Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the stage V tire shredder kit installed over the winter and have been tracking my mileage since riding season truly began. Below are the results from my first ten tanks.

Mileage:
150.1 miles / 4.820 gallons = 31.14 mpg
140.1 miles / 4.908 gallons = 28.54 mpg (city riding)
130.9 miles / 4.614 gallons = 28.17 mpg (city riding)
191.8 miles / 5.362 gallons = 35.77 mpg
130.2 miles / 3.856 gallons = 33.76 mpg
152.5 miles / 3.775 gallons = 40.39 mpg
132.5 miles / 3.878 gallons = 34.16 mpg
143.7 miles / 4.200 gallons = 34.21 mpg
119.1 miles / 3.433 gallons = 34.69 mpg
71.8 miles / 1.810 gallons = 39.67 mpg

Ten tank average - 34.05 mpg

Aside from the two tanks that were city only riding, my mpg didn't take a huge hit. I'm also a bit of a throttle junkie, so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
yeah, but where's the fun in that? I mean, a stage v tire shredder kit is not really meant for the sunday rider :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah, but where's the fun in that? I mean, a stage v tire shredder kit is not really meant for the sunday rider :D
I see your point in the statement that you've made here, but I will have to disagree. Around here that's all that most of these dumbasses do on Sunday is shred the tire from one light to the next. :wink:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 124 and the only time I get close to 40 is in a large group when on the freeway. Normal for me is around 33 mpg.
When I did the motor I didn't spend that much money for the gas mileage and never understand when people do motor work and then ride for mpg.
Certainly "to each their own" but just my opinion. To be fair though I don't ride my bike as a daily commuter. I also don't look for the shortest path usually but the funnest (which does not get the best mpg)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I have a 124 and the only time I get close to 40 is in a large group when on the freeway. Normal for me is around 33 mpg.
When I did the motor I didn't spend that much money for the gas mileage and never understand when people do motor work and then ride for mpg.
Certainly "to each their own" but just my opinion. To be fair though I don't ride my bike as a daily commuter. I also don't look for the shortest path usually but the funnest (which does not get the best mpg)
I agree 100%, why would you spend that much money on a motor and not enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I enjoy it plenty. Even with very spirited riding the worst that Ive seen is 36mpg. Mind you, this is a very conservative build and I'm still running stock ported heads. 125hp/138tq.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I find posts like this comical, engine builds that are being fuel logged for mpgs. Really? Makes as much sense as buying a Toyota Prius and seeing how much horsepower you can get out of it by purchasing a slew of performance parts for it. You clearly built your motor because the factory one didn't provide enough of a thrill or meet your expectations of performance. However, tracking fuel on a built motor seems to take away your "man card" even if the attempt was to see how big of a hit you took from when it was stock. On another note, mid 30's is still way above what a muscle car would average......
:grin::wink:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Now let me be clear, I'm not opposed to spirited riding or occasionally burning up the back tire a bit. I was more or less referring to a couple of groups that I see on Sunday while riding anywhere near the coast.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I find posts like this comical, engine builds that are being fuel logged for mpgs. Really? Makes as much sense as buying a Toyota Prius and seeing how much horsepower you can get out of it by purchasing a slew of performance parts for it. You clearly built your motor because the factory one didn't provide enough of a thrill or meet your expectations of performance. However, tracking fuel on a built motor seems to take away your "man card" even if the attempt was to see how big of a hit you took from when it was stock. On another note, mid 30's is still way above what a muscle car would average......
:grin::wink:
There's another side to this coin...

I've been monitoring fuel consumption more regularly on "The Short Bus" than the other bikes / vehicles I own. One of the reasons is that "The Short Bus" is our go-to long distance bike (some places 'dem gas stations can be a little fer apart:surprise:), more importantly to me; I am validating the efficiency of the component selection / overall Build, and (along with the other fluids) monitoring the condition of the drivetrain as the miles progress... 50k, 4yrs on the bike, / 30k, 2yrs on the Build so far...

The only time I "ride for MPG" is when the low fuel light is on and I'm in unfamiliar territory (where's the next gas???), the rest of the time it's on... we're blasting, enjoying the bike:grin: unless the sign says "35" usually 10 over, everything is lovely over the Ton... (gotta keep that Man Card up to date>:))

The last 40-50 tanks or so, "The Short Bus" is getting a super consistent 38.7 MPG with "The Ball & Chain" (slow down is not in her vocabulary) in tow, mostly loaded. I mean super consistent, 38.6xx to 38.8xx... which is 3-4 MPG better than my Bud's stock '15 CVORGU with a Pipe & "Doc" Tune, riding together to BikeWeek...

As far as a Prius (Hybrids) for performance, have you seen the recent offerings from McLaren, Porsche, BMW, Koenigsegg ????
It's a different world now...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts