Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After writing Shaniqua over to a friend's house yesterday, as I went to get on the bike and started, it was making a sound that wasn't right it was like struggling to turn over and made sounds that I can't describe, so this morning I went to go down and make a video in the clunking sounds were not there it was just a click of a solenoid, which is what makes me think it's a starter any opinions on this?

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,030 Posts
After writing Shaniqua over to a friend's house yesterday, as I went to get on the bike and started, it was making a sound that wasn't right it was like struggling to turn over and made sounds that I can't describe, so this morning I went to go down and make a video in the clunking sounds were not there it was just a click of a solenoid, which is what makes me think it's a starter any opinions on this?

@TexasSmoker Christopher if I remember correctly You have a new Antigravity Battery did You push the button on top and see if it starts up? If so I would check the status of the battery first before going to the starter motor.
Best of Luck.
Mike U.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just went through this with a customers bike, Granted it was an older sportster but same issue and automatically thought starter but checking and cleaning connections I went ahead and checked resistance on the cables and sure enough both were weak. 2 new cables and starts like a champ.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,310 Posts
Check electrical first, as mentioned - if that all looks good, consider the starter clutch as a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would an all balls replacement starter, be quality enough to purchase? Or can you guys recommend something better, I'm actually heading down to the rally today to look for a starter, so far I'm thinking about either an all balls, Spike
Battery was right on point it was definitely not the battery,

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Pop the cap off the solenoid and see of the contacts look bad. The new style solenoids are more reliable that the older ones, but they're still just a prettier version of the same damn thing - so the same rules apply.

Vid sounds like everything is working up to where those contacts need to be making contact...but ain't

Anybody else remember jumping the lugs on the solenoid in a parking lot late at night with whatever was handy back in the day?

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,310 Posts
Pop the cap off the solenoid and see of the contacts look bad. The new style solenoids are more reliable that the older ones, but they're still just a prettier version of the same damn thing - so the same rules apply.

Vid sounds like everything is working up to where those contacts need to be making contact...but ain't

Anybody else remember jumping the lugs on the solenoid in a parking lot late at night with whatever was handy back in the day?
I was messing around with that on my Shovel the other day. I recommend rubber coated arms on the pliers.

·
Premium Member
2017 Road Glide Special
90 Posts
Good practice to be sure the source of power is right making sure it has not only correct voltage but ample cranking amps as well. The video sounded like the starter solenoid is kicking the starter drive in as it should. Sounds like poor connection or power from the source. I add an aftermarket push button cap that goes on the end of the starter solenoid. With the key in the on position you can eliminate the resistance upstream and often crank. It also compensates for a solenoid who's contacts are going or have gone south.
Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wires looked good, so I went down to HD and got a brand new starter, so I will put it on in the morning when I have energy, I have seem to Burnt the candle at both ends for the last 3 days........

·
The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,030 Posts
Wires looked good, so I went down to HD and got a brand new starter, so I will put it on in the morning when I have energy, I have seem to Burnt the candle at both ends for the last 3 days........
@TexasSmoker Best of Luck Christopher!
Keep Us Posted and ask away if You have any concerns.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Wires looked good, so I went down to HD and got a brand new starter
($$$) Ouch!

But curious lad that I am - if you get a chance - pop the cap off the solenoid and let us know what the contacts look like.

They're easy (and cheap) to rebuild, and it might make a good spare if my guess was correct.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big_gary and Zedbra

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
It does sound as if it is a starter issue .
But the 103/110 models did have issues with the compensator and a bad compensator can cause issues that sound like the starter is bad. Not saying that's your problem but if a new starter doesn't fix the problem replace the compensator.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay got the new starter put on, still same result, there's something locked up not letting the motor turn over, I put the bike up on a stand put it in six gear and try to roll the tire nothing, put the bike in neutral try to spend the rear wheel and it turns,
I went ahead and double checked the power lines power sources to the battery as well as to the fuse block, all is good there, I don't know if I should bust the primary open and see if it's the compensator? Going to go ahead and pull the plugs just to see if that makes it a little easier to spend the engine, I am curious as to where to start now I know something is keeping the motor from turning.....

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Okay got the new starter put on, still same result, there's something locked up not letting the motor turn over, I put the bike up on a stand put it in six gear and try to roll the tire nothing, put the bike in neutral try to spend the rear wheel and it turns,
I went ahead and double checked the power lines power sources to the battery as well as to the fuse block, all is good there, I don't know if I should bust the primary open and see if it's the compensator? Going to go ahead and pull the plugs just to see if that makes it a little easier to spend the engine, I am curious as to where to start now I know something is keeping the motor from turning.....
The primary would be the first place I'd look . Hopefully it's not the compensator, that's an expensive fix if you want to stay oem on the pre 2011's

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
I put 3 compensators in my 08 with the 103 build each time it sounded as a starter issue.
I put 2 HD SE compensators in the bike and they eventually failed , 3rd compensator was a Baker it cost more money $$$$ but it's still in the bike and working fine.
Another thing it could be is a timing issue but the bike should turn over if that's the problem.
Pull the plugs and hit the starter button and see if the engine turns over, if it doesn't then it's the starter or you have a bigger problem then you would like to have .

Good luck
Mark

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked the oil last night, it looked clear as a bell just like it was brand new, I checked the tranny fluid it looked good like it was brand new, so now I'm going to pull the primary cover off today,
Like I said before the bike was running great, stopped buy a buddy's house, as we were leaving to go ride it made a couple of chug lug was trying to turn to start and then just quit, no turning over no nothing just the noise from the solenoid clicking....
Could a bad compensator, cause a motor to lock up or not spin?

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
I checked the oil last night, it looked clear as a bell just like it was brand new, I checked the tranny fluid it looked good like it was brand new, so now I'm going to pull the primary cover off today,
Like I said before the bike was running great, stopped buy a buddy's house, as we were leaving to go ride it made a couple of chug lug was trying to turn to start and then just quit, no turning over no nothing just the noise from the solenoid clicking....
Could a bad compensator, cause a motor to lock up or not spin?
How many miles on that sled ? Comp usually wouldn't stop a engine from spinning over but could. If all looks good in the primary, flip her over and check the Cam chest. One of your tensioners might of grenaded.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
40,000 miles, and up to this point trouble free.......
I guess I need to pull the actual primary because all I can see is the clutch, we'll take it one step further, and pull the primary off to take a look, something for sure is keeping the engine from spinning......

1 - 20 of 152 Posts