Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I considering changing out the speakers in my fairing, for now just the two. I'm not planning on putting on an amp just yet. Eventually I'd like to put 4 speakers in the fairing, get the fairing painted, put the lower speakers in, etc, etc, etc, etc, but I didn't win the powerball last night, so...

I've checked out speakers from hogtunes, hogwired, J&M, and Rockford. I wasn't sure if there was 'other' things out there. Thus far I'm liking the J&M 7.25" speakers as it appears they are improvements even with no amp, AND can handle an amp when I get to the 'wish list'.

So my question is if there is something else I should consider and be aware of?

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Just about any speaker is going to be and sound better than stock. There are many other choices besides the ones you listed. Keep reading in the audio forums, best way to decide would be if you can compare by listening.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im running a set of Biketronics 7.1's in the fairing. They carry a lifetime warranty, they are not cheap but are great speakers. I highly recommend them. You will need to run an amp for these speakers. Running the speakers without an amp will upgrade your sound from stock, but not by much. If your on a budget and you don't mind losing FM, the SS 4.520 ($110) is a great little amp. If you want to run a 2 speaker setup, a lot of people are running a set of Infinity 62.11 and a PBR 300X2 ($150). You don't risk the loss of FM with the PBR. Will also need a set of adaptor rings, which you can find on eBay. Lots of choices out there, make sure you select the right one...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in theprocess of doing the Infinity Kappa 62.11 and a Fosgate Pbr 300x2. I did hook the speakers up with no amp just to see the sound difference and I do not think you will be disappointed but that is no amp so keep that in mind. Way way better than stock though. Those stock speakers are little crappy china speakers and the magnet is a joke. Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am in theprocess of doing the Infinity Kappa 62.11 and a Fosgate Pbr 300x2. I did hook the speakers up with no amp just to see the sound difference and I do not think you will be disappointed but that is no amp so keep that in mind. Way way better than stock though. Those stock speakers are little crappy china speakers and the magnet is a joke. Good luck!
+1 I hooked up and ran the kappas through the stock head unit with no amp for 2 weeks before I had a chance to hook up the amp (soundstream). However, once you hook up the amp the sound difference is unreal. For what the OP is thinking of spending on a set of J&Ms, he could run the kappas, SS amp, adapters, and all wiring and still probably come out cheaper.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 15 RGS that I put lower fairing on. I ordered 2 sets of Infinity 62.11I's and a NVX amp from Amazon. I ordered all the wiring harness's from Vtwin and I am under $600.00. My system sounds amazing compared to the stock set up. I just ordered a BT4180 thats going in to replace the NVX for a little more power. Cant wait...

·
Registered
758 Posts
I am in theprocess of doing the Infinity Kappa 62.11 and a Fosgate Pbr 300x2.
OP - Do some searching around the various forums and you'll find that this is far and away the most common bang for the buck solution. Great setup for not a lot of cash. Save yourself some time and buy the amp now, ask me how I know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I'll bite. How do you know?

Also: How do the infinity speakers hold up in the elements? I hit rain multiple times throughout the year, and can't always cover the bike when it's parked. (I travel allot). Do they do ok with that?

I guess I should say first, what I'm finding first are automotive speakers. If that's not correct, then the question above is void.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. How do you know?

Also: How do the infinity speakers hold up in the elements? I hit rain multiple times throughout the year, and can't always cover the bike when it's parked. (I travel allot). Do they do ok with that?

I guess I should say first, what I'm finding first are automotive speakers. If that's not correct, then the question above is void.
The Infinity will be fine, they may not be waterproof, but they are very water resistant. I have a set on my inner fairing and used to have them in my lowers, I've rode all day in the rain a few times, and have also left the bike outside uncovered with no problem at all.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Here are some pics i took last night. The adapter rings did not fit right without trimming down a couple of pieces on the harley speaker grill. Other than that nice fit.
What adapters did you use ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought them off ebay and they said it was from ARC Audio but it could have been a knock off but they work. I did not really have the right tools to shave the plastic so i improvised and used a hack saw. You cant even see what i did once installed. Still worth the $38 though.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I bought them off ebay and they said it was from ARC Audio but it could have been a knock off but they work. I did not really have the right tools to shave the plastic so i improvised and used a hack saw. You cant even see what i did once installed. Still worth the $38 though.
I used Hawg Wired's and everything fit perfectly.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Im running a set of Biketronics 7.1's in the fairing. They carry a lifetime warranty, they are not cheap but are great speakers. I highly recommend them. You will need to run an amp for these speakers. Running the speakers without an amp will upgrade your sound from stock, but not by much. If your on a budget and you don't mind losing FM, the SS 4.520 ($110) is a great little amp. If you want to run a 2 speaker setup, a lot of people are running a set of Infinity 62.11 and a PBR 300X2 ($150). You don't risk the loss of FM with the PBR. Will also need a set of adaptor rings, which you can find on eBay. Lots of choices out there, make sure you select the right one...
I'm considering these two amps as well for a 2 speaker (2 ohm) system. Like the idea of a 4 channel amp for future expansion. Is the loss of FM reception a sure bet using the SS 4.520 amp? Maybe just the location of the amp in proximity to the head unit? I'd like to hear if anyone has used this amp without the loss of FM.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm considering these two amps as well for a 2 speaker (2 ohm) system. Like the idea of a 4 channel amp for future expansion. Is the loss of FM reception a sure bet using the SS 4.520 amp? Maybe just the location of the amp in proximity to the head unit? I'd like to hear if anyone has used this amp without the loss of FM.
I just put the 4.520 amp in with the infinity 62.11s and there was some FM loss. I'm currently running the stock head unit with the amp installed in the inner fairing. I also still have the antenna in the stock location out back. I can still pick up my main stations I listen to, but one of them gets pretty fuzzy.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I have the SS Nano and the FM is not a total wash out, just not near as strong as it was. I also run whip in the oem rear position.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks griswold and Big g. So what is it with this amp? It seems pretty popular for having this down side. Then again maybe FM isn't as big a deal any more with mp3 and streaming app's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts