Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I know the answer and have gotten different answers from different shops that I have sent emails to. Looking at different speakers some have what looks like fairly large diameter driver/magnet and some are fairly small in diameter.

Can someone tell if it really makes a difference in how well a speaker will work depending on the diameter of the magnet on the back?

Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes it makes some difference, for example the size of the stock speaker magnet compared to the size of the magnet on a aftermarket speaker. But you can't hardly base your choice on the biggest magnet if that's what you're getting at. Which could lead to fitment issues. Also some really good speakers are designed to have a smaller magnet for smaller installations, but still sound amazing. There are a ton of choices out there for speakers, and a lot of opinions on forums too, take the time and read through them and get a decent idea of what you think you'll like and you'll be pretty happy. Especially since the stock stink enough that about anything is an improvement.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, I am looking for some speakers that will actually work well at highway speeds. There are different suppliers that have packages with amps and speakers that are plug and play. Each say their package is the best one, so I am looking for some outside info as why some of the speakers are different in the regard to the magnet.

Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well from my research and my opinion there are some pretty decent choices, but it depends on whether or not you want plug and play or if you're confident enough to wire in two amps and four speakers on your own. I got the Hogtunes set up with the 4 channel amp and the 4 speakers for my Ultra. I don't care for it, it's not what I wanted and I'm going to sell it as soon as I get it out of my bike. It didn't provide much clarity in the sound at high volumes, but you could hear it a lot better at highway speeds and my wife agrees. I know J&M does a lot of advertising on here, I've never heard them and they seem costly but they claim to be the best. And actually JMJOHN I'm sure could tell you why the magnet size is important. But anyways, there are a lot of options if you want to go with the plug and play type and I'd say a lot of it depends on what you want to spend. But if you're wanting volume at high speeds I'd definitely install an amp as well.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just installed the Hawg Wired six pack system. It's close to plug and play, easy enough I could do the install. For money spent it sounds great and can easily be heard at highway speeds. If interested give Frank at Dragos a call, had them on sale, may still be.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think I know the answer and have gotten different answers from different shops that I have sent emails to. Looking at different speakers some have what looks like fairly large diameter driver/magnet and some are fairly small in diameter.

Can someone tell if it really makes a difference in how well a speaker will work depending on the diameter of the magnet on the back?

Thanks
I notice that some have said yes.... This is true if it were 1989 but today many manufacturers use neodymium magnets which are very small but very powerful magnets... This allows the manufacturer to build a lightweight speaker using a very small magnet but it usually out performs many speakers with monstrous heavy magnets.... So be sure to check into the type of magnet and not just compare magnet size....

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, good information to have.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
I notice that some have said yes.... This is true if it were 1989 but today many manufacturers use neodymium magnets which are very small but very powerful magnets... This allows the manufacturer to build a lightweight speaker using a very small magnet but it usually out performs many speakers with monstrous heavy magnets.... So be sure to check into the type of magnet and not just compare magnet size....
I agree with you in theory, but from my experience, the large natural (ferrite) magnet speakers still hold an advantage. I've had the JM and Polk MMs with the neodymium magnets, and they don't compare with my Focal or Hertz, then again it could be because of the brand, but most higher end speakers still use the heavy magnet. BTW I don't know too many manufactuers that use a larger magnet than the Focal, and they fit just fine with adapters.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I agree with you in theory, but from my experience, the large natural (ferrite) magnet speakers still hold an advantage. I've had the JM and Polk MMs with the neodymium magnets, and they don't compare with my Focal or Hertz, then again it could be because of the brand, but most higher end speakers still use the heavy magnet. BTW I don't know too many manufactuers that use a larger magnet than the Focal, and they fit just fine with adapters.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one magnet is better than the other, just saying that many are starting to use the Neodymium magnets and carbon fiber baskets to save weight and make for a shallow mount... Even Focal uses them for their shallow mount speakers..Focal 165VRS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts