Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Either one can cause issues with enough vibration. Spade can work loose, Solder onto the speaker tab is strong there but where the solder ends on the wire can be a weak point. I'd use spades and add just enough of a crimp to them so make it more difficult to work loose. Also, spades are easier to put back on if they come off compared to a wire breaking that was soldered on.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
First you have to have a good crimper. I use shrink tube on all my connections, whether they are exposed or not.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
First you have to have a good crimper. I use shrink tube on all my connections, whether they are exposed or not.
I like the shrink tube idea. I will start using that on all my connections.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Spade connectors. Especially that close to the speaker. If you slip or if the soldier drips you could burn your speaker, and spades are easier to repair in that location.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Buy the good connectors. The ones the have the heat shrink built onto them. They're great for using them in places where the elements can get to them but they also offer a more secure connection with the heat shrink holding the wire

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I use weatherpack connectors. Works great for me. Just buy the correct crimper and it makes for a clean and affordable install. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
+1 for spade connectors. I think I have 3 sets of crimpers now. 1 crappy set for crimping regular terminals, 1 ratcheting set for regular terminals, and 1 set to crimp deutsch pins. I just installed an aux fuse panel on my ride and bought a 15.00 Harbor Freight heat gun to use for the heat shrink - makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
+2 on weatherpack connectors. Work great. Just buy the crimper off amazon for $30. And eBay has the connectors cheap. I just buy them as needed. I use them for everything now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I use spades on the speaker connections though. Id recommend buying the channel lock brand crimpers. Never had one come off using it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts