Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just buttoned up the install of my new PBR300x2 and a set of Rainbow 6.5" speakers in my 2013 Road Glide....got it all dialed in, sound great...even wrapped the speakers in a thin layer of poly-fill as suggested .

Went to put the outer fairing back on and it doesnt fit...WTF. Found that my crossovers were in the way, moved the crossovers and it almost fits perfectly...except the speakers hit the fairing now.

I used a set of E-bay speaker adapters and the 6.5" Rainbows I installed are approx. 2 1/2" deep...so with the adapters say 3" total. Anyone else have this problem?? I even pulled off the poly fill and they still hit.

Now I have to find another set of "shallow" mount components to fit the fairing, since I already removed 2 gauges to install the tweeters. Can I safely swap out the "woofers" without replacing the tweeters and crossovers??

What component set ups has everyone else used in their Glides??

Thanks in advance for the help...I'm done bitchin' now !!

·
Registered
341 Posts
With the 2 sets of adaptors I have they are offset to one side, took some screwing with to get them in the right way so the speakers didnt hit

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the 2 sets of adaptors I have they are offset to one side, took some screwing with to get them in the right way so the speakers didnt hit

The adapters do have a "conical " shape but sitting flat on a table they are the same height all the way around...does that make sense?? Meaning 1 side is not higher than the other....I will have to look at mine tomorrow.

thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
The adapters do have a "conical " shape but sitting flat on a table they are the same height all the way around...does that make sense?? Meaning 1 side is not higher than the other....I will have to look at mine tomorrow.

thanks
Mine are the same height across, the 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 holes are offset to one side.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I used Hawg wired adapters. They only went on one way. If you mounted them wrong the screws the hold the speakers on would bottom out on the OEM mount.
I just mounted Infinity Kappa 6.5 and everything fit good. I even used foam speaker surrounds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully moving the rings will work....looking at other speakers , mine are the same depth as most...couldnt believe they didnt fit....after running wires, and soldering everything and making it nice ands neet...I was ready to smash something when the fairing didnt go on ....lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Qick speaker question while I'm at it....my speakers are rated @ 100 watt rms...150 peak..these are 4 ohm speaker...the pbr300x2 is rated @ 100 continious @ 4 ohm.

Will running the speakers at RMS cause any damage?

Also what speakers are people using for a 2 ohm load @ 150 watt with the pbr300x2 ? I looked at a bunch and most of the popular speakers people are running are rated no where near 150watt rms...am I missing something?

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Qick speaker question while I'm at it....my speakers are rated @ 100 watt rms...150 peak..these are 4 ohm speaker...the pbr300x2 is rated @ 100 continious @ 4 ohm.

Will running the speakers at RMS cause any damage?

Also what speakers are people using for a 2 ohm load @ 150 watt with the pbr300x2 ? I looked at a bunch and most of the popular speakers people are running are rated no where near 150watt rms...am I missing something?
The PBR 300 x 2 is actually delivering about 140 watts per channel @ 2 ohms. As with any amp , you never want to run wide open . I got the gain set to about 5 . It seems like a good setting for the Infinity kappa's I'm running.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got Hertz 6.5 HCX with the foam cup thingy around it and it is tight but they fit. Hawg wired adapters move the speakers in a little. I was worried about blowing speakers or my PBR getting too hot so I have my gain about 5 also. Next time I take the fairing off I am going to turn it up a little tho.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, with the gain @ max the amp puts out max wattage? So set at 5 or 1/2 way the wattage is less?

I'm a little confused...like I said there are not many speakers that are rated for 150 watt continious.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I tried to set my amp so that I didn't have to crank the volume up to 30 or so to hear it. I wanted it fairly loud lower on the volume levels. I did it in the garage of course, and seemed loud as hell, but when riding I have to crank up higher so I want to turn my gain up a little higher. So, I guess you just have to set your gain to the level you want or that works for your system.

·
Registered
809 Posts
So, with the gain @ max the amp puts out max wattage? So set at 5 or 1/2 way the wattage is less?

I'm a little confused...like I said there are not many speakers that are rated for 150 watt continious.
The way I set the gain on my hawg wired set up is to use a cd and turn the volume up to about 75% the turn the gain up until it starts to distort, then back it off until it sounds good. This is per HW's instructions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I set mine a little different per an article I read...

bass and treble flat
gain set flat
amp set to AP
volume up till distortion
set bass 2 clicks past half
set amp to HP
adjust gain till distortion ...back off a bit
set amp back to AP

enjoy....my gain ended up about 5...maybe a little less. Sounds good and I can go full volume without distortion which is what u want considering @ 70 mph you cannot hear distortion...so adjusted this way will save your speakers, IMHO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I tried moving the adapter rings so the off-set was toward the radio and no luck...2 of the mounting holes line up but the 3rd isn't even close. Also, the stock mount hits the adapter rings in 2 places...so I either have to dremel a hole completely through the adapter ring or grind the stock mount which I do not want to do.

I bought these adapters from Eastern Performance off e-bay....originally, I had to cut off some of the fins on the back to get them in at all. I have tried everything and they only fit 1 way, with the off-set toward the fairing which is where the speaker hits.

What adapters has everyone used to get a good fit in their Glide...mine is a 2013'.

I'm thinking spend the $40 and get Hawg Wired adapters...from what i have read they fit decent.

I have a hard time believing my speakers are to big to fit !!

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Well, I tried moving the adapter rings so the off-set was toward the radio and no luck...2 of the mounting holes line up but the 3rd isn't even close. Also, the stock mount hits the adapter rings in 2 places...so I either have to dremel a hole completely through the adapter ring or grind the stock mount which I do not want to do.

I bought these adapters from Eastern Performance off e-bay....originally, I had to cut off some of the fins on the back to get them in at all. I have tried everything and they only fit 1 way, with the off-set toward the fairing which is where the speaker hits.

What adapters has everyone used to get a good fit in their Glide...mine is a 2013'.

I'm thinking spend the $40 and get Hawg Wired adapters...from what i have read they fit decent.

I have a hard time believing my speakers are to big to fit !!

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Hawg wired adapters are what I used. My kappa 6.5s are about 2.75" deep. No worries.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
"Hawg wired adapters are what I used. My kappa 6.5s are about 2.75" deep. No worries."

I knew my speakers would fit...lol 2.75" is actually a big speaker...Hawg Wired it is...thanks.

While I'm waiting for the adapters I can put the new pipes on....maybe even get to ride it this summer !!

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
"Hawg wired adapters are what I used. My kappa 6.5s are about 2.75" deep. No worries."

I knew my speakers would fit...lol 2.75" is actually a big speaker...Hawg Wired it is...thanks.

While I'm waiting for the adapters I can put the new pipes on....maybe even get to ride it this summer !!
I used these instead of poly. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_696B050340/Boom-Mat-6-3-4-Speaker-Baffles-Regular-4-1-4-depth.html?tp=2809&awkw=66093696865&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=37970933785&awdv=m

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am trying to buy a set of Hawg Wired adapters and they list them for FLHT/FLTR....are they the same ?...I thought they were different.

I can seem to find Road Glide specific adapter ..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts