Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip up to Milwaukee sometime around the middle of May. I have not spent much time in that area and wanted to throw a couple of questions out there. First, the weather... I assume I can plan on some rain and some cooler temps, Im just not sure HOW cool. Any input on the averages for upper Wisconsin/Mich/Minn for that time of year? Second...Any 'must ride' roads or sights we need to plan for up that way? Trying to avoid the 4 lanes and see some of the country. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
460 Posts
First, where are you coming from? Might be fun to go up towards the Michigan side and cross on the Ferry. As far as weather, I go canoeing every year the week after Mothers day. I have canoed in shorts and no shirt, and I have canoed in the snow. It really is a crap shoot. Expect maybe upper 50's to 60's middle of the month. Possible 70's -80's towards the end, just pack for anything really and check forecasts.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
when i was up there, i made a stop at the museum, and had lunch at their restaurant. all in all a pleasant way to spend the day. good sandwich and craft beer as well.

i also took a couple hours and did the powertrain factory tour. very interesting as well. probably a slower pace than usual since i was the only one there so the guide spent more time on things that i found interesting.

if you've got the car with you, might stop by j&s jacks and pick one up. save on the almost $100 for shipping. they didn't have any in stock when i was there, but had just shipped some to the local hd store. they still had one in stock and i picked it up from them. got a 10% military discount as well. both the folks at j&s and the hd store were very friendly. had a nice visit with them.

and fuelmoto is not so far away either. before you go, call them and schedule an appt. drop your bike off one day in the morning and pick it up the next afternoon. great bunch of folks to visit with there as well.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Lot depends on direction you are coming from. Middle May generally can be on the cooler side, but not bad riding. We leave Wisconsin on the bike for a two week ride every year towards the end of May.
When you know when you coming for sure and what you may want to do while here give me a yell. Live 60 miles out of Milwaukee.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The "Driftless Area" of southwestern WI is where I spend a lot of my time riding. So many roads and towns to explore. Also as mentioned, Kettle Moraine Scenic Dr is very nice, and close if you plan to visit the Harley Museum. This route will take you through both the south and north units of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. From the south it starts at Whitewater Lake and ends at Elkhart Lake 115 miles to the north. Some of the most scenic roads in southeastern WI. Along the way, stop at Holy Hill Shrine (Hwy 167 and Hwy K) and climb the steeple. Spectacular views. Door County peninsula is nice too. Touristy but nice. Another great road is Hwy 55 from Shawno to Crandon. Good way to go if your heading to northern WI.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Looks like a possible meet up and ride in the works lol. A lot of us here in WI and northern IL

Middle of may is tricky. Be ready for anything really and hope for the best. Even for Rally durring labour day last year was cold and wet, years past it was 80-90 all weekend.

The ride through Holy Hill is neat, climb the tower for that view as recommended. I go through there a lot. Stop at Fox & Hounds right near there for a nice place to eat and the location is beatiful and does have motorcycle parking in front even though not a "biker bar", biker friendly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I should have said we are coming from Nebraska. Thanks for the suggestions. We definitely plan to see the museum. I will now have a place to start when opening up the map and planning the route to include some of those rides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts