Road Glide banner

Spontaneous Road Trip

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  hawk06Glide 
#1 ·
My girlfriend and I woke up Friday morning and decided to go for a ride for breakfast. We stopped at the Astoria diner in York, PA. Then decided to hop on PA 234 West which is a nice 2 lane road that parallels US 30 until they meet outside of Arendtsville, PA. I'm a big fan of historic roads so, we kept going west on US 30 Lincoln Hwy which became 4 lanes through Caledonia State Park. It went back to 2 lanes and went through Chambersburg. Around Fort London the road turns into a twisting, climbing road that is a ton of fun. Elevation climbed up to about 2600 ft, with a couple switchbacks and very fun turns up and down mountains through Mcconnelsburg, Breezewood, and Bedford. It was about 1 coming through Bedford so we decided to stop and eat lunch at the historic Jean Bonnet Tavern at the intersection of 30 and 31. Food is good, service left some to be desired, but all in all I'm glad we stopped. After lunch we continued west and stopped at the Flight 93 Memorial. I took more pictures, but it should be experienced in person, so I'll leave it at that. By the time we left it was after 3 and my girlfriend was hurting from the ride on the stock seat and stock suspension. We were only an hour or so from Deep Creek Lake, MD which she had never been to, so we hopped on US 219 South to McHenry. It was pretty much a freeway for about 20 miles, then ended into an old 2 lane road with lots for truck traffic and some construction until it hits I-68. It follows 68 West for just a few miles and breaks off south again. We stayed the night at the Wisp Ski Resort and had dinner at Mountain State Brewing. Once again, food was good, service not so much. The next morning we took a spin around the lake before heading back on US 219 North. We had a picnic to go to around lunchtime so we pounded the pavement on I-68 to I-70, to I-95 to get home. So anyway, 470 miles later, we were back from breakfast. Beautiful scenery and a really nice ride and now I have the go ahead to buy new rear shocks!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I just bought the solo low and the passenger pillion, which I've heard is very comfortable. The pillion didn't come in yet so we did it on the stocker. This winter I'm going to put fox coil-overs on the rear and potentially do the front cartridges too. That airhawk might be a good idea to keep in the bags in case she needs it.

#7 ·
Nice write up and pictures but I don't believe you have a girlfriend.... no picture of her......I think she's imaginary...... Just saying. Stock seats and shocks suck for a passenger on a Special.......if you have one?

Calgaryglide

#12 ·
Always a good ride going out to Bedford, Johnstown, Deep Creek, etc...Great rodes and good places to stop and eat...Thanks for sharing your miles of memories...See you next year for SW!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.