Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they're not so much winter mods as they are spring mods.
I don't have a garage and the weather hasn't been very cooperative here in the mid-Atlantic so cut me some slack.
Anyway, finally had a decent afternoon so I dug in.
I've got Hog Tunes, 5X7's to go in, new oil temp gauge, red, Super Bright LED's, for all the fairing gauges, Heat Demon's grip warmers, new grips and a new horn cover.
First, I took off the left saddlebag to get to the side cover to remove the main fuse. Safety first!
Then, I removed the windshield. I had replaced the stock wind screen last year and maybe I over tightened the well nuts cause a couple of them were a bitch to get out.
Next off came the outer fairing. Pretty easy, remove the turn signals, remove the six screws holding the fairing halves together, two "long" screws on the bottom and four short screws in the middle and on the top, pop it up, unplug the headlights and done.
I knew I wouldn't finish everything today and I don't have a safe place to store the outer fairing so I planned on hanging it back on between sessions so I removed the headlight bezel and the headlights.
Removing the stock bezel was a bitch but getting the headlight assembly out was EZ. Squeeze the three green tabs and it pops right out.
First thing was gettin rid of the stock fairing speakers.
Before I started taking the old speakers out I wanted to make sure the Hog Wired grills i bought would fit and yea, they would, if Hog Tunes hadn't glued their grills on! Grrrrrrr! Wasted $$$$$
On that note, it appears that the stock speakers AND Hog Tunes have the same as Hog Wired grills just with a cloth covering. I'm assuming to try and keep out the H2O.
So, removed the speednut, remove the three screws holding the grill onto the inner fairing. Hog Tunes is VERY specific in their rather brief installation instructions that the factory grill screws are NOT to be reused with the HT speakers. The stock screws are longer than is needed for the HT grills and would DEFINETLY poke through the inner fairing if reused. BE AWARE!
Next I removed the worthless air temp gauge and got a feel for exactly how to remove the stock light bulb. Just grab the back of the lamp holder with a pair of pliers, wiggle and pull.
Then I put in the new oil temp gauge, with it's new, red LED, in the inner fairing. I hooked the power for the light up so I could make sure I did it right. I put the main fuse back in and yep, I can screw in a lightbulb! :D I'm saving the remainder of the oil temp gauge install for tomorrow or Saturday.
Oh, at this point I also checked the new speakers. SWEET! Much better sound!
Then I took the main fuse back out and put the new red, LED's in the remainder of the gauges in the fairing. Main fuse back in, checked all the gauges and all the new LED's are working. :)
This was the point at which I knew it was time to call it a day.
Tools away, outer fairing back on, left the turn signals hanging, wrapped in a shop cloth so as not to scratch them or anything else, main fuse back in, side cover back on, left saddlebag back on, windshield, headlight bezel and headlight assembly safely tucked away, cover back on and it's Miller Time. :rolleyes:
So with this all said, I still need to do the wiring for the oil temp gauge, I haven't even looked at the instructions yet to see how I'm supposed to run the cable and install the sensor. I also haven't taken the speedo/tach nacelle off to get an idea of what else I need to take off to do the wiring for the Heat Demon's.
So I'll post my findings, trials and tribulations as I proceed.
I really hope I can have all this done by Sunday so I can go for a ride. Supposed to be in the upper 60's and sunny :cool: but we'll see.

Bye for now!
HSP

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great minds must think alike - I did three of the same things to my scooter over the winter...hogtunes 5x7, red LEDs, and oil temp gauge!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Man I feel bad that your doing all that outside. Next time your needing to work and need a dry place, let me know.......I'm less than 3 hours and have plenty of space...........

·
Registered
593 Posts
Best of luck with the final steps. I did the Hog Tunes Big Ultra and wedge bulbs this winter myself. Of course went blue and had to send the tach, speedo and radio out. All in all, it's time for the riding season to start here in Maryland. Hope to hear you on the roads?? :cool:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yo Bro.. I'm only a couple of miles from ya.. Need garage space to work on your bike.. Give me a call anytime.. or drop me a PM..

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Man I feel bad that your doing all that outside. Next time your needing to work and need a dry place, let me know.......I'm less than 3 hours and have plenty of space...........
Yo Bro.. I'm only a couple of miles from ya.. Need garage space to work on your bike.. Give me a call anytime.. or drop me a PM..
Ya'll may regret making me that offer some day! :rolleyes:
I promise I'll bring beer though. :D

HSP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts