Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got my invoice from Fuel Moto....everything checks out...for those who got their dealer to install their Stage 2, how many hours did they charge..if you are comfortable, feel free to share total costs.

I already installed the Stage 1 myself (Arlen Ness A/C, S&S MK45, and DynoJet PowerVision from Fuel Moto)

Fuel Moto is doing the following on my Stage 2...
  • Woods WM8-22X cam
  • Woods Alpha Lifters
  • FM EZ Pushrods
  • Cometic gaskets
  • Koyo Torrington Needle Cam bearings
  • S&S Tappet Cuffs
  • Red Line Oil
  • Oil Filter & drain plug o-ring
  • FM SS head pipe
  • Dyno Tune (this right here is the deal-breaker on why I'm having them do my Stage 2)
  • installing latest MoCo oil pump (I'm supplying it to them)
  • although I got to pay WI sales tax
They gave me a discount (10%) for being a returning customer, but I think the overall cost (hardware and labor) is lower than what my dealer would charge me (I haven't bothered asking and getting an estimation from them).

I just hope Fuel Moto can throw in some free decals when all said is done :p

Reactions: Bruce00

·
Registered
616 Posts
They charged my cousin 4hr's labor time to do the stage II install and new oil pump(which I assume didn't add any time)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine was right around what Ike said. I think that I paid around $500 for the same job

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
4 hours is a reasonable time to charge for a cam swap. The dyno pull has me scratching my head a little. I would have thought they had a library of maps to choose from and at least one of them was for that same parts package.

·
Administrator
10,589 Posts
If I deduct all the goof off time , I might have had four hours in my cam swap

JtB

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
4 hours is a reasonable time to charge for a cam swap. The dyno pull has me scratching my head a little. I would have thought they had a library of maps to choose from and at least one of them was for that same parts package.
Iam sure they do, but I'd bet the dyno time is just a quick check to make sure everything is spot on and to adjust if needed

Reactions: Lu and scotman623

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So got my invoice from Fuel Moto....everything checks out...for those who got their dealer to install their Stage 2, how many hours did they charge..if you are comfortable, feel free to share total costs.

I already installed the Stage 1 myself (Arlen Ness A/C, S&S MK45, and DynoJet PowerVision from Fuel Moto)

Fuel Moto is doing the following on my Stage 2...
  • Woods WM8-22X cam
  • Woods Alpha Lifters
  • FM EZ Pushrods
  • Cometic gaskets
  • Koyo Torrington Needle Cam bearings
  • S&S Tappet Cuffs
  • Red Line Oil
  • Oil Filter & drain plug o-ring
  • FM SS head pipe
  • Dyno Tune (this right here is the deal-breaker on why I'm having them do my Stage 2)
  • installing latest MoCo oil pump (I'm supplying it to them)
  • although I got to pay WI sales tax
They gave me a discount (10%) for being a returning customer, but I think the overall cost (hardware and labor) is lower than what my dealer would charge me (I haven't bothered asking and getting an estimation from them).

I just hope Fuel Moto can throw in some free decals when all said is done :p

Curious how far out are they making appointments? I've purchased from FM 3 times and always said if I was going to build the motor I'd make the trip. BUT Iam scared to make that trip.... with big cylinders, ported heads, larger injectors, ported throttle bodies and manifolds, etc, etc sitting on the shelves my budget would be blown big time 😂 😂

·
Registered
413 Posts
I’m sure they have a map they load to get the tune very close... Then off to the Dyno to fine tune and get the most out of your bike.... I think that price seems very reasonable my friend..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious how far out are they making appointments? I've purchased from FM 3 times and always said if I was going to build the motor I'd make the trip. BUT Iam scared to make that trip.... with big cylinders, ported heads, larger injectors, ported throttle bodies and manifolds, etc, etc sitting on the shelves my budget would be blown big time 😂 😂
I called three weeks ago (June 30) and they gave me a mid Sept date, so it's close to 3 months. If I could afford a stage 3, I would let them do it....now if SE adopts me, that's another story, most likely a Stage 4 would be done then :p

All kidding aside..I'm hoping that the Stage 2 is all I need...if I have to do a major engine rebuilt in the distant future, I might just trailer her to them and let them go at it.

Yes they have a generic map for my combo, but as others have said, it would have to be tweaked since the canned map is using FM's A/C (or some slight variable). Prefer the Dyno so it is exactly for my specific build & specs, and I'll be able to see my final numbers. They've done this for a long time & to many bikes and to be honest I trust them more than my nearby dealership.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The OP asked to share total costs, if willing. I'm hoping that these $400-500 cam swaps didn't include parts, otherwise that shop is working for peanuts.

If you just add up the parts list FM gave you, you're not getting screwed at all

·
Registered
389 Posts
The dyno pull has me scratching my head a little. I would have thought they had a library of maps to choose from and at least one of them was for that same parts package.
Not always. The actual run on the dyno was the best $$$$ I spent, after the first dealership used a canned map when installed Stage 2. Night and day difference. I think it shows attention to detail and the right place to get 'er done.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Not always. The actual run on the dyno was the best $$$$ I spent, after the first dealership used a canned map when installed Stage 2. Night and day difference. I think it shows attention to detail and the right place to get 'er done.
Exactly. I have all FM parts on my Stage 1, including their canned map. Tuning it showed big enough changes to be noticeable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts