Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed it a couple times back in the beginning of the riding season but now its worse. When i hit the start button i hear the starter not fully engaging and a loud grinding noise. It happened very intermitenly, maybe once or twice every 20 or 30 startups. Now its happening more often. A buddy heard the noise and thought it may be the starter Unfortunately im out of warranty so i dont want to take it to the dealer. I know the starter is fairly easy to remove if that is the problem. If anyone has any ideas or if this has happened to you please let me know what the fix was. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What year bike?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 09 with 20k miles

·
Registered
331 Posts
I noticed it a couple times back in the beginning of the riding season but now its worse. When i hit the start button i hear the starter not fully engaging and a loud grinding noise. It happened very intermitenly, maybe once or twice every 20 or 30 startups. Now its happening more often. A buddy heard the noise and thought it may be the starter Unfortunately im out of warranty so i dont want to take it to the dealer. I know the starter is fairly easy to remove if that is the problem. If anyone has any ideas or if this has happened to you please let me know what the fix was. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
My 08 Ultra Classic did that and I kept taking it to the dealer who said they couldn't replicate the problem. They finally heard it and blamed it on the starter. That was not the problem, it was the compensator with a loose nut but it ended up damaging the starter and clutch cage (all replaced under extended warranty). They later found the main engine bearing protruting from the housing by an unch and a half and replaced the engine at 56K under warranty. At 73K I got my shark and ain't looking back.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
It is not the starter it is the engine compensator sprocket! You need to replace the junk stock engine compensator with the SE Big Twin Engine Compensator HD part#40274-08A for $249.95. Replacing the compensator sprocket will take care of all your starting issues.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not the starter it is the engine compensator sprocket! You need to replace the junk stock engine compensator with the SE Big Twin Engine Compensator HD part#40274-08A for $249.95. Replacing the compensator sprocket will take care of all your starting issues.
Ive been reading alot of other threads and the compensators seem to be a big issue. Where exactly is the compensater located and how much of a pain in the a$$ is it to change? I have the service manual and cant seem to find it. Im probably just getting way to aggravated by the problem:mad:

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
The engine compensator sprocket is located inside the primary, the primary chain goes from the compensator to the clutch assembly. You will need to take off the outer primary cover to change the compensator. Putting on the SE compensator will also help eliminate primary noise. DO NOT replace with the stock compensator pay the extra for the SE compensator.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine compensator sprocket is located inside the primary, the primary chain goes from the compensator to the clutch assembly. You will need to take off the outer primary cover to change the compensator. Putting on the SE compensator will also help eliminate primary noise. DO NOT replace with the stock compensator pay the extra for the SE compensator.
This causes the starter to intermitenly grind? Are there any special tools needed to change the compensator?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
It should tell you in the service manual what special tools that are needed. You will need a Primary Drive Locking Tool which you could get from HD part #94102-09 for $34.95 or you could make the tool yourself, it is just a flat bar that is beveled on the ends.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. Since it will be hibernating soon it will be on my list of things to do over the non-riding months:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a starter on my '00 Road Glide that gave me "grinding" problems.

It turned out that the bearing in the primary that supports the shaft from the starter was worn. Thus, the shaft's teeth wouldn't always engage on the corresponding teeth on the starter "ring" properly. They'd skip and grind.

- John

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just remember the compensator bolt turns counter clockwise.

·
Registered
253 Posts
it's your starter clutch. I just had the dealer do mine. Good luck

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info. Since it going to be put away for winter soon ill be doing both starter and compensater to cover my a$$ for when she come out of hibernation. Already cant wait for that.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Just replace the compensator, when I started to have issues with what I thought was the starter I took the bike into the dealer they replaced the starter and everything seem to be somewhat OK for a couple of thousand miles then the issues (grinding, clunking & starter stall) returned, that's when I had the compensator installed, still using the starter that was grinding, clunking & stalling and I have yet to have any starting issues and I have 35K on the bike sense the compensator was installed & the starter the dealer put on is working fine.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just replace the compensator, when I started to have issues with what I thought was the starter I took the bike into the dealer they replaced the starter and everything seem to be somewhat OK for a couple of thousand miles then the issues (grinding, clunking & starter stall) returned, that's when I had the compensator installed, still using the starter that was grinding, clunking & stalling and I have yet to have any starting issues and I have 35K on the bike sense the compensator was installed & the starter the dealer put on is working fine.
im going to the dealer tomorrow to order the compensator unless they stock it then ill bring it home. i plan on doing the work myself cuz its out of warranty. i figure since i work on my customers mercedes and bmw's i can figure this out. got the manual and a buddies bike lift, im good to go. thanks for the help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts