Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike is 2010 road glide custom.

Stock fairing.

I just removed the Hog tunes 5x7 speakers. I am trying to install Memphis Audio 5x7 car speakers. I wired in the cross over and it sounds great!

But, the Hogtunes bracket is too narrow to mount the lower 2 screws that hold the speaker in?

I'll post pic.

I considered using small zip ties in the lower 2 holes but I don't know what problems that could cause, and the speaker bracket screw hole doesn't go all the way through so it'd still need modification.

The holes aren't even close.

Help?

Note: the screw is in the mounting tab on the speaker here, and the point is pointing to the mounting hole in the bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
IMHO I would get adapter rings for 6 1/2 round speakers, and go with a set of 6 1/2 in speakers of your choice. I am running Infinity Kappas and really like them.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only tried to use these cause I got them with the bike

Looks like they might be for sale soon if I don't figure it out.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
I'm going to do something similar with Infinity Kappa's 5X7 . The holes don't line up , can't you drill new holes in the speaker surrounds ?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Looks like there is some wiggle room in the top screw hole on the speaker. Can you elongate the bottom screw holes enough tho get the screw started?

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
I didn't spend much time but when I did a quick mock up, it looked like I'd get at least 3 screws in.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha you guys are funny.

I'll look again, you've renewed my ambition. 6.5's are not in the budget.

The pic makes the mounts look closer than they are. Were talking almost an inch off here. If I drilled where the screw hole is, I'd go right through the speaker itself.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Haha you guys are funny.

I'll look again, you've renewed my ambition. 6.5's are not in the budget.

The pic makes the mounts look closer than they are. Were talking almost an inch off here. If I drilled where the screw hole is, I'd go right through the speaker itself.
You might have to move the speaker and or bracket around a little. I think I had one hole lined up, the other two were going to need to be drilled out. I did the mock up on the work bench , not on the bike. Makes it easier.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
OK, looking back at the pictures you posted, it looks like your talking about mounting the speakers to the "mounting rings" and the "mounting rings" are attached to the inner fairing, right? If that's the case, I'd take Big-Gary suggestion and take the "mounting rings" off the inner fairing, take them and the speakers over to my workbench, and see if there is any way I could reorient the speakers on the mounting rings. Then I would drill pilot holes through the speaker mounting holes into the "mounting rings" at all four points. Then I'd remount the rings to the inner fairing and then mount the speakers to the rings using self tapping screws. Being careful not to use so much torque that I stripped out the holes I just drilled! The problem is that you're using 5x7 speakers on a mounting ring designed for 6x5 speakers!If that doesn't work you can always use both the speaker and the mounting rings to fabricate a new mounting ring out of wood or a similar plastic material if you happen to have any laying around. otherwise hit up radio shack and see what kind of adapters
they may have.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Top 2 holes have screws, bottom 2 holes have zip ties through the speakers tab, and then through the whole bracket, like wrapped around them. With the zip ties fished between the bracket and the grill. A fishing nightmare.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I don't think car speakers are the best option for the bike. Bike speakers are open to the elements and the weather and water is not real good on car speakers.
Marine grade speakers are the only speakers you should use unless you don't wash your bike or you never get caught riding in a rain storm.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I don't think car speakers are the best option for the bike. Bike speakers are open to the elements and the weather and water is not real good on car speakers.

Marine grade speakers are the only speakers you should use unless you don't wash your bike or you never get caught riding in a rain storm.

All quality speakers have some sort of weather resistant coating on them now. Nothing is truly water proof. Got caught in rain a few times with my hertz stuff and wash my bike plenty and no issues. Good thing for the bike audio companies that some folks still feel this way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts