Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some help...Has anyone done a comparison between the SS and Ohlins on the rear of there RG?
Not sure which way to go . any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I couldn't afford the ohlins so I have no experience with them. I do have the SS. They are the ride I was looking for without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the SS on the back of my 16 RGU. They ride great. You really have to find the perfect setting to make them just right. Setup based on chart, then ride, then work half turns, then ride, then quarter turns. Just keep doing it until it's just right. Pretty simple.

But if you want the best, I have heard from all corners of the globe ohlins are the best. You pay for it but if the best is what you want price isn't your driving factor. There are ohlins for close to the price of SS. From what I have been hearing about 100 and change difference in price from SS. The fronts are another story. Around a G from what I hear. This is just parts pricing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I couldn't afford the ohlins so I have no experience with them. I do have the SS. They are the ride I was looking for without breaking the bank.

I have the SS. When I was looking I liked what the SS had for the $650. Ease of adjustment was one of the keys for me. The Ohlins, it seemed to me had many option but you had to moved up the price range. I am very happy with my ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shocks

Thanks for the input......i think i will have to get out the check book and make a decision on comfort.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I called SS directly. Brian or Elia were both very good people to talk to.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Said this a few times........Os will be more $$ but not bank breaking more - If you shop for the right ones and work with the right people, you can get a great set of Os for not much more than SS

Everyone gets hung up on Os and $$$ - 95% of the folks who buy rear shocks just want something "better than stock"..........SS is a good fit for this - If you want more out of the rear then for a few Hundo More (if shopped properly) you can get Os - 99% of the people who would ride would not be able to tell Os from SS if adjusted to your weight and feel the same - When you want more out of a rear and ride a tad more "spirited" then the Os will show you what the extra 1% is all about

Either way, both are great shocks but please don't rule out Os because people on a forum post that they are expensive as no one on here knows what expensive is to you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Noted Price

Most HD riders do not know the difference and most do not take the time to read. Ohlins with the exact same features cost about $160+ less than the aforementioned $650 price tag. If you are a real provable RG.ORG member that is. Once the parts to increase the technology to a shock that does more, those parts cost more and the performance is increased. Now there is no apples to apples but apples to water melons. Doing this job since 2005 I have found that the #1 problem in getting the performance out of any shock is understanding how to set them up. I am afraid most of America never learned how to read than transform the word into action. When I go to shows I get customers come in stating their shocks do not perform well. I use simple hand tools than adjust them as per my instructions than the whole world is changed for them.

I believe we have a country that relies on their task being outsourced to others. I fault the government for not starting in the very beginning life skills from the beginning. Take our farmers who know a little about everything except how to play video games on their phone.

In both cases, get off your ass and look for the truth and not rely on others who have no real qualifications.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just ordered a set of O's from Howard @ motorcyclemetal.com and the price difference for an upgraded set w/ adjustable length, compression and rebound (#3-#3) was less than $100 more than SS.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The regular ones for 649. They work very well 2 up and towing a trailer. I was told I can gain about 140 lbs before I need to upgrade to the hd springs they offer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most HD riders do not know the difference and most do not take the time to read. I am afraid most of America never learned how to read than transform the word into action.
I believe we have a country that relies on their task being outsourced to others. I fault the government for not starting in the very beginning life skills from the beginning.
In both cases, get off your ass and look for the truth and not rely on others who have no real qualifications.
I don't know much about the SS, however I did have Ohlins at one time. For the vast majority of people that want performance, not just a little better than stock, and for most applications, the Ohlins are a good choice. However when purchasing Ohlins, be choosy on who you deal with. The quotes above should show the type of customer service you will get from some. If you want to be berated and have lies spread about you when things don't go his way, look no further.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a 16 RGS with SS. I couldn't be happier. A friend of similar fatness has a Rushmore CVO street glide (not sure what year) with the emulsified Ohlins (the cheaper ones) about the same price as the SS. We switched bikes for about 50 miles along the Mississippi, we both liked the SS better. A more compliant ride. Over the winter he installed SS and sold the Ohlins for $425 on Letgo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts