Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RF TM400X4AD setup for Hertz MPX 165.3 Pro?

So I have just blown my second set of Focal PC165 speakers in my fairing and I swapping out to a set of Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO. I am running these off a Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD amp. I had purchased this amp with the intention of doing speakers in the bags but not sure when that wil happen. So in the meantime I will just run the fronts off this amp. Wondering if I should run this new setup bridged? I have read that these Hertz speakers like power. Also, should I run in hi-pass of full-pass mode?

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So I have just blown my second set of Focal PC165 speakers in my fairing and I swapping out to a set of Hertz MPX 165.3 PRO. I am running these off a Rockford Fosgate TM400X4AD amp. I had purchased this amp with the intention of doing speakers in the bags but not sure when that wil happen. So in the meantime I will just run the fronts off this amp. Wondering if I should run this new setup bridged? I have read that these Hertz speakers like power. Also, should I run in hi-pass of full-pass mode?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Always run with HPF on... Hertz need alot of power. They are bright on top as well. There are better choices of 6.5s like Iron 65s that I install in EVERYTHING from batwings and sharks alike... and even CVO'S. THEY HIT HARD... with a very good midbass.

Are you running line levers or a flash on the head unit? Flash is best..fyi... and ALWAYS turn your SPEED VOLUME (AVC) OFF....you will blow speakers if not. The AVC controls output of signal and boosts power that the aftermarket systems dont like...

I run 4 Carbon 65s in faring and lowers and Iron 69.2s in my lids off a DSP and all powered by SS4.100amp. Around 800 watts on this configuration. I use a flash and AVC OFF. My DSP controls output and dual xovers and separate 31 band eqs for front and rear for fine tuning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always run with HPF on... Hertz need alot of power. They are bright on top as well. There are better choices of 6.5s like Iron 65s that I install in EVERYTHING from batwings and sharks alike... and even CVO'S. THEY HIT HARD... with a very good midbass.

Are you running line levers or a flash on the head unit? Flash is best..fyi... and ALWAYS turn your SPEED VOLUME (AVC) OFF....you will blow speakers if not. The AVC controls output of signal and boosts power that the aftermarket systems dont like...

I run 4 Carbon 65s in faring and lowers and Iron 69.2s in my lids off a DSP and all powered by SS4.100amp. Around 800 watts on this configuration. I use a flash and AVC OFF. My DSP controls output and dual xovers and separate 31 band eqs for front and rear for fine tuning.

I am running line levelers from Biketronics, planning on a new deck soon, bass and treble set to mid point on deck, amp adjusted per RF clipping lights for both input and output, speed adjust is off. The reason I stuck with these speakers is I purchased from Crutchfield and these seemed to be the best option for a warranty replacement.

So for the power, should I run the amp bridged to up the power to these Hertz speakers or let it be?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I am running line levelers from Biketronics, planning on a new deck soon, bass and treble set to mid point on deck, amp adjusted per RF clipping lights for both input and output, speed adjust is off. The reason I stuck with these speakers is I purchased from Crutchfield and these seemed to be the best option for a warranty replacement.

So for the power, should I run the amp bridged to up the power to these Hertz speakers or let it be?

Thanks
You can try it... but you are raising the THD of the signal. It may not be noticeable by ear. Understand... whatever the output increases to, it's still split to the speakers. So.. which ever way gives you more power (bridged ÷2) or straight ( per channel)...run them with more power. Gain adjustment may be required. HPF and freq should be set 60-120hz range...adjust a little higher than low spec of speaker... Tuning by ear can be time consuming

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can try it... but you are raising the THD of the signal. It may not be noticeable by ear. Understand... whatever the output increases to, it's still split to the speakers. So.. which ever way gives you more power (bridged ÷2) or straight ( per channel)...run them with more power. Gain adjustment may be required. HPF and freq should be set 60-120hz range...adjust a little higher than low spec of speaker... Tuning by ear can be time consuming

Gotcha, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Okay, so I looked up the specs on the amp. It is rated at 100x4 rms or 200 x 2 rms bridged. Sounds like I need to run it bridged until I upgrade to more speakers. Agreed?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Okay, so I looked up the specs on the amp. It is rated at 100x4 rms or 200 x 2 rms bridged. Sounds like I need to run it bridged until I upgrade to more speakers. Agreed?
Agreed

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There are better choices of 6.5s like Iron 65s that I install in EVERYTHING from batwings and sharks alike... and even CVO'S. THEY HIT HARD... with a very good midbass.
You must be getting some really good discounts on the Soundz Iron 65 coax speakers. I like them, but last time I priced those they were almost $600 per pair...................

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You must be getting some really good discounts on the Soundz Iron 65 coax speakers. I like them, but last time I priced those they were almost $600 per pair...................
I'm an authorized dealer for Soundz...but having heard both.. I'll stand by my statement... even if I didnt sell them. I install Iron 65s in CVO's and down all the time... I push them over the Carbon 65s which I run four of...( I have component Iron 69.2s in my lids that round out the carbons nicely) because they have a better dynamic range. At $600/pair, they are not cheap.. agreed.. but I havent come across a better sounding 6.5" speaker when tuned properly. Once they installed... they are not ever replaced from someone looking for something better... not that I have heard. Once and done.

I am not putting down any other speaker out there... there are alot of great speakers on the market. Some are just better performers than others.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I am not putting down any other speaker out there... there are alot of great speakers on the market. Some are just better performers than others.
I wanted to pick your brain some more. So if the Iron and Carbon 65 speakers are king of the hill, in your experience what's the next level down? DB Drive, Hertz, Arc Audio etc.?

I've ran Kappas (very first bike audio install back in 2015 on my RG), then switched to Hertz MPX 165.3 on my 2018 RGS and now I'm running the DB Drive WDX6MOTO-G2.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I wanted to pick your brain some more. So if the Iron and Carbon 65 speakers are king of the hill, in your experience what's the next level down? DB Drive, Hertz, Arc Audio etc.?

I've ran Kappas (very first bike audio install back in 2015 on my RG), then switched to Hertz MPX 165.3 on my 2018 RGS and now I'm running the DB Drive WDX6MOTO-G2.
. Street 65s... then SR65s... lol! ( my lineup)

Honestly... I am partial to what I sell... I dont talk down on any other products.. that is bad business practice. I have heard some really good systems from plenty of other manufacturers that others have put together, but I'm not in the business of finding alternatives from what I know already works well for all my customers.

So.. I cant really give you an honest list... so to speak.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Wev, you went to that M&G correct? If so, Im sure you heard some killer setups. Some of those guys have some serious setups. What did you hear that you liked? Interested in what you thought sounded good. Looking at changing out my rear stage soon. I know the 10in in the bags would really change my setup but hate to lose the bag space. 8in lids are a option that I have looked at.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wev, you went to that M&G correct? If so, Im sure you heard some killer setups. Some of those guys have some serious setups. What did you hear that you liked? Interested in what you thought sounded good. Looking at changing out my rear stage soon. I know the 10in in the bags would really change my setup but hate to lose the bag space. 8in lids are a option that I have looked at.
Yes, I did hook up with the audio gang from HDForums. Ran with them for 2 days. It was hard for me to pick the single "best" sounding set up out of the group. Everyone there had serious hardware and serious $$$ tied up in their systems. Here's where I landed at the end of those 2 days. Every person I met during those two days seemed like really cool people. There were even a few that I plan on keeping in touch with moving forward. Sled audio for those guys is somewhere between a hobby and a serious obsession.

It was a good experience for me hearing what was possible on Ultras and Street Glides, but there weren't any Road Glides for comparison purposes. I realized quickly that I'm never going to go to the extent that those guys do as far as bike audio goes. I'm not going to run multiple AMPs, nor give up bag space or trunk space for AMPs or speakers. I don't want gear that I'm afraid to get wet, nor do I want to have to trailer my bike, or pull a trailer with my bike because I've traded all of my storage space for audio gear.

Woofers in the bags sound killer when added to a system, but I was only able to hear parking lot demonstrations of those setups and don't have any idea what difference they make on the slab. I think everyone there had a DSP (except for me of course), so there was a lot of tuning going on when the group wasn't riding. I learned that no matter how much $$$ you have invested, a poor tune can render it all worthless.

At the end of the day it's kind of "to each their own". There were a lot of different combinations and brands represented as far as AMPs and speakers go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm an authorized dealer for Soundz...but having heard both.. I'll stand by my statement... even if I didnt sell them. I install Iron 65s in CVO's and down all the time... I push them over the Carbon 65s which I run four of...( I have component Iron 69.2s in my lids that round out the carbons nicely) because they have a better dynamic range. At $600/pair, they are not cheap.. agreed.. but I havent come across a better sounding 6.5" speaker when tuned properly. Once they installed... they are not ever replaced from someone looking for something better... not that I have heard. Once and done.

Would you be ok or recommend running Iron 65s with Arc Audio Moto 600 amp?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Would you be ok or recommend running Iron 65s with Arc Audio Moto 600 amp?
You can... just adjust the gains accordingly. The 600.4 has a little less rms power than the SS4.100 amp... and we use this amp all day long on Irons

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yes, I did hook up with the audio gang from HDForums. Ran with them for 2 days. It was hard for me to pick the single "best" sounding set up out of the group. Everyone there had serious hardware and serious $$$ tied up in their systems. Here's where I landed at the end of those 2 days. Every person I met during those two days seemed like really cool people. There were even a few that I plan on keeping in touch with moving forward. Sled audio for those guys is somewhere between a hobby and a serious obsession.

It was a good experience for me hearing what was possible on Ultras and Street Glides, but there weren't any Road Glides for comparison purposes. I realized quickly that I'm never going to go to the extent that those guys do as far as bike audio goes. I'm not going to run multiple AMPs, nor give up bag space or trunk space for AMPs or speakers. I don't want gear that I'm afraid to get wet, nor do I want to have to trailer my bike, or pull a trailer with my bike because I've traded all of my storage space for audio gear.

Woofers in the bags sound killer when added to a system, but I was only able to hear parking lot demonstrations of those setups and don't have any idea what difference they make on the slab. I think everyone there had a DSP (except for me of course), so there was a lot of tuning going on when the group wasn't riding. I learned that no matter how much $$$ you have invested, a poor tune can render it all worthless.

At the end of the day it's kind of "to each their own". There were a lot of different combinations and brands represented as far as AMPs and speakers go.
Totally agree about the tuning. Sort of like tuning a motor. Put all that money in it with a crap tune and you get crap out. Tuning audio, or motors, is a make or break.

And your right, some of those guys are obsessed with that stuff. Totally awesome.
Have you heard Sly's bike in the video thread? WOW!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts