Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting issue I havent ran into before, after about 20ish mins of riding, Bike will sputter and stall. As soon as it stalls it will run again for about 5mins sputter and then stall..

Ideas?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
First Off.......whats up Brutha? - How is the new build coming? - I am sure it has 28 Speakers and is over 200/200 >:)

This is going to sound REAL juvenile but have you checked the Batt Connections? - I only ask as I had the exact same thing happen to me......I ran through everything from EFI Remaps to Fuses to fucking blinker fluid.......and a buddy came over, popped my seat off and said "Hey Einstein, tighten this"- As my old world Mother would say, I felt like a Penny Waiting for Change. :crying:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First Off.......whats up Brutha? - How is the new build coming? - I am sure it has 28 Speakers and is over 200/200 >:)

This is going to sound REAL juvenile but have you checked the Batt Connections? - I only ask as I had the exact same thing happen to me......I ran through everything from EFI Remaps to Fuses to fucking blinker fluid.......and a buddy came over, popped my seat off and said "Hey Einstein, tighten this"- As my old world Mother would say, I felt like a Penny Waiting for Change. :crying:
Whats good man.. keeping speakers to a minimum and holding off on the build for now.. :) how are things with you?

yes I just replaced the battery, Plugs seem to get rich once they start stuttering and stalling.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Whats good man.. keeping speakers to a minimum and holding off on the build for now.. :) how are things with you?

yes I just replaced the battery, Plugs seem to get rich once they start stuttering and stalling.
All good here amigo - Waiting for Mother Nature to get off her period so I can get the Bike out - @Smarty talked me into dropping Ohlins Front and Rear into the Sofa and I added some new shoes to complete the ride - Cannot wait to feel her flow man

I am tapped on your issue and the rich plugs have me thinking it is a Map thing on your tuner - What Map are you running?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good here amigo - Waiting for Mother Nature to get off her period so I can get the Bike out - @Smarty talked me into dropping Ohlins Front and Rear into the Sofa and I added some new shoes to complete the ride - Cannot wait to feel her flow man

I am tapped on your issue and the rich plugs have me thinking it is a Map thing on your tuner - What Map are you running?
Map is good.. I should Mention that, this ran fine on the 4 full pulls on the dyno and test rides...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Costanza OUT...............now idea Bro - I was born good looking, not smart
Well this is what I am Starting with:
Checking Grounds
Check fuel filter
Check Vacuum Lines
Check injectors and wires
------------------------------------------

If none of that works:
Check Coil
Swap Thundermax
Check o2 Sensors
Check Internal handlebar wiring

thats what I got so far on my todo list..

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Well this is what I am Starting with:
Checking Grounds
Check fuel filter
Check Vacuum Lines
Check injectors and wires
------------------------------------------

If none of that works:
Check Coil
Swap Thundermax
Check o2 Sensors
Check Internal handlebar wiring

thats what I got so far on my todo list..
Quite a list Papa-San............good luck man

·
Registered
83 Posts
After is all warm, does it run for five then die, wait a few min restart then die 5min later? or does it sputter and not stay going except for the 5 min interval?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After is all warm, does it run for five then die, wait a few min restart then die 5min later? or does it sputter and not stay going except for the 5 min interval?
So it is sporadic, the longer you ride the more it sputters..

Example - First start of the day and ride about 20 mins maybe a sputter or 2 nothing major.. Left about a 2 hours later within 10mins noticeable sputter and progressively gets worse. 5-10 mins backfire, no throttle for maybe a half second (sometimes can throttle through it) at this point stalling is random. just cuts off, pull in clutch and starts right up no issues for 2-5 mins (sometimes you have to let it sit for 10-15 mins to be able to actually ride for a short period of time) longer you ride shorter the time gets where you have issues.. Also sometimes it will sputter and lunge..

·
Registered
83 Posts
coil starting to crap!!!! Get a can of compressed air (LARGE) and when it starts to sputter, flip can and spray to freeze the coil. Bet bike will run for a good distance!! My sportster was doing same thing while back.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
coil starting to crap!!!! Get a can of compressed air (LARGE) and when it starts to sputter, flip can and spray to freeze the coil. Bet bike will run for a good distance!! My sportster was doing same thing while back.
Ok ill start there, thank you it was so sporadic I didnt think it would go partially

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sounds like a coil to me also. It gets hot and breaks down, cools off and works till it's hot again. I hope that's all it is.

Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Any DTC's??

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
You may be getting air in the fuel of course this is just a guess but you may want to check the fuel lines inside the tank, also check for a warped fuel filter housing.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may be getting air in the fuel of course this is just a guess but you may want to check the fuel lines inside the tank, also check for a warped fuel filter housing.
ok Ill do that.. Also forgot to mention gas mileage was horrible on my ride :) We are taking

·
Registered
828 Posts
Bad gas mileage and it intermittently sputters while running rich...and it's been dyno'ed. I'm with weak/dying coil.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bad gas mileage and it intermittently sputters while running rich...and it's been dyno'ed. I'm with weak/dying coil.
something else to think about. In early 2000s, the EFI touring bikes had issue with a temp sensor that was in the cycl head that tells the ecm the operating temp. The senor sometimes went bad giving bad readings. Corrosion from water.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
something else to think about. In early 2000s, the EFI touring bikes had issue with a temp sensor that was in the cycl head that tells the ecm the operating temp. The senor sometimes went bad giving bad readings. Corrosion from water.

Just a thought.
thanks ill add it to the list..

no one local has a coil thats my luck :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts