Im sure that an audiophile who doesn't mind cutting into harnesses and getting sound at all costs could put together something louder and cleaner. Would i do it again? absolutely ! Is it the magic system that you can hear at 125 mph with no windshield ? No its not and I am not sure that even exists , but if you read enough info on this forum Im sure you can convince yourself it does:smile:
Congrats Man

Got to have good tunes ripping thru the country side

Swomack

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well I will address all 3 questions separately :

1. Cost - If you go on Soundz website and build your desired system it will give you a total price . The way i understood it is, that is the price whether you order it or have it installed by one of their dealers or at a show.

2. System level - I don't think they do "stages" anymore. The high range are the carbon series , however I didn't give them a budget I just told them what i wanted out of a system and what I've got is what they recommended .

3. Bass - I guess as Philly proposed , it really is subjective to the individual . On that note I will give you a real world example of this particular Soundz system. Listening to Eminem Drug Ballad at half volume it will vibrate the saddle bags and render the mirrors completely useless. I don't know if that helps you or not but I will say Ive never heard any Boom audio system sound anything like this. Good luck in your search

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I will address all 3 questions separately :

1. Cost - If you go on Soundz website and build your desired system it will give you a total price . The way i understood it is, that is the price whether you order it or have it installed by one of their dealers or at a show.

2. System level - I don't think they do "stages" anymore. The high range are the carbon series , however I didn't give them a budget I just told them what i wanted out of a system and what I've got is what they recommended .

3. Bass - I guess as Philly proposed , it really is subjective to the individual . On that note I will give you a real world example of this particular Soundz system. Listening to Eminem Drug Ballad at half volume it will vibrate the saddle bags and render the mirrors completely useless. I don't know if that helps you or not but I will say Ive never heard any Boom audio system sound anything like this. Good luck in your search
What Soundz equipment did they install in your sled? I have the Boom II and would be interested in something better.
Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
What Soundz equipment did they install in your sled? I have the Boom II and would be interested in something better.

Thanks!

Go to the Soundz website and look it up.
You just plug in your bike and then start choosing what all speaker locations you want.
When given a choice what level speaker you want, choose the carbon series (that’s what he has and it’s their top of the line)
When you get done, it’ll give you the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great review.

So now a little more about Soundz and their product, The iron65 is a great speaker. However I can tell you honestly since I have 2 buddies who have the carbon 6.5 speakers in the fairing and lower fairings these put out some amazing sound. 1 has a 15 Roadglide 2 sets of carbons in front and 5x7 in bag lids, the other has a 14 sgs 2 sets of carbons in front 5x7 in kids and another carbon set in tour pac, You would not believe the amount of sound clarity and bass that is coming from these. They crank out some amazing volume and bass!!!!

I’ve ridden both bikes, and have a hard time hearing the exhaust over the system, and they have d&d pipes!!!
You can feel the bass thru the crash bar with the lowers.
Are they expensive, yes. But you get what you pay for here. Peter has come up with an outrageous system that can compete anywhere while keeping a stock setup for speakers. Not using bags for multiple amps and speakers that take up all the space.

If you’re wanting more bass out of your setup. You should upgrade to the carbons. You will not be disappointed!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great review.

So now a little more about Soundz and their product, The iron65 is a great speaker. However I can tell you honestly since I have 2 buddies who have the carbon 6.5 speakers in the fairing and lower fairings these put out some amazing sound. 1 has a 15 Roadglide 2 sets of carbons in front and 5x7 in bag lids, the other has a 14 sgs 2 sets of carbons in front 5x7 in kids and another carbon set in tour pac, You would not believe the amount of sound clarity and bass that is coming from these. They crank out some amazing volume and bass!!!!

I’ve ridden both bikes, and have a hard time hearing the exhaust over the system, and they have d&d pipes!!!
Are they expensive, yes. But you get what you pay for here. Peter has come up with an outrageous system that can compete anywhere while keeping a stock setup for speakers. Not using bags for multiple amps and speakers that take up all the space.

If you’re wanting more bass out of your setup. You should upgrade to the carbons. You will not be disappointed!!!!

Honestly its reviews like this that led me to be the exact opposite of what you suggest - A bit disappointed.
Once again this system was done by soundz suggestions , I didn't ask for irons nor did I give a budget , I explained the types of music I listen to and went with their suggestion . They actually steered me away from the carbons because they didn't feel it was a good fit .
Personally I have a Fuel Moto 2 into 1 and there is no way on this green earth your going to hear this system over my exhaust at full tilt. I was advised bag lids are great for fill when in a parking lot but really lost when you get going down the road .
I am on the side of the fence that Im very happy with the quality and sound of this set up. However , I think my expectations were a bit unrealistic when I started due to reviews just like you posted . I put down my honest thoughts of the Soundz product because I thought people would want to view it from a very realistic perspective.
Once agin do I think its the best plug and play available ? Yes I do. I just felt that I didn't want to raise this to a level of expectation that would leave people wanting more than this system delivers. I get it if your experience leads you to think the choice of carbons would've gained me 30db's in sound level , unfortunately the company that makes and sells this product apparently didn't think that was the case.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Great review.

Compete Anywhere??? Your not saying this system can compete in a sound competition are you??

Lets keep our expectations and statements realistic here. Its a plug and play system. The OP seems to be satisfied with it for the most part. Can you piece together a louder system cheaper? Absolutely. Are these plug and play set ups going to win any competitors, Hell no. Unless they are the only ones there.
Lets keep it realistic

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Compete Anywhere??? Your not saying this system can compete in a sound competition are you??

Lets keep our expectations and statements realistic here. Its a plug and play system. The OP seems to be satisfied with it for the most part. Can you piece together a louder system cheaper? Absolutely. Are these plug and play set ups going to win any competitors, Hell no. Unless they are the only ones there.
Lets keep it realistic[/QUOTE

Gotta remember, just like you were explaining earlier, one persons idea of sound competition is not the same as another’s. For 20 years I lived next to a professional Audio installer and his idea of a decent system in a car cost 25K and most people wouldn’t believe what a system like that sounds like. I don’t think dude was talking about your idea of pro audio systems.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Lets keep it realistic[/QUOTE

Gotta remember, just like you were explaining earlier, one persons idea of sound competition is not the same as another’s. For 20 years I lived next to a professional Audio installer and his idea of a decent system in a car cost 25K and most people wouldn’t believe what a system like that sounds like. I don’t think dude was talking about your idea of pro audio systems.
Im not sure what he was talking about. He said compete. Any ideas what he meant by this?

You are correct MW, there is some crazy audio stuff out there

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Im not sure what he was talking about. He said compete. Any ideas what he meant by this?
No idea. I would guess that “compete anywhere” was just an exaggeration as nobody is going to win a competition with 6.5’s and a set of 5x7’s. Not if any of the crazy guys show up with there 10k systems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What I’m saying is in my opinion these speakers have a good enough sound quality to compete with these guys stuffing speakers in any space they can just to make it loud. If you haven’t heard the setup then you don’t know what I’m saying!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts