Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 1000 mile ride for the Holiday weekend. IL MO Ark TN Ky. The bike runs fine as in power wise but man it has huge problems with pining, spark knock. So loud going down the interstate I could hear it over the radio. Sounds horrible! Gets even louder when I get in the gas hard. Stage 3 114 with the Harley Smart Tune Pro installed. I though the smart tune was so supposed to eliminate problems like this. I am pretty sure it’s running lean and getting to hot. The oil is clean and doesn’t load ok burned or like it’s been hot and the bike has a shit load of power. I have kinda eliminated the possibility of sumping causing the heat. Anyone have any ideas. To much timing or running to lean causing it to run hot ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant detonation problems. Damn phone.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Are you using premium high octane fuel? Regular grade will cause these issues in a normal air cooled heavy twin in hot weather, let alone a performance minded engine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was it tuned or are you hoping the H-D device will eventually sort things out?

The auto tuner has been on there since 300 miles. Bike has 5000 on it now. It was tuned with the SE street tuner after the build then the smart tune pro was added.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you using premium high octane fuel? Regular grade will cause these issues in a normal air cooled heavy twin in hot weather, let alone a performance minded engine.

Running 93 octane in it. It was hot this weekend but I have had a number of built motors and none of them spark knocked like this one ever.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Recheck the map, maybe the auto tune is at its limits and can't make further adjustments.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Auto tuner is for fuel mapping only. The spark retard is hard written to the map. That tuner the MoCo pushes with the canned maps has got to be on of the biggest rips they ever pulled.

Heat is going to make it worse, but it should never ping just cruising. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Or refund your money, riding it like that will kill it real fast. It could in fact have some damage already.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What Thermodyne said...do NOT ride it when its pinging/detonating. Take it straight back to the dealer. When it’s bad enough to hear it’s WAY too much.

Reactions: rider17

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Thermodyne said...do NOT ride it when its pinging/detonating. Take it straight back to the dealer. When it’s bad enough to hear it’s WAY too much.

It has been there since Wednesday.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got bike back today. They say it’s normal to spark knock on the interstate with cruise set lmao. Idiots

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got bike back today. They did nothing to fix it. Told me it was normal for a bike to spark knock going down the interstate with the cruise set. Lmao give me a break. Guess I am gonna have to risk warranty and get it tuned by a professional tuner since HD can’t even make there own motors run correctly.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Please for the love of God pull the plugs and post a picture. Then do some homework and find an Independent tuner and have it done right or at least ride it and see what they say. Please Im begging you. Your this far into it so $300 to $500 aint shit. My buddies got the exact same build as you and no pinging and bike runs like a bat out of hell. Please do it. Your dealership is hoping that your engine doesn't blow up until the warranty is over.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please for the love of God pull the plugs and post a picture. Then do some homework and find an Independent tuner and have it done right or at least ride it and see what they say. Please Im begging you. Your this far into it so $300 to $500 aint shit. My buddies got the exact same build as you and no pinging and bike runs like a bat out of hell. Please do it. Your dealership is hoping that your engine doesn't blow up until the warranty is over.

Is your buddies bike tuner with the SE pro street tuner ? The guy that tuned my last bike is busy and can not get to it. I am going to call Fuel Moto tomorrow and see what we can do. May take it up there and have them tune it.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Is your buddies bike tuner with the SE pro street tuner ? The guy that tuned my last bike is busy and can not get to it. I am going to call Fuel Moto tomorrow and see what we can do. May take it up there and have them tune it.

Im waiting on him to text me back but I think he went with the one size fits all SE. It was pretty pathetic how slow a "114" compared to my cammed 103. He took it to a local tuner and the bike is totally different. Much faster and smoother. I know he is super happy with it. Ill let you know as soon as I hear from him. Dont forget to pull the plugs and take a couple of pictures. That will tell a lot.

He just text me back. Its the TTS tuner that he used.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Got bike back today. They did nothing to fix it. Told me it was normal for a bike to spark knock going down the interstate with the cruise set. Lmao give me a break. Guess I am gonna have to risk warranty and get it tuned by a professional tuner since HD can’t even make there own motors run correctly.

I guess I’m not totally up to date on your situation sir but if I’m remembering correctly this is your new bike with full warranty on the build....no way for them to weasel out? Yes? Maybe you should try to get that “it’s normal” statement on paper or permissible Audio then just run it until the bottom end falls out or it breaks a piston. Start fresh and then have it tuned. Isn’t there any options in your area for dealers?
I’m not being a smartass Freedom’. I’m sympathetic to your issue and wish I had a solid piece of advice for you. Seriously though if you have a non disputable warranty I’d take it to an Indy with credentials because anyone that tells you any detonation is acceptable is a piss poor mechanic and is only going to cause more problems.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I’m not totally up to date on your situation sir but if I’m remembering correctly this is your new bike with full warranty on the build....no way for them to weasel out? Yes? Maybe you should try to get that “it’s normal” statement on paper or permissible Audio then just run it until the bottom end falls out or it breaks a piston. Start fresh and then have it tuned. Isn’t there any options in your area for dealers?
I’m not being a smartass Freedom’. I’m sympathetic to your issue and wish I had a solid piece of advice for you. Seriously though if you have a non disputable warranty I’d take it to an Indy with credentials because anyone that tells you any detonation is acceptable is a piss poor mechanic and is only going to cause more problems.

Are there Indy’s that have credentials to do warranty work ?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Are there Indy’s that have credentials to do warranty work ?

I know of at least one shop around here that SAYS they do warranty work. Dead center cycles. Not saying I would recommend them to anyone. I would think certified Harley mechanic would be all that was required. Harley endorses motorcycle mechanics institute, right? So if a shop has certified Harley mechanics they should be able to do warranty work. Maybe that’s only extended warranty after HD’s. Maybe I don’t have any idea what I’m talking about. Honestly just trying to give you ideas. You shouldn’t be stuck with one crappy dealer. Would be worth calling H-D corporate and telling them your issues with your dealer and ask them personally. Maybe an email too so you can get it in writing.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
sorry for your luck with this dealership. if i remember correctly this is your second adventure with these guys.

i'm thinking that if you take it to someone else and they re-tune it at this point the dealer is gonna weasel out on any and all future warranty claims.

if it's pinging, add some octane booster (as per instructions on container) and see if it goes away. if it does, dealer should be able to tune it to run on pump gas.

if it's detonation, it won't take long to destroy the pistons/rings and wreak havoc on your engine by circulating all those shiny bits through your oiling system.
it would also show up on a leak-down test, which, at this point, i would highly recommend.

find another dealer that will look at your bike and maintain warranty before you take it to an indy.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Freedom1974, aren't you the guy that had a boatload of issues with a dealer built TC? If not, nevermind, but having a motor pinging going down the road without a big load is a pretty good way to blow/destroy a motor. Don't know much, if anything, about the M8's but pinging/detonation is timing related. I would think you have a issue with the tuner person or tuner hardware.

PLEASE find someone to correct the issue. Calling Jamie and having a canned tune sent with a PowerVision would be 1000 times better, but obviously kill your warranty. If that important to you, load the bike and trailer it to another dealer asap

1 - 20 of 24 Posts