Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, question for you, Does the 2012 RGC speedo needle only monitor up to 120 and no more? It seems to stop at 120 and not rise any higher and it feels like I am still accelerating. I made 2 attempts on the same day and the needle stopped at 120. Or is that all she's got?

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
My 2010 wouldn't even do 120 with the 96 b before I slightly modified it, and b the 2016 struggles, so I don't think it'll do quite 120. But to answer your question, my 2010 is capable of well over 120, the speedometer, no. The needle just lies there while the bike still accelerates. Download an app with GPS to find your maximum speed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Wot - 120 mp/h on a FLTR... I wouldn't try that on my 2001 "double-wobble" scoot. It handles slightly better after I installed the Touring Link, but still...
However I did 140 mp/h on a BMW K1200RS on the Autobahn but the only thing these machines have in common is the dry-weight! :D

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Isn't 120 fast enough on a touring bike? :wink:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Hey Guys, question for you, Does the 2012 RGC speedo needle only monitor up to 120 and no more? It seems to stop at 120 and not rise any higher and it feels like I am still accelerating. I made 2 attempts on the same day and the needle stopped at 120. Or is that all she's got?
Does your speedo have any numbers higher than 120? The answer for this question might be the same answer for your question. :wink:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Like I told my son when he said he wanted a sport bike that could do almost 200mph..."What good can happen at that speed?" Adapted from my fathers, "What good can happen running the streets after 2am?"

·
Registered
967 Posts
120 that's it. If still pulling will need other instrument as GPS to know your speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2010 wouldn't even do 120 with the 96 b before I slightly modified it, and b the 2016 struggles, so I don't think it'll do quite 120. But to answer your question, my 2010 is capable of well over 120, the speedometer, no. The needle just lies there while the bike still accelerates. Download an app with GPS to find your maximum speed.
Thank you. My 1998 FXSTC would continue to wind further than 120, this is why I thought it odd.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
That was not my question.
No it wasn't! But the reason the speedometer doesn't go over 120 mph is probably because HD thinks 120 is fast enough on a touring bike and sees no need to have a speedometer that read higher. :wink:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Back in the early 80's some idiot mother's against fun type organization decided that people would stop going over 100mph if the speedo couldn't tell them they had gotten there. This is why all the speedos from back then stop at 85mph.

I'm guessing you're wondering if the device is either internally mechanically or electronically "pinned" to prevent it from reading higher than X, because there is an obvious historical precedent in play.

Simple answer is it to do the same thing we did back then...use the tach to workout where the bike actually tops out at.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Also not the question.
Yes! But it is the answer because HD has the speedometer made and they install it on the bike so maybe that's why the speedometer doesn't go over 120. HD may consider it a protection device to try to keep idiots from killing themselves. HD also puts a max mph limit on the cruise control because they think it will keep idiots from being idiots. JMO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts