Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a spyke for the heritage a year ago and it's had issues

Some times when I hit the start button nothing happens yet I have power at the wire and the electronic comp releases open as they are on the same circuit

I put an override button on the solenoid and it will crank every time
It will do it. Then all of a sudden work. Then it will stop working. Online fuse is 15 and has popped occasionally. But the releases work every time

Here is the plunger

And inside

It did run on one time. So that may have done some of the damage. But it's been a PIA from day one

Pulled it apart and Decided to change out contacts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got new solenoid rebuild and picked up starter relay. So starter is done as far as changing parts

Now on to chasing the big Electric gremlin started by measuring voltage at green wire. 10.46 when starter button pressed

Time to do volt drop test.

Checked the relay slots U which is BK/R from button 10.46

Then check direct voltage from battery at slot E R/BK which is power from main switch. 10.46

Hmm pattern?

Check voltage at power to main switch R red wire. 12.57 so I sm good to the main switch

Turn on main ignition and check R/BK which is feed to starter relay power E 10.46 volts

So it appears that the main ignition may be culprit in that there is a drop right at wire coming out of switch

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have the diagrams in the SM and your tips confirm what I was planning

I pulled both power delivery wires from the connection to the main switch.

Before power in 12.5. Power out 10.4 both sides

Pulled wires out and checked.
12.5 both sides so there is a draw somewhere that has to be found

Next up. Tank off wires back to switch check fuses then check connections yo front controls and lights.

I'm gonna find this sucker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts