Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere in the forum the suggestion to replace the clutch cover bolts with hex head stainless bolts. This seems like a good idea.

Can anyone tell me what the specs for the bolts should be? That's probably not a hardware item, and might need to be ordered.

More generally, is there somewhere that lists the specs for all the fasterners used on a Harley?

Many thanks,

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Yep, called the service manual :D Not sure if anyone has posted the specs on the forum.

The derby cover torque specs are 84-108 in lbs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that was a pretty fast reply. Unfortunately, not so clever.
I have a service manual, thanks. Now, why don't you cleverly tell me where the specs for the fasteners are........not the torque specs, but the fastener specs.

After all, I was looking to _replace_ a bolt, not tighten it.

Yep, called the service manual :D Not sure if anyone has posted the specs on the forum.

The derby cover torque specs are 84-108 in lbs.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I use SS allen head bolts which is available at most local hardware stores. Take a old bolt out of your derby cover and take it with you to the hardware store, you can get the allen head bolts in chrome at most ACE hardware stores as well.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
I have a service manual, thanks. Now, why don't you cleverly tell me where the specs for the fasteners are........not the torque specs, but the fastener specs.

My bad, misunderstood ya. 1/4-20 x 5/8" is the spec.

Ronnies online will usually show the spec for bolts.

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson®/FLTRU_KGM_ROAD_GLIDE_ULTRA_(2012)/PRIMARY_HOUSING/99456-12\KGM/99456-12\PRIMARY|~HOUSING\KGM

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'll do that!

I use SS allen head bolts which is available at most local hardware stores. Take a old bolt out of your derby cover and take it with you to the hardware store, you can get the allen head bolts in chrome at most ACE hardware stores as well.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts

do you have a parts manual? the specs for most (not all) of the hardware can be found in the back of the manual.

example: derby cover bolt, part number 1062. 1/4-20 x 5/8 torx head, grade 8

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
I switched mine out with chrome short headed Allen head . I got them from the HD dealer.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I replaced mine with 12 point bolts, powder coated black

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts