Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need a second opinion other than the dealer that is usually wrong. Recently my speedo stopped working and I had to order another for my 2009 FLTRSE3 when I ordered it the dealer asked how many miles I had on the bike and I told them now the speedo came in and the mileage is wrong by 120 miles less that what is on the bike, they said it wont be a problem then another tech tells them it will be when the bike is plugged into the computer? can someone please assist what I should do? just order another one that is exact? thank you for the help.

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
I wouldnt sweat 120 miles , they are off about 1.5% anyways ..

I have herd the computer will correct it , but I do not know that for a fact .

JtB

·
Registered
483 Posts
is it off because it was ordered wrong or because you rode the bike between order and install ? if it was ordered wrong the dealer should handle it if you rode it then I would say you would have to take care of it . However as Jack said for 120 miles I would install it and go .

Eagle

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The milage on your bike is stored in the speedometer not the engines ecm. When you replace the speedometer it will read whatever the dealer or the moco programed in it. Sounds like the got the numbers off by 120. It will in no way effect anything.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The HD speedometers runs fast by 4 to 5 MPH so I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The HD speedometers runs fast by 4 to 5 MPH so I wouldn't worry.
Interesting. I stopped to get gas yesterday, reset my B odometer and then road about 50 yards to the bar next door and the B odometer showed it was .1 miles. No wonder my dealer says I shouln't shift into 6th gear until 80 mph.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Interesting. I stopped to get gas yesterday, reset my B odometer and then road about 50 yards to the bar next door and the B odometer showed it was .1 miles. No wonder my dealer says I shouln't shift into 6th gear until 80 mph.
The dealer is full of shit telling you not to use 6th gear until you hit 80mph!! I have used 6th gear as low as 45mph with no problems and cruise in 6th at 50 to 55 mph all the time.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It doesnt matter what gear your in for your odometer or speedometer to work. The speed pickup measures the rotation of the output shaft and calculates from there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It doesnt matter what gear your in for your odometer or speedometer to work. The speed pickup measures the rotation of the output shaft and calculates from there.
Yep. Not sure how .1 got on the odometer but it did. And I'm not waiting till I reach 80 to go to 6th. I usually go in at 65-70. The engine is not lugging at that speed as the dealer wants to claim. Maybe they should read the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Your trip meter is tied to the odometer when it comes to measuring distance, it is not a seperate odometer in itself. When you reset it the trip meter display it will go to 0.0 but it does not start measuring distance from there. It measures off of the odometer. If your odo is going to indicate the next 10th of a mile in 50 feet or 500 feet thats when the trip meter will change 1/10th as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Your trip meter is tied to the odometer when it comes to measuring distance, it is not a seperate odometer in itself. When you reset it the trip meter display it will go to 0.0 but it does not start measuring distance from there. It measures off of the odometer. If your odo is going to indicate the next 10th of a mile in 50 feet or 500 feet thats when the trip meter will change 1/10th as well. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Tmd. That is good to know. I would have never though that it worked that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts