Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never seen anything like it before. When i go to start my bike, it turns over once and then everything stops. Makes u think the battery is dead. But it's not. If i keep on the starter switch, after that initial turn-over, it will pause for a full second or more and then go about it's business and start right up.

It doesn't always happen, but more times than not, i would say. And i've never had it not start, but it worries me that sometime it might leave me stranded.

Hard to describe, hopefully that all makes sense. But i was wondering if anyone had had this happen or might know what's going on? Thanks

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I wonder if these bikes have automatic compression releases to aid in starting. Sounds like it is trying to start against full compression stroke on the bike and after that initial stroke the exhaust valve is open making it easier to turn over.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the dude i bought it from acted like it was normal. For whatever reason, i didn't question it too much at the time. Think i was blinded by how much i wanted it. I probably shouldn't have bought it, but i'm an idiot. And i love the bike besides this issue.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
What year and mods ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra that has developed the same condition. I had a 2014 Ultra Limited that did the same thing. I replaced the battery with more cold cranking amps and solved the problem...for a while. Now experiencing the same delayed start on the CVO.. To-date, it has started, but makes me wonder if there isn’t a power drain occurring.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I have a 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra that has developed the same condition. I had a 2014 Ultra Limited that did the same thing. I replaced the battery with more cold cranking amps and solved the problem...for a while. Now experiencing the same delayed start on the CVO.. To-date, it has started, but makes me wonder if there isn’t a power drain occurring.
On newer bikes ,I'd look toward falty ACR ,like twowheeladdict mentioned.

Reactions: RoadTrip

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
What year is the OP's bike? Any mods or tuner? Does it do this when the motors hot or cold?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a '13. Basically stock except for some RC slip-ons and some mini apes. Tried to get a quick video, but of course it didn't do it that time..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Its a '13. Basically stock except for some RC slip-ons and some mini apes. Tried to get a quick video, but of course it didn't do it that time..
I would think either your battery has a bad cell, which will show voltage but won’t have the amps f0r starting, or the ACR’s aren’t working. Testing a battery for voltage alone doesn’t tell you about the health of the battery. It has to be load tested.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more i keep hearing and researching, i'm leaning towards thinking it's the auto compression release. Haven't seen much as to how to remedy the problem though. Did see a guy say he would just bump the starter button once before actually trying to start it. Did that and it worked, but not sire how good that is on the starter?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Alice did that to me for a year or so before the starter finally (completely) died. The brushes were shot. If the bike had a history of someone grinding on the starter instead of waiting for fuel pressure to build up, it could be on the edge.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Replace the ACR's. They're not that expensive nor hard to replace.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thought my battery was going but it checked out good. Was told two things, always start the bike in neutral and the compression thing does have an effect.
Since starting it in N it seems to definitely have a positive effect.

For what it’s worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts