Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this question with, ‘this may be a stupid question’. I am looking at stage I air cleaners and most of the research that I have seen says to just pick the one that you think looks best, because there is not much of a difference between them in a stage I set up. For reference, I am going with the Harley tuner to keep my warranty for the time being. My question is this, is there much of a difference between the stock air cleaner and any of these hi-flow options? It seems silly to spend the money if I’m happy with the way that it looks and the difference may be negligible.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Let me preface this question with, ‘this may be a stupid question’. I am looking at stage I air cleaners and most of the research that I have seen says to just pick the one that you think looks best, because there is not much of a difference between them in a stage I set up. For reference, I am going with the Harley tuner to keep my warranty for the time being. My question is this, is there much of a difference between the stock air cleaner and any of these hi-flow options? It seems silly to spend the money if I’m happy with the way that it looks and the difference may be negligible.
First of all to go stage 1 you will need to ditch the stock A/C. It is restrictive and will not allow the extra airflow needed to make it a full stage 1. When you take it off and compare it to your new stage 1 A/C you will see what I'm talking about. Now as far as which Stage 1 A/C to get that is up to you as once you have an A/C that lets your engine take in its maximum amount of air going any bigger will not do any extra. Any stage 1 A/C will do this for you and that is why you are reading to just pick the one you like the best. Hope this helps.

What are you doing for the exhaust?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve got a 2018. No mods yet except I put on a pair of CVO mufflers that I will core out at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
For a stage one, I would advise that you stay with one that uses a full backing plate. That cuts down on a lot of the strange noises that emanate from the throttle body. A stage one really doesn't need any more air than the oem air box will provide.

SE has one, and you can rebadge the cover to the SE logo. Fuel moto sells similar ones for less $$$.

If its that look your after, then just pick one that floats your boat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Fuel Moto AC/DC air cleaner is the best bang for the buck. ($160 to be exact) You can run it open, or re-use your stock cover as their kit comes with the ring to run it either way. I also like the way the filter is designed where you can re-use the factory bolts that secure the backing plate, and run vent hoses into a catch can if you have blow-by issues.

·
Registered
505 Posts
After much research, I went for the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" AC which uses the original M8 cover on my 2017 RGS. The filter area is huge, looks like a K&N and it will provide plenty of airflow for stages 1-4, and above. It also has a full metal backing plate and eliminates the stock breather tubes, a nice feature. I ordered the natural colored backing plate as it was less expensive and you can't see it mounted anyway. Beware, the mounting instructions are pathetic, probably written by the same guys who write instructions for HD parts. YouTube is your friend.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-191185-arlen-ness-big-sucker-performance-air-filter-kits.html#!year=2017||make=HARLEY-DAVIDSON||model=TOURING ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL FLTRXS||brand=Arlen Ness

1 - 11 of 11 Posts