Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock speakers on a 17 RGS. Yesterday the front left stopped working correctly. I'm thinking about using this as an excuse to upgrade to Stage I speakers. But first I want to make sure that it is just the speaker.

The left speaker is still sort of working. It is operating at about 10% of the correct volume, with no bass. Does this sound like a speaker issue? Amp?

Also any reviews of HD Stage I fairing speakers?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Try swapping the left and right speakers. If the problem follows to the right them you know it's the speaker. I honestly would stay away from Boom audio, of course this is just my opinion. Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try swapping the left and right speakers. If the problem follows to the right them you know it's the speaker. I honestly would stay away from Boom audio, of course this is just my opinion. Good luck!
I 100% agree with BH#103. Stay away from HD Boom Audio. I did a lot of reviewing threads on here and still asked a lot of questions when I was planning on upgrading. I ended up getting a Biketronics amp and speakers. To make a long story short, it sounds as good, or better, than HD Boom Stage II, and costs far less. As a bonus, they are a USA company, and came with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Going to the garage now to swap speakers. With my mechanical abilities, it might be three days before I report back with the results. LOL

I heard about swapping wives but this is the first time I learned about swapping speakers.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I have stock speakers on a 17 RGS. Yesterday the front left stopped working correctly. I'm thinking about using this as an excuse to upgrade to Stage I speakers. But first I want to make sure that it is just the speaker.

The left speaker is still sort of working. It is operating at about 10% of the correct volume, with no bass. Does this sound like a speaker issue? Amp?

Thanks
geo, all the info already stated is very good.
You can do much better then Boom for a good price.
If You want further assistance don't hesitate to ask.
Best of Luck Bro!
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just remember, it's not just you working on your bike. We are all working on it with you, just not while being beside you. Holler if you need any guidance
Speakers swapped (that was easy). It is the speaker. Thanks for your help. You can always count on the guys on this site when you need a hand!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Just remember, it's not just you working on your bike. We are all working on it with you, just not while being beside you. Holler if you need any guidance
Speakers swapped (that was easy). It is the speaker. Thanks for your help. You can always count on the guys on this site when you need a hand!
Awesome man, proud of ya for tackling that so easily! Where should I send the bill? Now in all honesty, I would invest in a better system!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Time to upgrade. Only a matter of time before the other one shits the bed.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I found a set of used HD Stage I speakers on E-bay for $100. I'll give them a shot.
How do you give a thumbs down on
here ?:frown:
I hope they work for you.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
There's a saying I always use.... cheap man pays twice. Save the hundred bucks on the Harley crap and put it towards a better system. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money but most of us have all been through this rodeo. My opinion is call Biketronics and get one of their 2180 systems. You will be happier and not out as much money as you might think especially if you are willing to throw down a $100 on a set of ? eBay speakers. Ask them if they can cut you a better deal, doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I know, taking a gamble here. The guy only sells used HD parts and has 100% feedback. I want a quick fix for now until I figure out how much I want to invest in a sound.
Quick and fix usually don't go together. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Boom stage 1 are not the worst speakers ever. I am actually running 4 of them with a NVX VADM4 on my wife’s RGS and they are much better than I expected them to be. But... for $100 there are much better out there. I picked up a set with the Metal Road Glide grills (I used them on my RGU) for $50.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WTF! I go out for a ride before and both speaker are functioning perfectly. Can I assume I have a short or something?

I would have thought it was old guy hearing and I incorrectly thought the speaker was out. But I had my daughter, who's an Army Medic with perfect hearing check it also. She said right away, "Your left speaker is out."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts