Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have it narrowed down to 3 different sets of speakers. Help me choose. BT2180 amp, speakers will go in stock locations.(failed to add the poll :frown:)
1) Hertz ECX 165.5
2) Hertz HCX 165.3
3) Hertz MPX 165.3

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Go with the Hertz! I was running the MPX 165.3 in the fairing on mine, but am currently relocating them to the lowers and putting the Biketronics I had in my lowers back in the fairing where I originally had them when I installed the 2180 amp. Only thing I can tell you about the MPX other than I am extremely happy with them is that I could not fit them without the Biketronics speaker adapter and in that situation one of the grill tabs on each side was resting against the speaker rubber. You might be able to get them to fit without the adapters and with a little massaging of the pod.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go with the Hertz! I was running the MPX 165.3 in the fairing on mine, but am currently relocating them to the lowers and putting the Biketronics I had in my lowers back in the fairing where I originally had them when I installed the 2180 amp. Only thing I can tell you about the MPX other than I am extremely happy with them is that I could not fit them without the Biketronics speaker adapter and in that situation one of the grill tabs on each side was resting against the speaker rubber. You might be able to get them to fit without the adapters and with a little massaging of the pod.
I'm surprised they didn't fit. I have the Kappa's in there now and I believe they are taller. I will say that the grills are a little loose. So why are you swapping the biketronics back to the fairing?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hat...

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
760 Posts
Of the three hertz you mentioned - MPX 165.3 The HCX and ECX aren't bad speakers, but the MPX are simply better and worth the extra coin. If you're new to hertz you need to know that they are one of the most bootlegged speakers on the market. Make sure you are buying from a reputable source.

Did I see in another thread that you may be paralleling the 2180 to 4 speakers? If so, keep in mind that means you will only be getting about 120W to each speaker. Hertz speakers like power and they would be fine with 180W going to them, but 120W is leaving a lot on the table and you may not be happy.

Not to muddy the waters, but I'll also throw out the option of the WDX6MOTO. A lot of guys on the other forum are going to them and seem very happy with them. I have not used or heard them so can't say one way or the other. Some of the guys over there run through speakers like most of us go through toilet paper, so the fact that they've been around for a few months and guys are still recommending them is a good sign.

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't fit. I have the Kappa's in there now and I believe they are taller. I will say that the grills are a little loose. So why are you swapping the biketronics back to the fairing?
The Hertz were hitting the pods when I was trying to install them so I put the Biketronics adapters back in and called it a day. This is going back awhile ago so my recollection of specific details could be off, but I remember the speaker would not sit flush. When I took my outer fairing off in December I seen that the speaker grill tab was on the rubber of the Hertz speaker so that was when I made the executive decision to put the Biketronics 6.5 speakers back in the fairing and be done with it. Both speakers sound really good and with the fact that four speakers are pretty much right there in front of me I am not so sure I have the listening skills to pick apart which one actually sounds better. One of the possible differences between the MPX 165.3's and the Infinity's you installed might not be so much in the height but in the diameter at a certain height and that might have been my roadblock with the pods. I am all for manipulating and moving things on my bike to make things work or fit, but sometimes you have to just roll with it and stop messing with it. I opted to work with what I was dealt and not mess with the pods although I am sure it would not have required too much massaging. Let us know how it works out and if you run into any issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Im running Hertz MLK 1650.3 Legends in fairing. Loud decent bass, when stop and standing still, awesome deep chest pounding bass.. Also used a the reader app in got as low as 35hz on them. Their specs are 40hz-28khz. But only got to 25 kilohertz since the sound sound generator app didn't go any higher. I have a biketronics BT4180 I have the stock Harley 6.5 premium radio I've had the radio volume 16 out of 17 loud as hell like I said it to stop in sitting still you can feel the bass pound your chest depending on the song.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Im running Hertz MLK 1650.3 Legends in fairing. Loud decent bass, when stop and standing still, awesome deep chest pounding bass.. Also used a the reader app in got as low as 35hz on them. Their specs are 40hz-28khz. But only got to 25 kilohertz since the sound sound generator app didn't go any higher. I have a biketronics BT4180 I have the stock Harley 6.5 premium radio I've had the radio volume 16 out of 17 loud as hell like I said it to stop in sitting still you can feel the bass pound your chest depending on the song.....
Thanks. I'm ordering that amp in a few weeks. Have the 6.5. No plans on changing it. I like it. You running lowers? Or bag speakers? I'm doing the lowers.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm just running fairing speakers but I do want to run speaker lids under the arm rest of the tour pack seat and the front lower fairing pods and want to get all that but right now I'm just running the Fairing and tell you what just alone I had the bike facing me and went walked in front of it over 600 ft and had it only on 12 and can still hear it clear like having a conversation. I have yet to hear them from the back side where they're facing at 600 some odd feet and the only reason I went that far was because the fence Corner cornered me in I couldn't go no further and I didn't want to walk outside the gate I'm too lazy to LOL. But I am getting ready to put either Styrofoam in it to a certain point in the pods in the Fairing and then some poly foam or acoustical foam and then on the outside of the pods I'm going to put some dampening with stuff on it and stuff and go from there I was told we all put poly foam in it and stuff and it will increase the base and push the energy towards you rather than letting it go backwards.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of the three hertz you mentioned - MPX 165.3 The HCX and ECX aren't bad speakers, but the MPX are simply better and worth the extra coin. If you're new to hertz you need to know that they are one of the most bootlegged speakers on the market. Make sure you are buying from a reputable source.

Did I see in another thread that you may be paralleling the 2180 to 4 speakers? If so, keep in mind that means you will only be getting about 120W to each speaker. Hertz speakers like power and they would be fine with 180W going to them, but 120W is leaving a lot on the table and you may not be happy.

Not to muddy the waters, but I'll also throw out the option of the WDX6MOTO. A lot of guys on the other forum are going to them and seem very happy with them. I have not used or heard them so can't say one way or the other. Some of the guys over there run through speakers like most of us go through toilet paper, so the fact that they've been around for a few months and guys are still recommending them is a good sign.
Well Roadie you muddied the waters, lol. I went and dug around on the other forum and looked at the specs for the WDX6MOTO. Haven't seen anything on our forums here about it so I made the purchase and will be the Guinea Pig for us, lol. The other forum recommended Spork Customs for a discounted price, they were only $20 less and free shipping so I made the purchase. I contacted them on Facebook and even though it's Sunday someone answered my questions. They said they would work ok with the BT2180 even though they weren't a fan of BT stuff. I did notice by their Facebook most of what they work on is Victory bikes so that may have something to do with it. They are shipping out tomorrow and the amp should be here mid week. I go in for back surgery Wednesday so it might be a week or so before I get everything in. I'm still waiting for my Dakota Gauges as well. I would rather take the bike apart once then repeatedly.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Looking forward to your review. Good luck with the surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Live2Ride

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Mat, did you have any issues with the fitment in yours? You guys have me rethinking my upper to lower fairing swap. Maybe I overlooked something on my install or had one too many sodas.
True confessions, I had the amp and speakers installed so I can't honestly answer. At install the oem grills were replaced with hog tunes.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There are so many choices for speakers. Best to listen to them and see what YOU like. When I do my front stage again, PA speakers. I haven't heard anything that beats them

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got the stage 2 speakers and amp in my 15 RGS. Been pondering replacing the two speakers in fairing since I'm starting to note some distortions at times after two years. Any recommendations for a solid pair of replacement speakers? I'm hoping to replace them with something that sounds a bit better and works with the stage 2 amp.

Figure until the amp dies I might as well continue to use it. I'm also wondering about baffling behind the speakers to aid in directing the sound. Anyone have any experience and advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts
HRRK-6712TW-XXR-Rocker-Speaker-Fairing

a little up there with the price but the best in my opinion I push 150w RMS per channel I can hear clear sound at 1**Mph its actually louder than my bleutooth headphones I was using before with a full face helmet. every other speakers I tried to run 150w Rms felll flat on their face this choice come after trying 4 different brand of speakers. buy it from amazon if you don't like it send it back.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Figure until the amp dies I might as well continue to use it. I'm also wondering about baffling behind the speakers to aid in directing the sound. Anyone have any experience and advice?
Dude, don't do it. That's what I did when my Boom 2 speakers started going bad. Wasted money. Now I am replacing both speakers and amp and trashing everything but the head unit. Now to figure out what to get.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
HRRK-6712TW-XXR-Rocker-Speaker-Fairing

a little up there with the price but the best in my opinion I push 150w RMS per channel I can hear clear sound at 1**Mph its actually louder than my bleutooth headphones I was using before with a full face helmet. every other speakers I tried to run 150w Rms felll flat on their face this choice come after trying 4 different brand of speakers. buy it from amazon if you don't like it send it back.
This is a joke right? First post, makes me wonder who this is

1 - 19 of 19 Posts