Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Are you, or have you, run any fuel additives at all??
I saw a similar picture the other day, I think it was from a Stabil product.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I appreciate it I've never seen anything like it before. I'll be watching what I put in the tank from now on. With all the problems I've had with this thing it kinda freaked me out

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I had to use ethanol fuel so I put some booster to it thinking it would help

Help what??

I can almost guarantee if I put ethanol fuel in your bike without you knowing, you wouldn't be able to tell it was there.

Contrary to internet lore, ethanol is not the devil. It will not make your tires square or make your motorcyle turn only to the right.
You will lose maybe 10% of your fuel mileage if you're paying attention, but very little else will show up, unless it was gonna happen anyway.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Startron is probably not really needed until you store it, particularly in a carbed piece of equipment.
Leaded fuel will bugger the O2 sensors eventually.
Scott

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Just use pump gas with or without ethanol, fuel additives don't help much if any and the only thing a additive may do is screw up your O2 sensors.
On long trips I do carry a bottle of octane boost but that is only for those times where I can only find 87 or 89 octane fuel.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Help what??

I can almost guarantee if I put ethanol fuel in your bike without you knowing, you wouldn't be able to tell it was there.

Contrary to internet lore, ethanol is not the devil. It will not make your tires square or make your motorcyle turn only to the right.
You will lose maybe 10% of your fuel mileage if you're paying attention, but very little else will show up, unless it was gonna happen anyway.
I believe ethanol attracts water! Seems to me that in high humidity environments it could accelerate damage to engines and engine components...

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I believe ethanol attracts water! Seems to me that in high humidity environments it could accelerate damage to engines and engine components...
It is actually just the opposite. Ethanol is alcohol and alcohol removes water, all dry gas and fuel system water removal additives are alcohol based. The water gets in the fuel system from the heating and cooling of the fuel which creates condensation.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Actually, ethanol ABSORBS water, which means if there's any in your fuel system it picks it up and carries it through, actually helping you to avoid damage.
Look at any gas line antifreeze product, in most cases their primary ingredient it ethanol or methanol.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All I ask was if anyone knew what caused it. I never said my tires went square or it made my bike turn. The other day I had to fill up where all they had was 87 octane and my bike was pinging bad so I put the booster in it. I always run 91 but they didn't have it. I appreciate finding out what caused it someone on this forum always seems to have either been there or done that and it sure makes it nice when you have a question thx

·
Registered
967 Posts
Use Lucas ethanol remover and fuel treatment in the tank every time bike sets for a week or longer due to work traveling requirements, never seen spark plug looking like that.
Guess will stay away from STP...never used before any way. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
All I ask was if anyone knew what caused it. I never said my tires went square or it made my bike turn. The other day I had to fill up where all they had was 87 octane and my bike was pinging bad so I put the booster in it. I always run 91 but they didn't have it. I appreciate finding out what caused it someone on this forum always seems to have either been there or done that and it sure makes it nice when you have a question thx

We do a bit of traveling, and I typically stay away from 4 lane highways and big towns as much as possible, which means it's not unusual to run across stations that don't have premium fuel.
This is one of the reasons I have my Power Vision tuner permanently mounted on my bike. I have tunes made up for 87, 89, and 91 octane fuels that I can upload to the ECM in a matter of 30 seconds while I'm sitting at the pump. Often when it is really hot I will run an 87octane tune while running 91octane fuel, just for a bit of safety margin. If I have to I can also richen the mixture to give myself a larger margin.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
never seen spark plug looking like that.
Guess will stay away from STP...never used before any way.
A Hillside eluded to, most octane boosting additives have lead as their primary ingredient. Lead will indeed turn plugs that color. Plugs used to look like that all the time back when we had leaded fuels at the pump. "104+" used to be a popular octane booster, it would turn plugs that color in a heartbeat, doesn't hurt anything.

Just like oil additives, the effectiveness of most fuel additives is minimal at best.
The primary thing they are good for is transferring money from your pocket to someone else's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts