Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after being on an extremely high stress job for over a month, and smoking WAY too much during the ordeal, I've decided to start my long road to putting the cigarettes down. A good friend and coworker that was on the same project, had started using one of the "vape" type E-Cigs right before this job and used it throughout not touching a regular tobacco cigarette the whole time. Needless to say, after this project I felt like a walking Marlboro, and like crap from smoking too much, so here I am. The wife and I both went out to a lady's house yesterday who sells these things and we both got us a kit. I have to say that either this thing is really helping me already, or I'm just to the point where I don't wanna smoke anymore and it's a mental thing, but either way, it's been over 24 hours since we picked these up and I've had 3 real cigarettes since then. I actually don't like the taste now. I've gotten used to the flavors of the vape cig I'm using and makes a real one taste like crap. I'm sure there are "not so good things" involved with using the E-cigs, but if I can get off the real tobacco, it's a start right? Well, I just thought I'd share where I'm at, and hopefully, I can keep the positive mental attitude to get away, and STAY away from tobacco. I started with the highest mix of nicotine, and plan on weening down on the strength each time I get new vape mix to put in the unit. Hopefully this'll work!

Thanks for listening
Scott

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Good job! The first step is the hardest. Congratulations on deciding to quit, I'll be pulling for you as I'm in the same boat (over a month now without a smoke).

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Congratulations on the decision. It was the hardest, but best thing I have done. Once your over it, reward yourselves, with the money you save with a nice vacation (or more mods to the bike:D)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Conguadulations!!!!! That is awsome news!! Quitting is the best and hardest thing you can do!! Like previously said reward yourself (more glide toys!!) Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Congrats Man, it was a hard road for me before the urges stopped. But its well worth the effort. Once your senses start coming to life again is awesome. Smells and food tastes so much better.

Remember, stress will always happen in life. Resist wanting to smoke when having a bad day. Stay strong and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Congrats on the decision to quit. Been 21 years since I quit cold turkey. Riding is my stress relief along with golf. The key is to find a way to deal with the stress. Once you ween yourself off nicotine, find something to do with your hands. Chi orbs are especially relaxing. Best of luck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
179 Posts
I quit a couple years ago when I never thought I could and it's definitely one of the best things I have done. Unfortunately it took watching my father suffering for many weeks in a hospital bed before pass from smoking. I decided I'll go another way and it was real easy to quit once I made up my mind.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Congrats on the decision to quit. I myself have given up smoking and am now(as of yesterday) 4weeks clean from cancer sticks. My decision came from quitting right before I got married last year. I usually attend a "bike night" in a buddies garage wherw lots of people smoke. I picked it back up with a month or two. I hid it pretty well from mrs_garvin90 till we were at a party and she showed up early... early enough to catch me going outside with a half empty pack in hand. I can't describe the disapointment in her eyes towards me. That and one of our 9am drivers has been smoking for 30 years, his skin looks like shoe leather and his voice sounds like he looks. As I was quitting, I hadn't smoked in several days... as such I still had a few smokes left, so I thought I might finish them. I took two drags and just about threw up. Im proud to be smoke free for about a month. No one will judge you if you relapse, but I can honestly tell you that there is far less painful ways to kill yourself than smoking. I know, because the other reason I quit is a friend of the family died from emphysema. She was smoking, two packs a day, while on oxygen, till the day she died.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Good luck on your journey to be smoke free!

I smoked 3 packs a day for years and I tried all those stop smoking aids and they really didn't work for me. I woke up 1 morning in 2/2004 and told my self that I was tried of being a slave to tobacco and I just quit cold turkey and it didn't even bother me. Once you get it in your mind that quiting is what you want to do then it is easy to quit because you have the mental part accomplished. Quit smoking aids either feed your body nicotine or still provide some sort of oral fixation which I found made it easier to relapse. The sooner you get rid of the quit smoking aids the better your chances of success. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm in your corner. Stay strong and good luck.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Way to go. It can be a tough, ugly road but you can do it. Just one day at a time is all that you can do but you've got a whole mess of recovering smokers pulling for you. And at $65 a carton per week - thats a whole lotta bling for your bike.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I quit January 27 2012 cold turkey after smoking for 39 years. I woke up one morning and said enough was enough. I was not smoking out of enjoyment but out of habit. My wife had never smoke a cigarette but since when she meet me I was smoking she never complained about me smoking. She only asked before we got married that I did not smoke in the house so the children would not have to breath it and that our house would not smell like a ash tray. I never had a issue of smoking outside or in the garage no matter how cold or hot it got outside. And I am thankful that none of my kids smoke. My wife and co workers encouraged me along the way which helped. As was mentioned before if you put your mind to it and even ask for a little help from the man up above you will do it. I think quitting smoking is one of my biggest accomplishments in my life. I sincerely wish you the best of luck and success.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I quit January 27 2012 cold turkey after smoking for 39 years. I woke up one morning and said enough was enough. I was not smoking out of enjoyment but out of habit. My wife had never smoke a cigarette but since when she meet me I was smoking she never complained about me smoking. She only asked before we got married that I did not smoke in the house so the children would not have to breath it and that our house would not smell like a ash tray. I never had a issue of smoking outside or in the garage no matter how cold or hot it got outside. And I am thankful that none of my kids smoke. My wife and co workers encouraged me along the way which helped. As was mentioned before if you put your mind to it and even ask for a little help from the man up above you will do it. I think quitting smoking is one of my biggest accomplishments in my life. I sincerely wish you the best of luck and success.
Almost a year and a half smoke free WAY TO GO. Cold Turkey is the way I did it and it is all in your mind and once you set your mind on something it is easier then you think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Been smoke free for over 7 years. Cold turkey is the way. Once you WANT to quit you will. I do chew the hell out of tooth picks now but better than smoking. Good luck it will get easier.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts