Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law doesn’t need his Harbor Freight bike-lift anymore, and he gave it to me. He already put a better, after-market chock on it that locks the tire in. I’ve wanted one for years, and read much about them on this forum. My only concern is this: I’m 5’7”, 28” inseam, and I ride a 2017 RGU. I have modified my seat so I can flat foot the bike. I am not so nervous about riding up on this thing, but I am obviously a bit nervous about backing off, and wonder if I could hear any suggestions, or whether anyone has made any modifications or improvements that would lessen the likelihood of a disaster?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Lots of places sell extensions to attach to the sides. So you have a safe place to walk it each way. Ortiz could make them put of wood planks and sit then on the floor on either side of it. The board's would need to be built up to suit...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
The transition where the front tire is on the lift but the rear tire is on the ramp is the most dangerous spot and not where you want to stop. You could pull the seat when putting the bike on and off just in case.

I added sides to mine after seeing someone else post it on these forums.
smIMG_0291.JPG
smIMG_0293.JPG

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I hate the add on sides when it's up. Handy to put stuff on but always in the way. I normally take the seat off it helps a bunch. Sometimes I put a 2x6 and a 4x4 stacked on each side. But they sometimes move if you try to push on them, so they only catch you tipping over. But taking the seat off is the big one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
I put the add on sides using HF ATV ramps, mine are removable. I also modded mine to work with the 12 ton air/hydraulic jack from HF instead of having to foot pump it 60 times. I use an aluminum ramp i had to drive up on because the stock ramp is to much of an angle and i hit the lift before i could get it up on it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The transition where the front tire is on the lift but the rear tire is on the ramp is the most dangerous spot and not where you want to stop. You could pull the seat when putting the bike on and off just in case.

I added sides to mine after seeing someone else post it on these forums. View attachment 410132 View attachment 410133
My brother-in-law doesn’t need his Harbor Freight bike-lift anymore, and he gave it to me. He already put a better, after-market chock on it that locks the tire in. I’ve wanted one for years, and read much about them on this forum. My only concern is this: I’m 5’7”, 28” inseam, and I ride a 2017 RGU. I have modified my seat so I can flat foot the bike. I am not so nervous about riding up on this thing, but I am obviously a bit nervous about backing off, and wonder if I could hear any suggestions, or whether anyone has made any modifications or improvements that would lessen the likelihood of a disaster?
I took and welded 1.5" square tubing on each side of mine, in 3 spots along the length of the table. Then I used angle iron to construct a frame, topped with 1/2" plywood, held on with carriage bolts. I then welded some smaller square tubing to that frame, and the side extensions slide into the 1.5" tubing thats welded to the underside of the table. Makes it super easy to ride up on, or back the bike off the lift. One of these days I'll post pics of it.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

I added sides to mine after seeing someone else post it on these forums. View attachment 410132 View attachment 410133
I put the add on sides using HF ATV ramps, mine are removable. I also modded mine to work with the 12 ton air/hydraulic jack from HF instead of having to foot pump it 60 times. I use an aluminum ramp i had to drive up on because the stock ramp is to much of an angle and i hit the lift before i could get it up on it.

View attachment 410138
View attachment 410140
Twowheeladdict/Dragon Dude,

What are those side ramps made out of? Can you buy them like that and just attach them?

·
Registered
860 Posts
There made out of thin steel. You can get them at Harbor Freight, there ATV ramps. I welded some fence top rail pipe on to mine and attached them to the lift with 2" U bolts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Fix a couple of portable (removeable) skids on each side to match the lift height while in the lowered position. Make them out of wood, and just place them when moving the bike. This way you have no extensions in the way while working on the bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Made side extensions with 2x10 lumber.
Used black pipe mounted with ubolts underneath lift and slightly smaller diameter pipe mounted to boards. Similar to the guys using the atv ramps. Works great for loading bike on and off. Also allows me to use lift for the kid’s go kart and the riding mower.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Fix a couple of portable (removeable) skids on each side to match the lift height while in the lowered position. Make them out of wood, and just place them when moving the bike. This way you have no extensions in the way while working on the bike.
The extensions slide out of the way when not needed, but I have not found them to be in the way yet.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I hate the add on sides when it's up. Handy to put stuff on but always in the way. I normally take the seat off it helps a bunch. Sometimes I put a 2x6 and a 4x4 stacked on each side. But they sometimes move if you try to push on them, so they only catch you tipping over. But taking the seat off is the big one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I loosen the nuts a few turns and the ramps slide off and out of the way if needed. I have not found them to be in the way yet.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mine are the same way, loosen a couple of bolts and they pull out. Sometimes i leave them on to sit parts and tools on, depends on the work going on at the time. The best mod was the air/hydraulics jack i added to the lift. For such a cheap lift, with these mods turns it into something worth while.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Would something simple like putting 2x4 boards on the floor work? I don’t have a lift so am not sure, do at your own risk, etc. But long boards would seem to be a no-welding solution that would let your feet touch the ‘ground’ while backing the bike off a lift.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts