Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mod has taken 4/ever to get rite but I think I've finally GOT IT!

I've went thru 3 different sets of speaker grills, and still aint 100% sure of how to mount the speakers, w/o the grills rubbing on the Triple Tree Hseing.

So I'm at the point of cuttin the holes this wkd. and we'll c if the speaker will b mounted totally on the inside of the inner fairing or, mounting the speaker w/the lip of the speaker mounted on the outside of the inner fairing. I've taken a couple pics, just to show ya how "Tight" this is.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be interested in the final solution, with the direction of the speaker how will it sound?
Direction,...meaning the way its kinda "Hidden?"
All I can say is I heard Yaffe's Super Stereo Kit w/Saddlebag Lids last wkd. Sounded pretty good to me, but when I'm done I'll b pushin more watts than he has and will b using the Hawg-Wired 6.5" speakers in the stock holes and the "Power" Rockford Fosgates in the holes that are about to b cut. Along w/a 400 watt 4-channel amp. Yaffe's only got a 300 watt 4-channel amp. He uses Rockford Fosgate "Punch" speakers.

I'm pretty sure mine will sound better, but gotta get sum time to do what I gotta do this wkd.,cause my Painter has called and said hes ready!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Very interested in your results, Iam wanting to do something similar but I want to use those holes for 6 inch subs! (focal's)

·
Registered
115 Posts
This mod has taken 4/ever to get rite but I think I've finally GOT IT!

I've went thru 3 different sets of speaker grills, and still aint 100% sure of how to mount the speakers, w/o the grills rubbing on the Triple Tree Hseing.

So I'm at the point of cuttin the holes this wkd. and we'll c if the speaker will b mounted totally on the inside of the inner fairing or, mounting the speaker w/the lip of the speaker mounted on the outside of the inner fairing. I've taken a couple pics, just to show ya how "Tight" this is.
Hey Neano;
Are you using the 6.5" speaker adapter rings that are normally used in the fairing for this mod? I thought I read somewhere that if you do, the speakers will sit lower and give you more clearance between the grill and the Triple Tree Housing. BTW, I am still waiting on my painter to finish painting my stretched tank and one off dash panel. All of my Shark Nosed parts are done!! Jimmy

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Neano;
Are you using the 6.5" speaker adapter rings that are normally used in the fairing for this mod? I thought I read somewhere that if you do, the speakers will sit lower and give you more clearance between the grill and the Triple Tree Housing. BTW, I am still waiting on my painter to finish painting my stretched tank and one off dash panel. All of my Shark Nosed parts are done!! Jimmy
I've not heard of any adapter rings? U got a pic?
there aint "No Way" your gonna fit an adapter ring, like is used in the stock hole where these speakers go. Unless I'm totally "Blind" of a mod that I dont know of. Call me man. U still got my #?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
what is the difference in your inner speakers compared to yaffe's. I'm doing the same set up while the bike is down
Rockford Fosgate has a "New" line of speaker out for 2011. Yaffe uses a Midrange Component in that hole. If you look at the build pics of his 2011 Roadglide, you'll c that the glove box has been modified to allow for the speeaker depth.Plus he uses the "Punch" line of speaker, its the older model. I'm using the "Power Series"

Also w/him stretching the neck, he adds about 3 to 4" to the Frame. Plus w/the Rake Triple Trees he has more room for this mod.
I also had to space my clamps for the Turn Signals that clamp onto the Crash Bar out a 1/2 inch.
I'm also wondering if that Fairing Support Bar doesnt stretch things out a bit more too,u-no? I dont no what the width of that is compared to the width of the clamps that bolt onto the Crash Bar.

btw,...dude,...hope your feeln better!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If ya havent cut yet

Are you able to mount them to the inside and drill holes into the inner (Like a cheese grader)? Then leave enough room to do complete cut when you find a more shallow grill.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Are you able to mount them to the inside and drill holes into the inner (Like a cheese grader)? Then leave enough room to do complete cut when you find a more shallow grill.
Hay Frodoe,...
That wouldnt work either cause the Tweeter on the speaker sticks out past the actual speaker itself.
So we gotta cut the hole. If the speaker will mount "Totally" behind the Inner Fairing, between the Glove Box and the inner fairing w/o cutn the glove box up, then it'll b cool. It should give me a couple more options, for what grills to use
I'll get sum pics and post up in a day or 2.

Stay Tuned!
Same Bat Time
Same Bat Channel

·
Registered
120 Posts
Leave the grills off. They are just for protection, and I don't think the cones are in much danger in that location.

Toby

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea I agree leave the grills off, single are going with a mid subwoofer?

·
Registered
63 Posts
That looks good I am thinking about dooing the same but where does your amp go when you mount the speakers on the side and what amp are you useing?

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is gonna be one of the mods I do next winter. I am interested to see what speaker you use and how it all sounds when your done.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Installed my RFs in the same spot and the fit nicely with the grills on it is tight though. On the left side i actually had to move the faring support out a little bit because it was hitting but the right side had clearance. And I love the way they sound 4 6.5 RFs with 2 tweeters and 250 watt Wetsounds amp. This thing ROCKS

·
Registered
115 Posts
Installed my RFs in the same spot and the fit nicely with the grills on it is tight though. On the left side i actually had to move the faring support out a little bit because it was hitting but the right side had clearance. And I love the way they sound 4 6.5 RFs with 2 tweeters and 250 watt Wetsounds amp. This thing ROCKS

Hey Bro, Glad to hear you are done with your mod and like the way it sounds! Any words of advice or caution before I start hacking away on my inner fairing??

1 - 20 of 75 Posts