Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is about my 08 ultra classic. A few months ago the compensator died so I put in the SE unit. About 3 weeks ago the enginge started cranking hard. Now the starter doesn't engage. I haven't pulled the primary cover or starter yet to have a look it is a stock 96 incher with 45,000 miles. I looked online and found starters for $140 compared to the almost $400 from the dealer. Any thoughts? I am going to put the Hayden chain tensioner on it when I fix it.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
What condition is your battery in? Being that the bike is a 08 the battery could be going bad causing the problem. But chances are the stock compensator just wore down your starter.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
It is a very good chance the bad comp did your starter in. Happened to mine. You can buy just the starter clutch assembly from a dealer for about $125ish and rebuild it yourself. Its not very difficult to do. Also like someone mentioned make sure the battery is up to snuff too.

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
The guys are givin' you some good advice here... I'll through a couple more at ya. Newer electrical systems often get over looked if you live in hot dry climates like I do you have dry rot issues, if its humid climates you get corrosion. Check you connections, clean and tighten, then use a dab of Vaseline or or silicon electrical grease. I would get a new battery and some spark plugs as well. A combination of bad gas these days and high energy ignition = tired plugs. Clean and inspect you plug wires with an ohm meter as they get so hot from the air cooled engine they can develop cracks which weaken the spark delivered to the plug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts