Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I know there are a ton of threads on here and this cam and that cam and why each are better, worse, etc...I wanted to give some specifics on my bike and riding style and see if you all could help point me in the right direction. I've been talking with another member about some options so I thought I'd throw it out to the masses and see what kind of feedback I get.
Here are the specifics

-2012 RGU / Custom (hardly ever run with the TP)
-103"
-Stage 1 A/C
-SE Super Tuner Pro
-Rush 2 into 1 pipes
-I ride solo almost exclusively
-Most of my weekday riding is around town, but I do ride a few hundred miles every weekend on highways
-I'm not looking for something that is going to keep up with a crotch rocket, but just some low end torque from 2k-4k
-I'm not a high rpm shifter, usually around 3.5k
-Would like something that makes my bike sound more old school w/ a lope
-Would like to stick with the SE cams, but not dead set on that

I've heard a lot about the 254s, some about the 255s and not much about the 204s
The one thing that I do like about the 204s from what I have seen is the sound that they make at idle. My dad is an old school rider and I've always wanted my bike to sound like his. It "hits a lick" and I just can't help but smile every time I hear it. Of course it is carbed, but the 204s seem to create that sound from what I've seen on YouTube. I know that may not be the reason that most people change cams, but it will factor in my decision.
I know this is a lot to go over, but I thought I would put a specific thread out here and see what I come up with.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That sweet old school "potato potato" lope does sound good doesn't it? There was a newer bike at my local dealer that they were doing some work on that had that sound and they told me what cam was in it (it was an HD SE cam) but which one it was is escaping me right now. I know, lotta help I'm being! :confused:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've got the 204s in my 103, I'm really happy with them, both sound and performance. They really run nice in a touring bike, and actually made 6th gear useable under 70mph.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the 204s in my 103, I'm really happy with them, both sound and performance. They really run nice in a touring bike, and actually made 6th gear useable under 70mph.
What made you decide to go with those? What is the biggest difference in those and the 254/5? I talked to my dealer Sunday and they were pushing me toward the 255s.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
What made you decide to go with those? What is the biggest difference in those and the 254/5? I talked to my dealer Sunday and they were pushing me toward the 255s.

#1. I had several cams in consideration and I found the 204s cheap, so I went with them.
Primary reason the 254/5s get pushed I think is that they are the "latest and greatest" from the MoCo, and have the higher lift compatible with the later heads, which really isn't needed IMO at these power levels.
Both these cams have very low overlap, which is great if you're trying to keep emissions down, but also doesn't let the exhaust help to draw the intake charge in. IMO the 204 is a more "efficient" cam that does well filling the space between the a "grandpa" cam(255) and a "twist it up" cam.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Subscribed.

Dealer is steering me towards SE255's for my brand new 2013 103" RG custom. Vance and Hines power duals and CFR mufflers, Screaming Eagle Extreme Billet air cleaner and SE race tuner with a dyno tune. He said thats what the CVO's come with and work great. I realize the CVO has 110", but he said thats what he recomends.

I do most of my shifting before 4500. Mostly solo riding around town during week and solo riding on long mtn cruises on weekends.

Any suggestions on SE cams?

·
Registered
210 Posts
That sweet old school "potato potato" lope does sound good doesn't it? There was a newer bike at my local dealer that they were doing some work on that had that sound and they told me what cam was in it (it was an HD SE cam) but which one it was is escaping me right now. I know, lotta help I'm being! :confused:
You are speaking for the SE204 cam. My brother has this in his Street Bob and they sound awesome at idle, a real "potato, potato" sound. For sound, these are my favorite bolt in cam.

If you are putting the SE204 in your 103" with stock compression, you'll want to make sure you have compression releases. In a 96" with stock compression, you shouldn't need them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Subscribed.

Dealer is steering me towards SE255's for my brand new 2013 103" RG custom. Vance and Hines power duals and CFR mufflers, Screaming Eagle Extreme Billet air cleaner and SE race tuner with a dyno tune. He said thats what the CVO's come with and work great. I realize the CVO has 110", but he said thats what he recomends.

I do most of my shifting before 4500. Mostly solo riding around town during week and solo riding on long mtn cruises on weekends.

Any suggestions on SE cams?

SE255 is a fine cam for a touring bike. Lots of them have been installed in 103s. Good low end torque, but I think it leaves a lot of things on the table. The SE204 sounds better at idle and makes better power. Other aftermarket cams make more power everywhere.

SE204 is a good cam, like I said above it sounds awesome at idle. You'll get around 90 hp / 100 tq with that cam. Plenty of power for a touring bike. My brothers Street Bob gets about that with his 103" and SE204. Since its an SE cam, most dealers have no issue with installing it.

In most instances there are bolt in aftermarket cams that make more power in a 103". TW-222, Andrews 57H, S&S570, T-Man 555TQ all would make slightly more hp/tq but probably not have the same choppy idle as the SE204. Check out the dyno charts for the TW-222 on FMs website for comparison.

Good luck.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have the SE204 cams installed also. I am well satisfied with the choice I made. Pulls great and gets up and goes when you want it to. I have the PCV with AT and am getting 40-43 mpg. IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts