Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a few questions? I have a 15 RGS with Hertz ECX 6.5s. With the kenwood KAC-M1804 amp w/ the magic box level shift. I'm wanting more power and have been looking at the Cerwin Vega B2 amp. Looks to have quite a bit more juice. Is this amp any good? Is the PBR 300 better? Will I need to get a line out converter? Can i still use the magic box? Can the speakers handle the amp? I'm just wanting my audio to be louder then it is now. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm no guru, but your Kenwood amp is way underpowered. The CV B2 has been replaced by the B52, both the B52 and the PBR 300x2 are better amps than what you have now. The B52 has more power at 4 ohm than the 300x2 does, so if I had my choice I'd go that route. The Biketronics line leveler performs significantly better than the magic box. The speakers can handle the amp. If your bike has been flashed, going with the BT line leveler and flashing back to stock (0 amps and 2 or 4 speakers) will help a lot with sound quality.

PS this all assumes you're only running 2 speakers and won't be adding more later on. If you have 4 now or will in the future the amp choices change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so the b52 is better then tell b2? I found them on amazon. So using the biketronics line output is better then the magic box? Or is it different all together? Are there better options in same price range for amps? What about speakers? Are the Hertz ecx decent? Yes I'm only running 2 speakers. Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just installed the Biketronics BT2180.14 amp kit today. BT sells the kit with everything you need including the BT355 LOC and amp mounting plate. They give you a complete plug and play setup that is easy to install. Puts out 180 per channel RMS. I am pushing ARC Moto 602 speakers with this amp and it is a great combo. I am sure this amp would really wake up your Hertz speakers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Personally, I don't think your amp is underpowered. It should be plenty loud if it's set up correctly and the gain controls as well as the total impedance are all correct for the amp. How many ohms are your speakers? Folks don't realize how incredibly loud 50W per channel is/should be. Most guitar amps are between 40-50W, and can make your ears bleed. But, everything has to be matched correctly.

I'm ordering this amp this week, and some Polk marine speakers.

Check out the amp dyno runs this little amp is capable of... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99tiyWuuAGM

BLESSINGS!
Sam

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well i run a cv b2 amp and love it. It screams my infinity kappa speakers. I used a pac 50 inline converter and it works perfect. I've matched all settings and with head unit my system screams at 50% up running at 75 i can hear everything perfectly.

The cerwin amp would do great on your speakers.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
45w/ch isn't a whole lot more than the stock system. But keep in mind that more watts doesn't automatically equate to better/louder sound. If you're a novice, you can sink a LOT of dough into a stereo system that sounds like crap! My advice is always to go big early. Spend the money on a Soundz custom or Biketronics kit and be done with it! Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
45w/ch isn't a whole lot more than the stock system. But keep in mind that more watts doesn't automatically equate to better/louder sound. If you're a novice, you can sink a LOT of dough into a stereo system that sounds like crap! My advice is always to go big early. Spend the money on a Soundz custom or Biketronics kit and be done with it! Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
"Sound" advice right there. :wink:

·
Registered
590 Posts
If I were you try the kac-m3004 600 watts and it can be bridged that will light up those hertz perfectly.the trick with these stereos is to clean up the signal,the best way so far is bictronic line leveler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. The kenwood amp I have doesn't have any gain controls so that's out of the question.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I were you try the kac-m3004 600 watts and it can be bridged that will light up those hertz perfectly.the trick with these stereos is to clean up the signal,the best way so far is bictronic line leveler.
Do you think it's better then the CV B2?? Use the BT line leveler with it as well.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The BT355 line levelers help to clean up the crappy output from the stock head unit. They are more than just a line out converter which is why they are so much more expensive.

IMO, do yourself the favor and get the 355's, you wont be sorry.

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I'm gonna get the bt355 and I'm thinking about the KAC M-3004 or the CV B2 amp. Or I may just wait and get the BT amp. Anyone ever use the cycle sounds amps?

·
Registered
684 Posts
IIRC the B52 is just an updated B2. Both put out a ton of power and are smaller than a cigar box. (almost half the size of one. I was shocked when I got mine as to how small it was when considering the amount of CLEAN power they put out.)

In case you havent read the threads which go over this, on the Rushmore's you want to run the AVC OFF and set the gains with the bike running. From what I have gathered there are different .bin files that the bike uses depending on whether the bike is running or not and it makes a difference. Also you dont want to go over 3/4 on the volume due to the fact that it appears that the voltage goes up considerably after 3/4 volume and you have a much greater chance for distortion. (I am going solely off of information gleaned, not because I'm a guru, but thought that it would be helpful to you anyway.)

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK thank you for the info. I have been looking at the soundstream SS PN 4.1000D. I'm wondering if that might be a better option?

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you care about FM reception keep in mind that certain amps will kill it. I don't recall which ones off hand, but there's several threads on the other forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey dozer. If I were to get this amp what's the proper way to bridge it? Positive from R side and Negative from L side? I'm sorry but have never done it before. I appreciate it. I do have a fluke multimeter if needed to set everything. Thank you!

·
Registered
684 Posts
In the manual it should show the correct wiring for bridge mode.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts