Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to ask this question. Has anyone experimented with other than the 2 C-clips furnished with the standard ride height mono tubes. Progressive says they were originally designed to run with no clips at all but had complaints because in that configuration they drop the front a 1/2 inch so they added the C-clips. Being an average 200lb rider just looking for opinions if you have tried both ways. Considering the work involved to change this later I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses... I took one clip out and figured I would see how that goes, Progressive suggested leaving both out or 1 for my weight if I was 245 I would use both unless you want to lower it a little... Those 1/4 inch clips makes a difference they lower the front essentially the thickness each. I'm going to a 130/60-19 tire in the front. Some say it's a little taller others say it's virtually the same height as the 18" oem.... If anyone knows where that info can be found let me know!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I did not use any clips on my install. It does lower the bike some which I am OK with. I would say it lowered it about 1 to 1.25 inches, which is obvious when you look at my sliders. Now I have not road any other bike with a monotube setup so have nothing to compare it to (other than what I read). I think but I am not sure the brake dive may be a bit more than others here have reported when using the spacers.

My experience is that the brake dive is greatly improved but not eliminated as I have read by some. I installed the 944's in the rear before the monotubes. I did not like my ride very much and thought the 944's were too stiff. With the monotubes, it is a new bike.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not use any clips on my install. It does lower the bike some which I am OK with. I would say it lowered it about 1 to 1.25 inches, which is obvious when you look at my sliders. Now I have not road any other bike with a monotube setup so have nothing to compare it to (other than what I read). I think but I am not sure the brake dive may be a bit more than others here have reported when using the spacers.

My experience is that the brake dive is greatly improved but not eliminated as I have read by some. I installed the 944's in the rear before the monotubes. I did not like my ride very much and thought the 944's were too stiff. With the monotubes, it is a new bike.
Your experience would confirm what Progressive told me... that's worth noting.

Hogpro at 180lbs is liking the 2 clips which according to progressive should have zero... So this topic can be very subjective. A decent suspension should be firm yet compliant, when you get it right it's magical.

I think it's worth noting as we all know Progressives directions are pretty bad... If you are approaching 250lbs or more they actually recommend 3 preload clips even thought the directions do not state this and the kit only comes with 2... I think these will work out just fine even though there are a lot of dealers now pushing the Ohlins... I would recommend a riding school before paying 3x's the cost of the Monotubes just my opinion though all the money in the world won't teach you skills~ I'll likely opt for those next year though I don't wanna be the ginny pig...

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
I went with one clip. It rides great . No front end dive yet not too harsh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts