Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my engine rebuilt about 5 months ago. 10 over pistons, new rods, lifters, and what not. They replaced the cam about a year ago. Now it is making a squeaking noise at idle and when I give it throttle. The dealer ship thinks it maybe a cam bearing or crank issue.

The funny thing is, despite the noise, it runs great. Can't see how the flywheel would be out of true if I still had normal power. It does have trouble starting, sometimes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Could be what they are suggesting and still running good. Get it checked ASAP before complete failure unless you have warranty or a good ESP. My crankshaft bearing went last spring and I could here some intermittent squeaking before it took out the motor. It also was running just fine and I couldn't figure out what it was. Ended my road trip early that's for sure and I'm glad I had a great ESP in the end.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I agree with RGKen. I would ask, did they true and wield the crank when you did new rods? Also, you might have a crank bearing that has walked. You say the dealer thinks, so I take it, you've already had it in and let someone listen to it. The main shaft bearing in the transmission also could have walked which happens frequently (more often than you think) does it make the sound with the clutch pulled in? IF not, I would be looking at a few things. Are you getting oil to the rocker boxes? You don't say if the noise seems to be coming from the bottom end or not. There are so many things it could be after a new build. The oil pump, was that rebuilt and checked too? Did they change out the inner cam bearing with torrington? Is it new style cam plate without bearing or old style with bearings? So many things it could be but for sure, stop riding it until you figure it out because it will come apart.

Edit: If you pull the cam cover off and pull the cam plate, can you make the crank move side to side at all and how much?

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
Until it is disassembled it is just speculation, however one source we have seen many times over the years that can emit a squeek or chirping noise at low speed and idle is a lifter roller that is failing. These types of sounds can also be related to a rod, bearing, or crank issues. Dont run it, any of these problems have the possibility to send particulates thru the engine and can cause catastrophic failure.

In the end before you jump to conclusions start with the basics, it may be as simple as an intake leak at the manifold or something minor :)

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
It sound like the lifters to me.
When the roller bearings start to go out on the lifters they will squeak at a idle and at higher rpm, it kind of sounds like you have a loud mouse in the cam chest.
Most people only relate a loud ticking noise to be a lifter problem which it is but they don't relate the squeaking noise to the lifters.
Lifter replacement is a easy job to do.

Reactions: Smarty

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
had a buddy with a 107 build, feuling cam chest, cams heads etc etc that had a squeaking which seemed to be coming from the rear rocker box. Upon disassembly it was discovered that one of his lifters (feuling as well) had failed and caused much damage in the cam chest. His bike is being rebuilt now and I don't think he is using feuling lifters this time.

The bike had just been rebuilt for the same reason and no thought had been given to the lifters previously.

Drew

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Just like FuelMoto said, there's no way of knowing until you get in there to see. All bearings can sound the same or they may sound a little different. My buddy said he thought my problem was lifter issues and he would bet 100 bucks on it. Well he was wrong and of course I didn't see any of that money.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, they finally took it apart. It turns out a lift failed, causing damage to the cams and flywheel crank. OK, this engine was rebuilt 6 months ago with new pistons, rods, valves, etc.... Now, again, I have SE part failures. I am looking at a new engine. Of course, HD does not support their parts after 3 months. This is the 3d set of lifters I have had within a year. 2nd set of cams and what not. The oil build up they promised I would not get after the rebuild happened again. almost a quarter inch of oil build up on my pistons. WTF????

·
Registered
169 Posts
wasn't there a post here on the forum from a guy selling a brand new take off TC103? if I was in your boat I might say forget about all that and drop in this stocker and go ride.

sorry you are having trouble, that sucks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
wasn't there a post here on the forum from a guy selling a brand new take off TC103? if I was in your boat I might say forget about all that and drop in this stocker and go ride.

sorry you are having trouble, that sucks.
If its the one out of PA, he sold it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking for options to fix the engine issue

Well, since I basically need a new build or a new engine, I have started working with the dealership on options. Here are the suggestions so far:

1. Replace the engine with a 103CI and do very little to it, since I am a 20K plus / year rider.
2. Put in a 110 kit and send the flywheel to Dark Horse.
3. Buy a long block 110 and go from there.
4. Buy an S&S engine. Multiple to choose from.

Either way, it comes down to money. Send a letter to Harley to tell them about the issue, especially since it was rebuilt less than a year ago, but ended up having the same issues, like burnt oil on the cylinders and lifter failing, causing all the other damage. We'll see where that goes.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined and have the basic hand tools you can do all this work yourself and save some bucks.
I would think the cheapest option is buying a 103 High Output take out engine and installing it yourself. These 103 HO have no mileage in most cases and it is just a simple engine swap.
You can get the engine for $2250 to $2500 and you only need the inner primary gasket kit and the transmission/engine interface gasket.
The next best option is the 103 short block option but you would still need to use the top end off your engine, any other option will cost you twice as much money.
The carbon build up on your pistons are most likely cause by either a bad tune causing the bike to run rich or there was too much oil in the engine causing the oil to come through the crankcase breathers and into the engine to be burnt, you could have also had faulty umbrella valves which would cause too much oil into the intake.
I installed a new 103 take out engine in my 08 and it runs great and was well worth the money, I also got a Powervision tuner and flashed tuned the bike.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
A friend of mine was trying to sell a 103 with 4000 mi about a month ago for $1200. Motor was in perfect condition, taken out for 120R swap. If you want I'll check to see if it is still available

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure, if he still has it for sale.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the solution is to buy a 110 long block replacement with 259E cams. Harley did not help at all, even though I just had an engine rebuild less than 7 months ago. Lessons learned.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'd still change the lifters even on a new long block. Actually, I'd keep the stock motor and build a 124" out of the stock cases.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Well the solution is to buy a 110 long block replacement with 259E cams. Harley did not help at all, even though I just had an engine rebuild less than 7 months ago. Lessons learned.
Sorry man
This sucks and Harley needs to step up and cover all the costs, sorry. For the price they are selling these bikes for, they should make sure the customer is good to ride. I hate hearing that Harley is doing nothing to help. I am in the same place with my new 2015 RGS. It's in the shop being pulled apart right now. Thinking I also have bearing issues in the primary or worse, the lower engine. It was making noise in idle and had a vibration issue. My dealer will let me know later today or for sure tomorrow. Man am I glad I got the extended warranty on my bike. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Swomack

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, you have an awesome bike! Same intake I have. I wanted the 110 anyway, so upgraded to it is the better deal. Got some discounts from the dealership, but still will cost me about 5 grand. So with the 259E cams and D&D Fat Cats, I should be close to what I was on HP and TQ. Have not rode in two months, which is forever for me, since I ride all year around. Due to the problems with the 103 with a stage 4 kit and CNC MVC heads, and just about every other type of upgrade, I doubt I will be doing that again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the bike back today. 103HP with 115TQ out of the box. Has to be tuned after 1000 mile break in. I'm happy.

Reactions: RGKen
1 - 20 of 21 Posts