Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a question about a starting issue Ive been having with my 2009 RG. Heres the problem. If I try to start the bike in neutral from a dead stop the starter kicks in but doesnt engage to start the bike. It will just grind. Now if I leave the bike in neutral and roll it back about 10 feet or so it will sometimes start and not grind.

Second scenario if I keep the bike in gear and start it that way it will always engage and start.

Does anyone have an idea as to why it does this? It has a brand new battery in it.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Yep it sound like the compensator is going bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping it was just going to be as simple as putting a new starter in it. I'll be ordering a new one soon. Is it better to put a stock one in or just get a screamin eagle?

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I was hoping it was just going to be as simple as putting a new starter in it. I'll be ordering a new one soon. Is it better to put a stock one in or just get a screamin eagle?
I don't think the stock one is even an option anymore, only SE on the 96 CI up bikes.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
You can just replace the starter for a temporary fix but the bad compensator will take that one out too. If your bike has the original compensator in it currently you will have to change out the stator rotor as well which I believe is another $150ish on top of the compensator. As far as the starter is concerned, you can rebuild it with a new starter clutch for roughly another $150ish which I would recommend doing as my 09 did the exact same thing yours did.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
The problem is not the starter so save your money and buy the compensator.

Reactions: VikingRider

·
Registered
593 Posts
starter problems

No answer, just a question. How do you know it's the compensator? Is the grinding noise the compensator or the pinion gear? Just trying to learn something here so I know what to look for when mine takes a dump.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would have chosen a Baker Comp Sprocket and friend of mine has it - great quality! JMO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the bike used about a year ago with 21k on it. So im not sure if its the stock compensator or not.

I was looking at the Baker compensator setup last night and it looks like a nice setup but expensive. Are there any advantages over the SE?

Does anyone know the part number for the rotor I will need?

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
The problem is not the starter so save your money and buy the compensator.
You are correct but the bad comp will wipe the starter out eventually. I had the same problem with mine and had to rebuild the starter too even after I replaced the comp

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I put the Baker comp in my 08 so I had to put in a 2011 new stator rotor and for what it's worth you may want to put in a new stator while you're in that far but that adds to the cost. There shouldn't be any thing wrong with the starter if you fix the comp soon enough if you wait too long the starter may go bad.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you are going to rebuild your starter with a new clutch, go with the all balls unit. I snagged one off of amazon for 60ish bucks shipped with no tax. It works great and came with the everything I needed for the installation and it was quick and easy.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Buy the screaming eagle compensator and put one extra bellevue spring washer (the medium one facing the same direction as the one on the outside) and you will not have anymore problems out of your compensator. Starter is an easy rebuild. 09 with miles on it, compensator is needed no doubt.

Edit: I replaced my 16RGS with 7000 miles on it. Added the extra spring and have the quietest compensator I've ever heard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. I just purchased a NIB Baker last night off of evil bay for $400 shipped. Ill have to get online to see how much I can get a new rotor for. Hopefully this one lasts for awhile.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Buy the screaming eagle compensator and put one extra bellevue spring washer (the medium one facing the same direction as the one on the outside) and you will not have anymore problems out of your compensator. Starter is an easy rebuild. 09 with miles on it, compensator is needed no doubt.
I've heard of adding another spring washer in helps but what does it do for the chain alignment

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I've heard of adding another spring washer in helps but what does it do for the chain alignment
It changes nothing. When you torque down the compensator, it goes right back where it was. You are just putting more spring pressure pushing on the back part of the compensator, not the sprocket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts