Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea too seal up these road glide pods? Seams To me if you are running a big mag.speaker with big power you should use more air.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is it a good idea too seal up these road glide pods? Seams To me if you are running a big mag.speaker with big power you should use more air.
You seal them up so that you don't hear any whistling with a high power system. It will suck air through the seems if their not sealed up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so wear will the speaker get air from If the pod is sealed? I was about to seal the pods and said I better ask the ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
All references on web to sealed or ported speaker enclosures reference woofers. Its more about buzzing through crack. i guess you could also drill a true port hole and test for performance and plug hole if it sounds worse.

http://ridebass.com/ported-vs-sealed-car-subwoofer-box/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok so wear will the speaker get air from If the pod is sealed? I was about to seal the pods and said I better ask the ?
you'll notice when you take the pod out there is a "drain" hole at the bottom. I left that open and sealed the seam all the rest of the way around the pod. No whistling through any cracks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ported speakers give you deep bass sound with some reverb at high volume. Sealed speakers give a tight, crisp sound. The "benefit" of a sealed speaker is as the speaker drives the bass note, it creates a vacuum to pull the speaker back. The vacuum, in conjunction with the change in polarity at the voice coil, makes for a quick, tight transition between frequencies. The "drawback" of a sealed enclosure is the cone doesn't have as much throw to reach deeper notes because of the vacuum.
By comparison, if you want to hear the deeper notes, a ported speaker allows the cone to move more freely (longer throw for lower frequencies) but at higher volumes you lose some clarity. A ported enclosure doesn't need as much volume to hit lower notes.
There still limitations regardless if you use a sealed or ported speaker--the smaller the cone, the less bass you'll hear. A 6" cone won't sound as "deep" as an 8" cone only because of the amount of air being moved.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The CVOs have the rear speaker pods vented to the tourpak with approx. 2" holes. Supposed to increase the base.
Harley sells a kit to port the pods into the tourpack for those that don't already have them ported. A little pricey but what HD part isn't.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the fairing on mine and I have a question.

Is the pod a 2 piece and if so do you split the pod, run a bead of silicone and then put the 2 pieces back together or just run a bead around the seam?

What is best and does anyone have pics, which would be helpful.

TIA,

Mike

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the fairing on mine and I have a question.

Is the pod a 2 piece and if so do you split the pod, run a bead of silicone and then put the 2 pieces back together or just run a bead around the seam?

What is best and does anyone have pics, which would be helpful.

TIA,

Mike

Exactly, pod splits from top to bottom. I ran bead in the channel which stays attached to the inner fairing and put pod back together and screwed it in. Make sure not to put silicone in the bottom water drainage hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts