Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really hoping someone can help me out here I'm going crazy.
Just installed a diamond micro v2 amp, moto 602 speakers , PAC sni-35 loc on my 13' road glide with stock head unit. When I turn it on there is a constant static noise at mute all the way up until about 4 bars of volume before it gets drowned out my the music. After that it sounds pretty loud and clear. I've tried grounding the amp to the negative battery post, both grounding posts in front of the battery, the ground on the trans and to the front of the frame and still the same problems. I've tried multiple rca cables, a new sni-35 and even another micro v2 amp. Also tried the PAC sni-1 ground noise isolator with no change at all. Also double check all of my wiring and connections . Any troubleshooting advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely out of ideas on what to try next.
Thanks in advance
-Louie

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
How close is the power/ground to the RCA cable? I know there isn't a ton of options to keep them separated, but you might try some some heavily insulated RCA cables.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How close is the power/ground to the RCA cable? I know there isn't a ton of options to keep them separated, but you might try some some heavily insulated RCA cables.
Thanks I have them as far apart as I think I can get them. I have the amp mounted on the throttle side of the fairing behind the storage pocket. The power and ground for the amp coming through from under the tank with all of the other wires and the rcas going up to the loc which is velcro'd to the side of the stock radio. Also I have tried 3 sets of rca's already all with the same results unless they make some that are extra heavy duty that I'm not aware of

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Exrpnt, how do you have the Micro 2v2 set up?
It does sound like a ground problem but could be something else.
I have the same amp and have the Turn on Mode set to Remote and the X-Over Switch set to Flat.
I don't have any static at all.
Best of Luck!
Let us know how you make out.
Mike U.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Really hoping someone can help me out here I'm going crazy.
Just installed a diamond micro v2 amp, moto 602 speakers , PAC sni-35 loc on my 13' road glide with stock head unit. When I turn it on there is a constant static noise at mute all the way up until about 4 bars of volume before it gets drowned out my the music. After that it sounds pretty loud and clear. I've tried grounding the amp to the negative battery post, both grounding posts in front of the battery, the ground on the trans and to the front of the frame and still the same problems. I've tried multiple rca cables, a new sni-35 and even another micro v2 amp. Also tried the PAC sni-1 ground noise isolator with no change at all. Also double check all of my wiring and connections . Any troubleshooting advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely out of ideas on what to try next.
Thanks in advance
-Louie
My 12 has this noise as well, not static just white noise. I have diamond 2v2 and hertz Mille pros with a pac line converter

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was having this issue. Traced mine down to the RCA line that plugs into my amp.. Was a loose connection there at that terminal of wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was having this issue. Traced mine down to the RCA line that plugs into my amp.. Was a loose connection there at that terminal of wires.
Exrpnt, how do you have the Micro 2v2 set up?
It does sound like a ground problem but could be something else.
I have the same amp and have the Turn on Mode set to Remote and the X-Over Switch set to Flat.
I don't have any static at all.
Best of Luck!
Let us know how you make out.
Mike U.
Well just tore it apart again to check my settings and connections. I had my turn on set to remote and x-over to hp. I did try flat but it doesn't change anything. Really lost on what to try next. I do have hd daymaker lights and read somewhere on here that they can cause issues. Not sure if they came from the factory with these or not as I'm the second owner. But I did notice that there are a couple of wires looks like a power and ground that aren't being used in the bunch that goes to the lights. There is also another plug that isn't being used that has 4 wires on it. Not sure what they are for but I'll try to add a picture maybe is part of my problem? I tried running a ground wire from the unused black wire to the negative k. The terminal thinking maybe that needed to be grounded but also didn't change anything.
Hoping someone can chime in with some more ideas I hate the thought of having to bring it to the dealer and trying to see if they can figure it out. But now I'm thinking its that or just run the speakers without the amp.
Thanks again
-Louie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are your gains set at? Noise floor can be attributed to your gains setting more often than not. If you turn the gains down does it disappear?
The gain on the loc came all the way up. And the amp I had at almost half way or about 11 o'clock. Turning either one down does quiet down the noise but they have to be pretty much all the way down for it not to be noticeable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remove the loc and see it that makes a difference.
Thanks but the only way I think I can do that is to cut rca ends off of the plug into the amp input. I only have this one so not sure if I want to try that yet I ordered another loc and tried that to see if my original was the problem but it didn't change anything. It seems a lot of people are using the loc. Ill try and get a spare amp input plug and give that a shot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That amp can use the speaker level input vs pre amp input. Sounds like you'd need the harness/ plug for that.
just when I think I finally have this thing figured out... called diamond today to find out about the plug to use speaker input rather than the rca and the tech recommended I just buy a set of rca cables and cut the the ends to attach the my existing speaker wires from the head unit to try it without the loc. It didn't seem to make any difference. He also said that the loc isn't necessary with this amp so that's how I have it set up now. Still having the problem I called the dealer, they reminded me that their rate is 85$ an hour so definitely not going that route. Went to a local car audio store who said to trying to run a ground from the chassis to the negative part of the rca. When I hold the wire to it it just makes an awful loud pitch constant beep noise. Then I tried that same ground wire from the chassis to the negative speaker wire ( all of this done with volume at mute) and the static noise I'm trying to get rid of went away! so thinking my problem is solved I wire it all up and test again but when I raise the volume there is no sound. take the wiring a part and realize that the extra ground does get rid of the static but also and music. Could my stock radio be the problem?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Hawg Wired amp I purchased used. After a lot of work and head scratching I finally just got a new amp and it works fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts