Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went out to get on my bike to come to work, and when I turned the ignition it made the usual sound I think its the fuel pump presurizing. Then when I went to push the starter button.....NOTHING, I pushed it about 4 or 5 time and a couple of the times it made a click like it was trying then about the 6th time it finally started. This has happened before. Does it mean my starter is going out? Any ideas on what I need to check?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Battery and/or it's connections
+1^^^
This would be a good place to start. Also check the connections at the starter.
There is a small wire that goes to the back of the starter and that is from the starter relay, if that small wire isn't getting a good connection then the starter will not work.
There is a possibility that the starter relay is going bad so if the connections are good and you continue to have a problem them swap out the relay.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
I would definitely check the connections at the starter and battery but you may still have a bad starter as well. If you're getting a single click with each push of the start button then theres power getting to the starter which would indicate a bad starter. If you're hitting the start button and don't hear any clicking then there's a power or contact issue. Have a test light handy. Ground the test light and while pressing the start button check for power at the starter wires. If there's power then you need a starter, if no power then its a power issue like bad connection, bad starter switch, bad relay or fuse or broken wire. Have a small hammer or screwdriver handy as well to lightly tap the starter while pressing the button. If it starts then you'll need a starter. Always start with the basics like checking for power

1 - 7 of 7 Posts