Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new 2018 RGS and was wondering if I should go for a stage 1. I don’t plan on going to a stage 2 in the near future. I’ve read threads on other HD sites that don’t recommend the stage 1 upgrade on a Milwaukee 8 unless you’re planning on a stage 2 upgrade.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I have the stage 1 and the HD tuner with HD street cannons on my 18 RGS. I took this path to keep my warranty without any issues when traveling. I feel an improvement in the way it runs and am happy with the results. I have no plans to do anything further in the tune department. I feel there are better tunes out there, but I decide to go with HD. With this being stated, tunes are like windshields, handlebars, seats and so on. There will be some good suggestions given and good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Stage (1) is fine and a great place to start....or end up and stay - Just know that you will not get that true HD sound as the M8 is not the twin cam and the CAT will muffle a bit - Slip Ons will help in sound but it is more of an "On The Gas" sound and not the rumble on idle - Idle and Start up will still be rather quiet as compared to Stage 1s of yor - I have also never heard anyone say "No S1 unless you want to S2" as IMHO, that is poppycock......S1 is a great addition to have and will let the bike breath better too

And Yes, I used the term Poppycock

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is it worth it? I have $950 invested in slip-ons, AC and PV, and for me the answer is yes.

My bike is a 2017 RGS, warranty ran out 1/17/19. Have had no issues except for the clutch and oil line clamp recalls, both done quickly and easily.

I too debated on doing the Stage 1, but ran into a killer deal from SteadyEddie on some used V&H HOs, and put them on the bike. Sound great, the bike ran great, BUT, they made a lean tuned bike even leaner as evidenced by the engine temp going up about 10-20 degrees.
So, after much study and consultation, I went with the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner, the one that goes with the stock cover, and the Dynojet Powervision Tuner, both purchased from Fuel Moto. At the time, they were offering $25 off this order, plus, they loaded a custom map into the PV that was set up for my minimal mods, ( HOs, stock header with cat, Big Sucker).

This map was flashed into my ECU, then did three autotune runs on top of this map, flashing the ECU each time. Bottom line, I can tell a big difference in the responsiveness of the engine, it pulls better in all six gears, gets mileage equal to before and runs cooler.

I have the PV mounted so I can monitor all sorts of parameters. That thing was a great purchase, and if I decide to do stage 2 or beyond, it will be equally as useful.

The Big Sucker was also a good purchase, and once installed, you can't even tell it is on the bike by the looking at it. Just beware, the instructions for installing it suck. I called AN, and they could not even explain what the parts were. I finally figured it out, after about a hour.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I wouldn't bother with Stage I if I weren't planning on doing Stage II. I have Stage II w/torque cam and highly recommend it.
Bill

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Just depends on what you goal is. If you're doing it for sound reasons it is very worth it and you will get some gain in performance but not a lot. If you're going for more of the performance aspect and not worried about changing the sound then it's not really worth it and yes it would be best to go straight to stage II.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm leaving mine stock. I bought it in October and put 4,000 miles on it. I have no complaints with the power. I really don't don't mind the stock sound with the M8. To each their own.
x2

i got slip-ons just for more sound. after about 5K miles the stock pipes open up a bit.

you're not gonna sound like a big block without a cam change, tho, and M8s aren't as lopey as pans/shovels/evos.

with all the other issues i'm proceeding cautiously with each step.

did the performance thing on my heritage and that bike just wants to be flogged. i usually oblige, tho, too >:)
hard starting, high heat and "survival of the fittest" parts are definitely something to consider.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Your ride your cash. If you want it louder and at least feel like it is faster when it makes more tone go for it. Most do at least the exhaust. Then many do the intake, handle bars , seat, shocks , wheel tires on and on. Then they do some of it two or three times. It is a sickness.
Enjoy the and enjoy your Mods.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm leaving mine stock. I bought it in October and put 4,000 miles on it. I have no complaints with the power. I really don't don't mind the stock sound with the M8. To each their own.
X3

I bought a 2017 RGU in Sept ‘17, have 10k miles on it, and I just couldn’t be happier with the sound and the power. I’ve owned the Evo and the twin cam, and I understand the difference in sound, but maybe I’m just getting old.....I.....don’t.....care. I will spend lots of bucks for comfort, but never any more for “loud” or speed/torque that I will never need. I’m becoming the geezer who hears an ear-splitting Harley race by and instead of saying COOL, I say REALLY?

Oh, all this typing. Time for a nap.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just depends on what you goal is. If you're doing it for sound reasons it is very worth it and you will get some gain in performance but not a lot. If you're going for more of the performance aspect and not worried about changing the sound then it's not really worth it and yes it would be best to go straight to stage II.
Just did the Stage 1 with all Harley parts. Very happy with the outcome. Just wanted a little more sound and for the bike to run well

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your ride your cash. If you want it louder and at least feel like it is faster when it makes more tone go for it. Most do at least the exhaust. Then many do the intake, handle bars , seat, shocks , wheel tires on and on. Then they do some of it two or three times. It is a sickness.
Enjoy the and enjoy your Mods.
Couldn't have said it any better! Just got my first HD last year and the sickness has already taken over! Each time I tell myself Im done, but then I learn about or something comes across my path and I just have to go to it! Wasn't even thinking about headers at all but ended up with a set of V&H dresser duals last night somehow! Now im looking at breathers ans so on and so on! Im only a year in and if this keeps up I won't be married much longer. And now I catch myself talking to myself asking which I would rather keep! LOL

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I recently purchased a new 2018 RGS and was wondering if I should go for a stage 1. I don’t plan on going to a stage 2 in the near future. I’ve read threads on other HD sites that don’t recommend the stage 1 upgrade on a Milwaukee 8 unless you’re planning on a stage 2 upgrade.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
RG - before you make a single decision, decide for yourself the power train warranty implications and the impact on your owner experience. Any modification to the bike that doesn't include all HD approved EPA compliant "performance" parts, and especially any aftermarket tuners, except for the HD Street Tuner, will void your power train warranty. Don't listen to any salesman, service manager or tech tell you different. Don't let them tell you "they can work around it". Once the dealership hooks your bike to the Digital Tech for any reason, it will detect any/all flash tune activity and flag your VIN to the mothership. In light of some of the reported power train issues with the M8, including tranny oil migrating to the primary, and oil sumping I'd recommend you weigh your risk tolerance and pocket book when making these decisions.

I haven't had any serious problems with my 2018 and the dealership did perform the secondary clutch actuator recall without issue. But if something more serious were to come up (i.e. fluid migration or sumping) I'd be up a creek without the proverbial paddle. In hind sight I wish I had done the same as a couple of friends that bought their 2018s the same month I did. Have the dealership put a set of mufflers on (easily swapped back to the OEM in case of power train problems) and leave everything else stock for 24 months.

If you decide to go Stage 1, I'd recommend the HD high flow AC (not really needed because the stock AC flows more than enough air), your preferred mufflers and a flash via HD Street Tuner. Apples to apples, my bike doesn't run that much better than the other two 2018s in our group, and there is only a slight difference in sound between the factory head pipes and my aftermarket head pipes using the exact same slip ons all three bikes. The "bad" trade off is that my factory power train warranty isn't worth the paper it was written on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts