Discussion Starter #1
Riders
Is anyone running a different spark plug than the stock. Just curious :nerd:

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Riders
I'm running the Pulstar plugs. I think it starts better and idles better when cold.

Reactions: dbell66253

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I use NGK with no issues at all.

Reactions: willbo22

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I buy my spark plugs at O'Reilly. I get Autolite as do most of the engine builders around me. Less than $2 and a great plug. Also get my Wix oil filter there.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I just run HD OEM plugs they don't cost that much and they work fine. People change the plugs on the bikes too often most of the time, if the plugs are burning right you can get 75,000 to 100,000 miles on them.
How often do you change the plugs on your automobile???

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I just run HD OEM plugs they don't cost that much and they work fine. People change the plugs on the bikes too often most of the time, if the plugs are burning right you can get 75,000 to 100,000 miles on them.
How often do you change the plugs on your automobile???
The plugs on modern automobiles aren't the same as they used to be, nor the same as the ones on you motorcycle. I doubt very seriously if the plugs on your motorcycle will still be efficient at 75k miles.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The stock plugs are 100% prefect for the job. This is just more of that if it is HD and stock it must be bad. Fueled by more after market BS. None of the fancy plug do a darn thing for you.
The so called gold this and that plugs last longer but stockplugs go 15 K and more anyway.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Riders
We also run the NGKs in both of our in-house Glides. Ran these for years in our race cars as well and have always considered them one of the best.

Lindsey :0)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I buy my spark plugs at O'Reilly. I get Autolite as do most of the engine builders around me. Less than $2 and a great plug. Also get my Wix oil filter there.
What # Wix filter fits the RG? I have a 2015.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
What # Wix filter fits the RG? I have a 2015.
Just so you know, I use the Champion plug too. It is RA8-HC
The wix filter that is a match for the Harley filter is 57348, same micron filter capability. Wix is considered one of the best filter manufacturers in the business. That being said, I use the Wix 51548, the difference being it is a 20 micron filter instead of 5 micron. I don't know why but I read something some years ago about the 5 micron stopping up and the oil just bypassing the filter all together. It is just a personal choice and most don't suggest it. The older engines used to use this type filter. O'reilly carries both of these and I believe they are about $6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the E3 plugs in both my 13 Glide and my 08 Crossbones and get them at OReily. I think they work great and the bikes actually seem to run better.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The plugs on modern automobiles aren't the same as they used to be, nor the same as the ones on you motorcycle. I doubt very seriously if the plugs on your motorcycle will still be efficient at 75k miles.
As long as there is no mechanical issues with the engine in the bike and the tune is right then the plugs will be efficient and last a long time. I haven't changed plugs in a couple of years but I do check the condition of the plugs once in awhile and the plugs in my bike look almost like new.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Iridiums and the 10MM wires...

·
Registered
138 Posts
HD's 'anti knock' (especially on the CAN models) has the technology to pull timing based on ion readings from the spark.

It only makes sense a visually 'well' spark plug could not be as good as it looks. Compound increased CCP, compression, massive amounts of spent fuel from big cam, big valve motors and the uncalculated heat produced and IMO timely or more frequent changing out plugs on our later, bigger, badder bagger motors just makes sense.

Hence I concur with dbell.

NGK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts