Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says I'm looking for suggestions for one pair of speakers that would work well with what I currently have. I have the HawgWired sixpack now, and while it is a tremendous improvement over stock I still can't hear it that well over 60-65mph or so. It came with the RS400 amp (100 watts rms) so I was wondering if there is a pair of speakers that would be enough of an improvement over the HawgWired speakers to warrant the expense. I was thinking of getting lowers and adding speakers there as well but I'm slowly turning this thing into a bit of a hotrod and probably won't ever get the lowers. Just wondering if it's worth the added expense if I'm going to stay with only one pair of speakers. Also, still running stock head unit, might be willing to upgrade that too.

·
Super Moderator
12,429 Posts
Depends on how much you have budgeted, the Hertz HSK 165 XL will allow you to hear them at highway speeds, are 4ohm so you can add a second pair later if you do get lowers. They aren't cheap, but they are good.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
It's all about the jing .

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can get biketronics 6.5 titan II for 179.00 witch are hybrid audios imagine line check the reviews, there is not a better sounding speaker even close to that money including focal,hertz,and JL !

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the Klock Werks Kicker Kit, granted I work for Klock Werks, but I had these items prior to employment, and clarity at 75mph+ is easily achievable. I contribute that to both the performance of the plug and play upgrade kit, and the help of my flare shield. I didn't get a thunderous sound system that sets car alarms off my any means but I can hear and enjoy every word that is sung while doing 80!

for sale in MITCHELL, SD | KLOCK WERKS KUSTOM CYCLES 605-996-3700

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. Was already considering the Hertz or Focals, just didn't know if it would work well enough with just one pair to justify the expense. Sounds like it is. Will the stock head unit be good enough or would there be a noticeable difference by going aftermarket? Also, has anyone trimmed out the opening for the speakers in the inner fairing to match the size of the speakers?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm relating to this post also... I only need two speakers... I want to keep the stock head unit without an amp and I know 5.25, 6.5, and 7.25 inch speakers will fit in the faring... What ohm speakers do I (we) need - 2, 4, or 8 ?

Any of the above?

I never could figure this out.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm relating to this post also... I only need two speakers... I want to keep the stock head unit without an amp and I know 5.25, 6.5, and 7.25 inch speakers will fit in the faring... What ohm speakers do I (we) need - 2, 4, or 8 ?

Any of the above?

I never could figure this out.

For only two speakers, being powered by the stock head unit, you're going to need 2 ohm speakers.

Not sure what year your bike is, but if you have a 2013-under, you're going to need adapters for any speaker larger than 5.25.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just like the title says I'm looking for suggestions for one pair of speakers that would work well with what I currently have. I have the HawgWired sixpack now, and while it is a tremendous improvement over stock I still can't hear it that well over 60-65mph or so. It came with the RS400 amp (100 watts rms) so I was wondering if there is a pair of speakers that would be enough of an improvement over the HawgWired speakers to warrant the expense. I was thinking of getting lowers and adding speakers there as well but I'm slowly turning this thing into a bit of a hotrod and probably won't ever get the lowers. Just wondering if it's worth the added expense if I'm going to stay with only one pair of speakers. Also, still running stock head unit, might be willing to upgrade that too.
You should be able to hear the HW 6pak at speeds of 70 to 80 MPH

I have installed over 50 of these kits, some with the HW 6.5 ZX speakers and some with the HAT 6.5 Imagine speakers. There is not much difference in loudness between the speakers. There is a lot of difference in quality of sound and construction and the ability to "Live" running for extended periods in the 75 to 100 Watt RMS range.

It sounds to me like there is something wrong in the setup or the adjustment of the Amp.

Give me a call and lets get it working right, before you start spending money

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ok guys! you will not be able to efficiently power any high quality speaker with a head unit alone.not possible. so you can put as many of any size you want if you don't power them correctly they will (Blow) in more ways than one.(speakers alone will not make a system louder)

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I used the J&M Rokker speakers and the J&M 250 watt 2 channel amp and it work OK at highway speeds. When using just 2 speaker you would want to stick with the 2 ohm speakers.
I just put in the J&M lower fairing speakers and they do make a big difference in the audio.
I did use just the Aquatic 5-BT-H media player with just the J&M speakers and no amp and the audio was real good.
I just got the 500 watt J&M 500 watt amp working and it sound good but I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet to compare sound quality.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not wanting the lower faring/speakers or the tour-pak/speakers... I just want two big-ole-in-your'e-face speakers. That's all...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should be able to hear the HW 6pak at speeds of 70 to 80 MPH

I have installed over 50 of these kits, some with the HW 6.5 ZX speakers and some with the HAT 6.5 Imagine speakers. There is not much difference in loudness between the speakers. There is a lot of difference in quality of sound and construction and the ability to "Live" running for extended periods in the 75 to 100 Watt RMS range.

It sounds to me like there is something wrong in the setup or the adjustment of the Amp.

Give me a call and lets get it working right, before you start spending money
I'll give you a call this evening sometime Karl. Thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
I hear my J&M Rokkers with their 250watt amp just fine at 80-85mph.
It'd be nice to have 2 more in the lowers with a 500 watt amp but not worth the extra $ for me right now.

As dbell eluded to, the Hertz HSK 165XL might be a bit better since they're 93.5 db sensitivity verses the Rokker's 92 db.

For the unaware, higher sensitivity means the speaker can convert more of the amp's power to sound. You won't likely find many speakers if any for this application better than 93.5db.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ok guys! you will not be able to efficiently power any high quality speaker with a head unit alone.not possible. so you can put as many of any size you want if you don't power them correctly they will (Blow) in more ways than one.(speakers alone will not make a system louder)

"High quality" speaker is a relative term. All of the high quality speaker makers have low wattage speakers. Power wise, you just need to match your head unit to the speakers. Speakers alone will absolutely make a system louder, especially if you change out the stock HD garbage for a quality aftermarket set. I've seen lots of people go to the jbl gto 638s without an amp and get much louder and clearer sound.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts