Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the very over priced Screamn' Eagle spark plug on their bikes, I'll soon be changing my plugs and I usually just go to the auto parts store and match them up.
Any other recommendations would be a great help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
In most cases the stock plugs are all you need. If you have performance mods you can buy plugs in various heat ranges to suite your needs. For example, If you are experiencing spark knock when you engine gets hot and you are using a hotter plug, you could try a colder running plug. The SE plugs are very good but may not give you any added benefit for the money.

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
Unless you've done motor work to the bike the stock plugs are all you should need.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I used the SE plugs (and plug wires) before but it doesn't make any difference in how the bike performs. Stick with the stock plugs and you will be fine. Probably nothing wrong with the plugs that are in your bike now, people change the plugs too often in a bike IMO, if the bike runs good and the plug doesn't have carbon build up and it's burning clean the just use it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I used the SE plugs (and plug wires) before but it doesn't make any difference in how the bike performs. Stick with the stock plugs and you will be fine. Probably nothing wrong with the plugs that are in your bike now, people change the plugs too often in a bike IMO, if the bike runs good and the plug doesn't have carbon build up and it's burning clean the just use it.
Exactly right Ironmark. The main reason I check the plugs every oil change is to keep an I on what my engine is doing in the combustion chamber. I always keep a couple of spare sets of Champion in my toolbox. If I see some build up from some poor gas or just some wear, I check gap when I put them back in. Most times with a great tune, the plugs will look perfect. For those that don't have a dyno tune and use a self tuner, checking your plugs from time to time can show you a rich or lean running bike and save you some headaches down the road.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the Iridiums because of longevity much like when platinum plugs came out. EPA is to bikes as it is to cages. How many people put a tuner on there brand new car. If you run the old style plugs i might replace them every 2 years if they show adequate wear. With new technology plugs designed to last over 100k I'm not to concerned with them. If the internet never existed people would just ride there bikes instead of looking to others to tell them there bike isn't performing like the aftermarket says it should. My stocker 15 RGS rocks. My bike is dirty. I bought it to ride and not look at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts