Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had a TW-777 cam installed. It is fantastic, BUT, when I first start up, the engine sounds fine. As it warms up there starts to be a sporadic "knock". Increasing RPM's and it disappears. When I picked up the bike I noticed the knock and the wrench sez its due to the new cam with increased lift, etc. I am going to take it back tomorrow and ask them again. The power of the new cam is great and cruising I am getting 49 mpg, but I hate knocks of any sort. Hope to hear from someone. Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, posted under the wrong Forum.....HELP ADMINISTRATION!!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No opinions or ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have the 777s. They are really great. When you first start the bike it can miss a beat and actually stall. A quick restart and you are in business.

There is also a different mechanical sound at cruise. About 2200 rpm. Also, in turns, you can feel a difference in the engine coming from valve train.

That has been my experience over the last 2500 miles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I also have the 777s. They are really great. When you first start the bike it can miss a beat and actually stall. A quick restart and you are in business.

There is also a different mechanical sound at cruise. About 2200 rpm. Also, in turns, you can feel a difference in the engine coming from valve train.

That has been my experience over the last 2500 miles.
I have 777 in my bike and that different sound while cruising at 2200 is because you are lugging your motor. These cams work5122946491 better at higher rpm I try not to let mine drop under 2600 rpm but normally ride it between 2800-3000 while cruising. The valve train will be alittle louder then stock due to the ramp design of the cams but it should not knock on start up. Sounds like a lifter is bleeding down but it is hard to trouble shoot over the internet with out some kind of video.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upon further scrutiny, I believe what I hear coming from the ac is "reversion" and not a "knock" although that's kinda what it sounds like.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Did you have any head work done? You may want to get stronger valve springs when using a high lift cam. I use a SE259E cam which has similar lift as the woods 777 cam and I run the bike at rpms in the 2000 to 2500 range with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts